No announcement yet.

.40 s&w versus .45 acp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you watch some ammo tests with ballistics gel using quality self defense hollow points there really is no difference between the 9, 40 or 45 except for recoil, controllability and most importantly for me magazine capacity and the beating the gun takes esp with a 40.

I wathced a great YouTube video last night called Ballistics 201 showing all of this. The guy claimed that he did some testing for a police department using "human analog". Ill find the vid and post it. Im thinking they were using pigs or something. His opinion, which seems very infomed is that the caliber makes no difference when all things are equal considering bullet types.

Do what makes you happy and pick the gun that fits you best but I vote for the 9mm with a +P 124 grain SD load.
    Last edited by TheCracker; 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Kinda long but informative and eye opening

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eARONnDXhug"]Ballistics 201 - 9MM vs. 40S&W vs. 357Sig vs. 45ACP - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
        .... and to me in my M&P .40, it doesn't snap like a Glock but pushes back into the palm of the hand. It has as much recoil but in a different direction.
        Do you have a .357 Sig barrel for your M&P? If so, how does the recoil from that compare to the .40 and the .45?

Comment

The ONLY viable solution,,,,,,,,one of each

Comment

i have a 40 love it but i got it because its cheep to shoot. my favorite pistol is my 22 single six

Comment

I sold my 40 and bought all 45! I shoot much better with the 45.

Comment

I have both got a tauras 45 compact for my wife she did not like the recoil. Got her a
                SR40c and likes it better recoil not as bad as the other but i like them both.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCracker View Post
                  Kinda long but informative and eye opening

Ballistics 201 - 9MM vs. 40S&W vs. 357Sig vs. 45ACP - YouTube
                  Pretty good video. He makes some good points.

Comment

Both are great calibers...I prefer the 45. Bigger hole!

Comment

The key is see if you can get some friends together with a lot of different models and shoot them, see what fits YOU. YOU should be able to hit a 1/2" dot at 8 yards with a good shooting pistol. If you can't shoot it, look for a different model.

Comment

I prefer the.40 s&w myself. That is what I shoot.

Comment

Probably been said a few times but in my experience the 40 recoil is a "snap" with a lot of muzzle jump while the 45 is more of a "push" type recoil. I feel like the 45 recoil is absorbed by the body while the wrist and forearm take the brunt of the 40.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                            Probably been said a few times but in my experience the 40 recoil is a "snap" with a lot of muzzle jump while the 45 is more of a "push" type recoil. I feel like the 45 recoil is absorbed by the body while the wrist and forearm take the brunt of the 40.
                            Very well said.

Comment

Last edited by tvc184; 02-21-2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                                Do you have a .357 Sig barrel for your M&P? If so, how does the recoil from that compare to the .40 and the .45?
                                I have never even shot the .357 but have the M&P in 9mm and .40.

Comment

Working...
                                X