.40 s&w versus .45 acp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rackulator View Post
    I am torn between these two calibers. How much difference is there in recoil between these two? From what I have read there's not much difference in price, but most say they like the recoil of the .45 better. What's your thoughts on this?
    The recoil might be "snappier" on the .40 but I can get it back on target faster than the .45.

The price of the .40 ammo (the real price of a handgun) is generally cheaper than the .45 and sometimes for practice ammo, several dollars a box cheaper.

Comment

.... and to me in my M&P .40, it doesn't snap like a Glock but pushes back into the palm of the hand. It has as much recoil but in a different direction.

Comment

I have and shoot both also. The gun makes a lot of difference as stated above. .40 in my PX4 feels completely different/better than .40 in a Glock 27 - both great guns but the way the recoil feels is different. Hard to beat a 1911 in .45 but harder to conceal (for me). Tough choice.

Comment

Both are good calibers but I choose .40SW. Same to more power then .45 and you usually get more rounds in the gun.

Comment

I have both and the 40 sits at home while the 1911 goes everywhere with me. I can shoot the S&W 1911sc MUCH better than the Glock 23. As a matter of fact the Glock is about to be put up for sale to help fund another 1911.

Comment

Test drive a Kahr.

Comment

im a .45 fan but both are great rounds

Comment

45 for me.....I've had and shot both over the years, when I turned 21, I went and bought a Glock 27 and carried it for a few years and still have it. When I could afford it I bought a 4" 1911 in 45 and it is night and day. The 1911 to me is easier to conceal because it has a thinner profile. Weight is similar considering 8 rounds in the 1911 and 12 in the Glock. I carry 185 grains in the 1911 and 180 grains in the Glock.

I agree with the snappy comment about the recoil on the 40. I never realized it until I shot a 1911, then went back to shoot the 40 and it was a huge difference to me. Personally I like the 1911 and the push better. Recoil seems to come straight back towards your body, which to me makes it easier in double tap situations.

Really and truly, with modern ammunition, 9mm has just as much penetration and knock down as either of them. Cheaper ammo, less recoil, same terminal performance. Not trying to turn this into a war, but I have all 3 and all 3 have their place in different concealed carry situations. Not sure I could pick just one, but 9 and 45 seem to be on me more than my 40
                  Last edited by tommy1005; 02-21-2013, 07:33 AM.

Comment

I own both. My .40 is a glock 27 and my .45 is a ruger sr1911 commander and a pre ww2 1911 I inherited from my grandfather. I prefer .45. Like said above, my ruger is easier to conceal comfortably for me and when it comes down to it I like the way it shoots better too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecoboost View Post
                      I sold my last 40 today.... 45 and 9 for me...
                      Yep. I'm not a real big fan of the .40S&W. Just too snappy of a round and I really don't have a use for one. I'm about to pickup a carbine conversion kit for one of my 1911s so I'll have that but I don't really like it in a handgun. I prefer .45. and if not .45 It's a 9mm. I like to keep it simple and not get crazy with a million different cartdidges.

Ike

Comment

Ammo makes a difference on recoil...

Comment

Like stated above. i chose .40 for round count over .45. plus ammo is cheaper. maybe by just a little bit per box but those boxes add up.

Comment

I have owned 2 40's and got rid of them both. I will echo the comments here about the 40 being a higher pressure round with more snap. 45 for me now.

Comment

Learn what the term "recoil mechanics" means...then make a easy educated choice..

Comment

Way to go fellas!!! A topic where everyone stays on course. I prefer the .40 for overall capacity on the mag. Recoil isn't really that big of a deal to me between the .40 and .45. Not to mention I haven't seen .45 ammo in a while and .40 is usually still on the shelf.

Comment

Working...
                                X