Purchasing a legal assault rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing a legal assault rifle

I have a few guns, though I've always been more of a bow guy. However, due to the recent politicization of the Sandyhook tragedy, I decided I should buy a legal assault rifle while I still can (I bet I'm not the only one thinking this). I live in Kansas and don't know where to even begin. We have a Bass Pro and Cabelas, but I heard you can't get one there. Do you guys have any pointers?

There is no such thing as an "assault rifle". That's a media term to scare people who don't know about firearms. The only thing that would be illegal would be if it was full auto or had a suppressor or a shortened barrel. Then you need to pay the tax fee on it and get the approval to own. I'm not very familiar with the process but I do know there is a process. A regular semi automatic AR (which doesn't stand for "Assault Rifle") is perfectly legal to own. Finding one in the craze of everyone wanting them banned might be a chore unless your willing to pay $2000 for an $800 gun.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
      There is no such thing as an "assault rifle". That's a media term to scare people who don't know about firearms. The only thing that would be illegal would be if it was full auto or had a suppressor or a shortened barrel. Then you need to pay the tax fee on it and get the approval to own. I'm not very familiar with the process but I do know there is a process. A regular semi automatic AR (which doesn't stand for "Assault Rifle") is perfectly legal to own. Finding one in the craze of everyone wanting them banned might be a chore unless your willing to pay $2000 for an $800 gun.

I agree I have a shotgun that cost $1700 and I almost traded it for a $600 AR but luckily I have a friend thats an ffl dealer and he said no way dont do it. So I backed out and he said it will settle down. He is pretty knowledgable of guns of all kinds and laws and everything that goes boom.

Comment

You can own a suppressor, at least in Texas, you have to apply to the ATF and buy the tax stamp takes about 6 months to get cleared.

Comment

You mean an AR-15???The hard part is going to be finding one.And when you find one it's going to be over priced more than likely.And after you buy a $2000 rifle you'll have to wait to shoot it because there aint any ammo.So my best advice would be to wait a while longer until people stop panic buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic Assassin View Post
            You can own a suppressor, at least in Texas, you have to apply to the ATF and buy the tax stamp takes about 6 months to get cleared.
            And he said as much in the post

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic Assassin View Post
              I know that's why it was listed as having to pay the tax and apply for it.

Comment

Originally posted by asttbe View Post
                And he said as much in the post
                Someone was paying attention!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  wait a while longer until people stop panic buying.
                  Hit the nail directly on the head. Once the media dies down it shouldn't be too bad.

Comment

I know that's why it was listed as having to pay the tax and apply for it.
                    I know you did man, I was just adding to what you said not trying to correct you. Just saying that you have to go through the ATF.

Comment

I don't think anybody should own an "assault rifle" and I have none.I do however have several"defense rifles"!!

Comment

I have one I will part with. I'll take your rig arm for payment. Seriously I just bought one after the craze from a big chain store and just got there when they opened. It's worth a shot and several chain stores around here are limiting AR and ammo purchases. Good luck picking one up.

Comment

Ok this was helpful; I appreciate it. When I was an MP, my favorite weapon was the M4 Carbine. So if I get one of these in semi auto, without a suppressor, I shouldn't have a problem?

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Look online for a colt 6920 and hopefully backorder it. Rra, dpms, bushmaster, anything other than colt, bcm, lmt, or others at this level of the game are going to make you disappointed. Until rhen, dont settle for second rate crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X