Long range rimfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long range rimfire

The past year or so I have been messing around with 22 rimfires at 100 and 200 yards, I have a 300 yard target set up as well but only have one rifle with a 20 moa mount that has enough elevation available. Long range ammo is getting better and I have found that the Lapua Super Long Range is the best and the second best is Lapua Long Range and then SK Super Long Range Match. I have not had a rimfire rifle built, the rifles I am using are Remington 40x US Army training model built in 1965 with a Redfield 3200 24x scope, Johnny Stigall pilar bedded the action and Neil Jones reworked the factory trigger to a crisp 8 ounce. The second rifle is a Winchester 52d that is a US Property training rifle built in 1960, it is unmolested, has a rack number 13 engraved on the receiver and has a Lyman Super Targetspot 20x scope that was built in the early 50's.

The 40x

Click image for larger version  Name:	40x1.jpg Views:	326 Size:	449.7 KB ID:	26732297
    Click image for larger version  Name:	40x3.jpg Views:	300 Size:	388.1 KB ID:	26732298
    Last edited by Radar; 03-07-2024, 07:35 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52d3.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	26732333
    Click image for larger version  Name:	52d.jpg Views:	0 Size:	284.9 KB ID:	26732303

Name:	52d4.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	640.9 KB
ID:	26732334
    The 52d targets at 100 yards
    Click image for larger version  Name:	52d1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	296.2 KB ID:	26732304

200 yard best group
    Click image for larger version  Name:	52d2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	573.3 KB ID:	26732305
    Last edited by Radar; 02-29-2024, 07:45 AM.

Comment

The 40x 100 yard targets with the best groups

Name:	40x4.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	26732310

Name:	40x6.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	26732311

Comment

40x 200 yard best groups

Name:	40x7.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	26732316

Name:	40x8.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	531.2 KB
ID:	26732317

Comment

If you want to have a challenging time shooting rimfires and trying to gauge the conditions it is a lot of fun.

Name:	40x.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	26732322

Comment

pretty sweet setups youve got, cool seeing those scopes from the same era too

Comment

Pretty cool! My high school, Highland Park, had an Army ROTC unit that I was a part of. I was on the competition rifle team and the school had a 50 foot firing range under the swimming pool where we practiced. We used a Remington rifle with open aperture sights that was a military trainer I believe. That was from 1974-1977 and I'm sure the rifle range is probably just a storage facility now.

We had a lot of fun though. We shot matches all over the state and won the state championship a couple of times. I can only remember one match that the targets were set at 100 yards though. Nearly all of our matches were on indoor ranges.

I get the hankering to shoot my rimfires every now and then.

Comment

My son and I started tinkering with longer range .22lr in the last year and having a lot of fun with it. Currently shooting a supresse Christianson Ranger and not seeing groups quite as tight as yours at 100yrd but close. We are consistently shooting out to 320yrds (53moa) hitting a 10" plate with standared velocity CCI's (40gr 1070fps). With the stock rail, it only allowed 38moa with a Vortex 15x PST. Adding a 40moa rail allows more adjustment than we can use (75moa total). It's been a ton of fun to play the wind and distance while improving on our shooting ability.

I'm interested in trying some Lapua Long Range after seeing your results. That 40x is a beauty.

Comment

One day when I grow up I’ll have a 40X!

A buddy asked me if I wanted to sling some lead out of his rig the other day. I went over and was shooting 2”-4” targets out to 180 yards. He had a 10”x10” gong at 232. Hitting that was easy once we figure out the wind adjustment.

I hadn’t done it in a while, but I took out my cheap old Marlin. Was shooting a 4” square at 100 with about 80% hits. Moved out to 200 and was hitting a 8” square about 50%.

Some of the most fun shooting I’ve had in a while.
                  Attached Files

Comment

How well was the Garmin Xero working for yall?

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                      My son and I started tinkering with longer range .22lr in the last year and having a lot of fun with it. Currently shooting a supresse Christianson Ranger and not seeing groups quite as tight as yours at 100yrd but close. We are consistently shooting out to 320yrds (53moa) hitting a 10" plate with standared velocity CCI's (40gr 1070fps). With the stock rail, it only allowed 38moa with a Vortex 15x PST. Adding a 40moa rail allows more adjustment than we can use (75moa total). It's been a ton of fun to play the wind and distance while improving on our shooting ability.

I'm interested in trying some Lapua Long Range after seeing your results. That 40x is a beauty.
                      I can only shoot at the 200 with those old scopes and have to use a target that has a design on it that allows me to center the cross hairs perfectly. The best time to shoot good groups is early in the morning. I had to change the dovetail bases on the rear, they are an 1/8" higher than the front.

Comment

All my 40x shooting was short range...had one like yours I got from CMP & another custom with a tuner that was stupid accurate.

What is the velocity of that long range ammo?? All the best match ammo is sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          All my 40x shooting was short range...had one like yours I got from CMP & another custom with a tuner that was stupid accurate.

What is the velocity of that long range ammo?? All the best match ammo is sub.
                          Around 1100 fps, but the barrels on those rifles are long so it may be adding a few fps more. The bullet design on the Lapua is a little different and the ES is extremely low, it is expensive at 20.00 a box of 50.

Both of those rifles are from the CMP, I have a 52c Winchester that shoots very well too.
                          Last edited by Radar; 02-29-2024, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

Around 1100 fps, but the barrels on those rifles are long so it may be adding a few fps more.
                            That’s doubtful. Long barrels on .22 rimfires actually slow the bullet. Most of the powder is burned around the 16 inch mark. Longer barrels almost always chronograph lower velocity than shorter barrels when it comes to .22 rimfires.

Comment

You need a RimX!

Comment

Working...
                              X