Long range rimfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post

That’s doubtful. Long barrels on .22 rimfires actually slow the bullet. Most of the powder is burned around the 16 inch mark. Longer barrels almost always chronograph lower velocity than shorter barrels when it comes to .22 rimfires.
    Did some checking on velocity with several barrel lengths, 20 inch showed about the fastest. A 28 inch barrel and a 12 inch barrel were almost identical.

Comment

I have no practical use for one of these old training rifles so why in hail do I slobber when I see one?

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        I have no practical use for one of these old training rifles so why in hail do I slobber when I see one?
        Because it's not practical to be practical when it comes to gun purchases.

Comment

Makes me wish I still had my 513T.

Comment

Those are nice rifles you have there. I just picked up today a 1968 Savage Anschutz Mark 10 that is spotless and looks almost new. It has a new trigger. I don't think I can use the original sights with my old eyes so I'll probaby scope it.

Comment

I love this stuff!

I have a friend in Dallas that shoots 22LR with guys out to 500+ yards. I’m going to go up and watch them one of these days.

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun to me

Comment

I have not been shooting much because of other priorities, but managed to shoot a few groups at 300 yards.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	300.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	26754393

I ran out of vertical adjustment on my scope, need to install a taller scope block on the rear. I really did not know what to expect with this rifle.

Name:	300a.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	26754394
                  How about some vertical stringing, LOL. I was shooting in a tail wind.

Comment

The rifle is a H&R M12, US Military trainer. The Scope is a Unertl 20x and it ain't made for low light conditions.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	m12c.jpg Views:	0 Size:	288.5 KB ID:	26754400

Click image for larger version  Name:	300b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	26754401
                    Last edited by Radar; 03-27-2024, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      I have not been shooting much because of other priorities, but managed to shoot a few groups at 300 yards.

Name:	300.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	26754393

I ran out of vertical adjustment on my scope, need to install a taller scope block on the rear. I really did not know what to expect with this rifle.

Name:	300a.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	26754394
                      How about some vertical stringing, LOL. I was shooting in a tail wind.
                      That’s impressive! I’d be very happy with that group.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        You're exactly right. Me neither, however, I came home yesterday with that Savage Anschutz made in '68 that looks almost new. The globe front sight wasn't original, so I just ordered a new one with inserts. I need it like I need another anchor, and I don't even have a boat.
                        Sure looks like fun though.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post

You're exactly right. Me neither, however, I came home yesterday with that Savage Anschutz made in '68 that looks almost new. The globe front sight wasn't original, so I just ordered a new one with inserts. I need it like I need another anchor, and I don't even have a boat.
                          Sure looks like fun though.
                          Your Savage Anschutz will shoot really good, just have to find the right ammo it likes.

Comment

Working...
                          X