No announcement yet.

Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is going to decimate my pocket book.

Comment

Couple of questions

Will the 4.6 photon handle the recoil of scar 17? (308). It will be surprrssed

I have a surefire led scout light. Has anyone used the surefire IR conversion kit?

I have an extra larue 20moa 30mm qd mount. Will this work?

And last Jason can u pm me pricing and availability. I am thinking I may have to pull the trigger soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        Eco, why is the visible signature of the two illuminators different? Do you higher-quality illuminators have less signature?
        I dont know the wavelength each of those puts out but the lower the wavelength ( nm ) the more visible it is. ( but you also get more range through NV ).

Comment

I received my 4.6 Photon on Thursday. I bore sighted it Thursday night. The scope is not really self explanatory, I would have been lost without the instructions. But once you get it figured out, using it is pretty easy.
          Saturday afternoon, in the bright sunlight, I sighted it in. Saturday night about 8:15, it was pretty darn dark at the lease. I was sitting in front of my camper and playing with the scope, getting it focused at about 100 yards, and out walks a deer, soon to be followed by another. They found an oak tree at about 90 yards, and ate acorns for about 20 minutes, I could see horns, could see how wide they were, but could not count the points. I was using the medium setting on the ir illuminator. You could still see them on the low power setting, but the medium was better, at that distance, the high setting seemed over kill. The sight picture was good and it could have been an easy shot on hogs or varmits. I was extremely impressed by the scope. My one complaint is the rubber lens cap for daytime use, I can see it be easily lost. It fell off in my gun case, and took me a while of searching to find it. I need to rig up some sort of string through the lens cap and have it stay attached to the scope, when it's not in use.

Comment

^^ after tinkering with mine I have the same concern and the manual is awful.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your initial impressions. I'm seeing a lot of guys go the Butler Creek scope cap route as a replacement.

Comment

Rem, with that set up how are they using the scope during the day?

Comment

Originally posted by Tsix-eightX View Post
                  Rem, with that set up how are they using the scope during the day?

Just drill a little hole I think.

Comment

I bet you could drill a hole and put a filter on the inside. Glued on the edges.

Comment

I did some more research online after lunch. Someone who didn't work for sightmark but had been in contact with them was saying they have redesigned a new cap, and will be providing one to everyone who has previously purchased the new model, and including the redesigned cap with future models.

Comment

Interesting info rem.

Comment

Thanks to Jason, I've got one of these Photon 5's. Have been playing around with it, and have loved using it, but wanted to be able to use the Video Out port on it more efficiently than a small recorder adaptor to be viewed later.

This weekend I was able to use my DIY monitor in the field and let me say it is AWESOME! I've built a battery box out of an ammo can that I keep in my blind, with a 20W solar panel on the roof. The battery is a 12v 18ah battery, for reference. I am able to plug this headrest monitor into my battery box, hook the Photon up through the video cables, and boom, I see what's in the scope on a 7" monitor! Even better, you have a HUGE field of view in the monitor that you do not get to see in the scope. I have a feeder pen at 100 yds from my blind, and we could see the entire pen in the monitor, but only about half of it in the scope. We could easily identify deer (Doe or Buck and about how big the rack was), coons, rabbits, everything on the monitor!

Saves a lot of headaches of switching the gun between hunters to 'see what's out there', keeps the kids entertained and most importantly, it is CHEAP! You just need a 12v battery, the amp hours you choose will determine how long it can run. At a .30 Amp draw, if my calculations are correct, this 18ah battery could run this monitor for 2.5 days straight.

Ya'll might want to give this a try! It works better than I ever imagined!

Links:
                          Monitor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adaptor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battery: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

RedRaider, that's amazing. If you don't mind, please post some pics of that in use. Could be very cool.

All, I have confirmed with Sellmark (the US importer for Sightmark) that new lens caps are indeed being produced. Current estimate is 2-3 weeks, at which time it appears they will mail them to customers who ask for a new cap.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413837844.925868.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	24338611Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413837858.875839.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	24338612Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413837871.225448.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	24338613

We didnt get a good pic of the video on the monitor. But the setup worked great!

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X