2024 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2024 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Hello gentlemen (and any ladies are welcome as well) it's 2024 so to continue our tradition we're starting the year off with a new thermal and night vision thread. Due to the quickly changing technology, in a year's time the data, information, advice, suggestions and models become dated and many times irrelevant or no longer valid. That doesn't mean that if you already own a thermal or NV scope that it's no longer any good, it just means new models have likely come out and the technology has advanced in different areas and prices have changed. If you're happy with what you have then keep on hammering those hogs and coyotes!

This thread is for pictures and videos of your night hunting kills, rigs and for any questions related to the subject.

Outdoor Legacy has been the exclusive Texas Bowhunter thermal and night vision sponsor and dealer for over 10 years. We pride ourselves on the fact that we test and hunt with every single optic we sell.. And if we don't like an optic, don't believe it's a good value for the dollar or it doesn't meet our standards for some reason, then we just don't sell it. Period. We also have a podcast called The Late Night Vision Show that one of my salesman and I have hosted every Thursday and we're coming up on 300 weekly episodes in a row in a few weeks from now. We offer up scope reviews and all kinds of night hunting talk. You can find the show on Youtube or any podcast app.

If you're looking to purchase a thermal or night vision optic we would absolutely love to have your business and we'll be more than happy to talk to you over the phone and offer advice and suggestions on what optic will work best for you in whatever your price range is. Feel free to call us any time (877)350-1818 or check out our website Outdoor Legacy. If you don't have any clue where to start but you know you want a thermal or night vision scope, give us a call. We're glad to help.

Also, if you purchase your optic from us we are happy to help you with that optic for as long as you own it. Questions on setup or maybe you forgot how a function works or maybe you're having a problem and have questions....we're glad to help our customers with that.

PS: Since we're super busy, phone calls to the number listed are way better than private messages because we don't always see the messages quickly but we have 3 ladies answering the phones and directing the calls to us. Thanks!

(877)350-1818
    Outdoor Legacy
    The Late Night Vision Show

Well--I have a new AR10 coming next week that will wear my XP50. We'll have to see how compatible they are. Report to follow but will be another week based on the weather forecast.

Comment

I purchased my first thermal over the holidays when Cabelas put the Sightmark Wraith Mini 2-16x35 on sale for $500 off. It's an entry level scope but when you've never had better, it's pretty good. It'll predominantly be used on pigs & coyotes and I'm still looking for a break-in target. The pigs vacated our lease the last month of deer season and it was too cold to sit out & call yotes. One thing it has done.....is make me want to buy my first suppressor, but first I'm looking for a 6.5 Grendel complete upper to swap in for the 556 I have now.

Comment

I've had IR for a while, and just purchased a Pulsar Thermal. Curious about targets to use to sight in the thermal?

Comment

Originally posted by TxHamJello View Post
          I've had IR for a while, and just purchased a Pulsar Thermal. Curious about targets to use to sight in the thermal?
          I use a hand warmer taped to a box.

Comment

Originally posted by TxHamJello View Post

Foil/HVAC tape is the easiest thing I've used.

Comment

Just ordered my 1st thermal yesterday. Got the new AGM Rattler ts25-384 v2 from Outdoor Legacy. Will be hunting next weekend with some reports on it soon after.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post

Foil/HVAC tape is the easiest thing I've used.
                Thanks, just watched some video's on this and the hand warmer tricks.

Comment

I just saw Pulsar coming with a 5 year warranty now.

hopefully when I grow up I’ll be able to get a XP50 LRF

Comment

Just ordered a Wraith thermal from you Jason. Plan to take it Axis hunting this weekend as our big boys are nocturnal only. Is it reasonable to expect to ID them around 150-200yds? All shots will be with 200yds for sure. Reviews and videos look amazing for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                      Just ordered my 1st thermal yesterday. Got the new AGM Rattler ts25-384 v2 from Outdoor Legacy. Will be hunting next weekend with some reports on it soon after.
                      Thank you very much, we sure appreciate it! I think you'll be very happy with the V2 Rattler. The battery life is excellent. Thank you again.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by eneat1119 View Post
                        Just ordered a Wraith thermal from you Jason. Plan to take it Axis hunting this weekend as our big boys are nocturnal only. Is it reasonable to expect to ID them around 150-200yds? All shots will be with 200yds for sure. Reviews and videos look amazing for the price.
                        Yes sir the issue with hunting hard horned deer with thermal is their horns don't hold heat so often time you can't see the horns at all on their head unless you're very close. The horns just neutralize to the ambient temperature and don't show up in the thermal. If they are in velvet and you have blood flow then you can definitely see them. And if they are big enough, in the case of a big Axis, there might be enough bone up there to hold some heat and be able to see those horns at the 150-200 yard range. The Wraith Thermal is a great entry level optic for sure and 200 yards and closer is no problem on shooting, ID'ing hogs, coyotes, deer etc but determining if it's the "one" big Axis buck might be a little tough at those longer ranges if he's hard horned.

If you have any questions or need help, just send me a message or give us a call. We really appreciate your business!!

Jason

Comment

Awesome. Yeah the big boys I’m after are still in velvet. Looking forward to receiving the Wraith. Already have the Mini 4K so it should feel very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post

I use a hand warmer taped to a box.
                            Used this method this weekend - BINGO. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                              Well--I have a new AR10 coming next week that will wear my XP50. We'll have to see how compatible they are. Report to follow but will be another week based on the weather forecast.
                              Well, got the thermal mounted and headed to the range to zero. Got it zeroed but then the scope began shutting down with each round fired and I had a hard time getting it to come back on. I got things back in the truck and came home. Have been tinkering with it for 2 days and discovered the reason I couldn’t make it come on again was because I was pressing too long and too hard on the button. A quick, light push does the trick. Now-headed out tonight and hopefully the hogs will cooperate and I will see if it still shuts down at the shot. Hopefully it has self-corrected. Well out of warranty so if it goes back to the mfr, I hope the diagnosis and repair can be done. If not, I’ll be shopping for a replacement with Jason.

Next up is a replacement trigger—

Comment

Working...
                              X