Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do they make that bbl in a carbine gas system??

i would want to cut mine down to 12.5"

Comment

Artos, youd be happier if you bought me the bbl you want and felt the joy in your heart after seeing my smiling face

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

I don't think so. I believe they have 16", 18", and 20", and all are mid length. They have WOA Match Grade, Wilson blanks, for about $100 cheaper but I think they are the same specs.

Comment

If they are chrome lined , I wouldn't cut them ...

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
            nonsense...you can cut and thread chrome lined bbl's just fine. It's the smith doing the work that needs to know and understand this beforehand.

There are companies that do this all day long every day.

Comment

she's officially on order .. 12.5" piston system .. factory SBR! whooohooo!!!

Comment

Comment

she's officially on order .. 12.5" piston system .. factory SBR! whooohooo!!!
                  If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for that setup?

Comment

nonsense...you can cut and thread chrome lined bbl's just fine. It's the smith doing the work that needs to know and understand this beforehand.

There are companies that do this all day long every day.
                    I didn't say it can't be done .. i'm saying I wouldn't do it ... you run the risk of having flaking and accuracy will go to craap!

now there are people out there who don't care , they either don't shoot long range with their SBR , or can't manage sub moa groups to begin with ...

why risk it .. just buy another dang barrel! you have to take it off anyways to do a proper job .. then to pay to have it cut and re-threaded , you're half way into a new barrel already done and with a warranty ...

there are plenty of stories of people regretting butchering a perfect good rifle that shot great and now they don't .. can't glue it back on!! just saying !!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                      nice pics .. totally useless however , where is the gas port ? how you gonna put a gas block on that ? 5" 223 ? what the heck for ? threaded ? again what the heck for ? can't run it suppressed .. NO silencer manufacturer warranty their can under 10" .. too hard on first baffle ... ! 223 blows that short anyways .. it may even be too short to stabilize ... again .. bad idea just gone to worse idea!

and No they are not pistol barrels either .. based on the locking lugs ..

Comment

nonsense...it can be done without any issues. I have personally done three builds because I wanted to save the smaller gas port that comes on 16" carbines to keep from being overgassed like factory SBR barrels. I like dedicated suppressed AR rifles.

if some ding-dong smith does not control his speed and cut, there is a chance of flaking but he probably cannot thread on center either.

The folks who KNOW battle bbls understand this. Not all garage butcher shops with a lathe can cut and thread but this flaking issue is nothing to worry about if you use a reputable smith.

Sometimes cutting and threading is the only option.

Comment

nonsense...it can be done without any issues. I have personally done three builds because I wanted to save the smaller gas port that comes on 16" carbines to keep from being overgassed like factory SBR barrels. I like dedicated suppressed AR rifles.

if some ding-dong smith does not control his speed and cut, there is a chance of flaking but he probably cannot thread on center either.

The folks who KNOW battle bbls understand this. Not all garage butcher shops with a lathe can cut and thread but this flaking issue is nothing to worry about if you use a reputable smith.

Sometimes cutting and threading is the only option.
                          yeah well ,maybe you're not the regular run of the mill guy.. and maybe you use people like tornadotech and wait 3 months for a cut thread job and pay $160 + for it .. but the forums are FULL of people who tried just that and ended up with unreliable , inaccurate firearms ... then they magically go for sale ... everybody always has a good story .. but reality is often different ..

Comment

nice pics .. totally useless however , where is the gas port ? how you gonna put a gas block on that ? 5" 223 ? what the heck for ? threaded ? again what the heck for ? can't run it suppressed .. NO silencer manufacturer warranty their can under 10" .. too hard on first baffle ... ! 223 blows that short anyways .. it may even be too short to stabilize ... again .. bad idea just gone to worse idea!

and No they are not pistol barrels either .. based on the locking lugs ..
                            okay but heres the guy who does it

Comment

No, i pay less than that by a retired gunsmith.

I looked into this before i started my projects...the consensus with the problem with flaking is really due to poor plating even more than improper cutting (which can still be a rare problem).

You would think a bullet traveling down a bbl would harder on plating than cutting it with a carbide bit.

Comment

No, i pay less than that by a retired gunsmith.

I looked into this before i started my projects...the consensus with the problem with flaking is really due to poor plating even more than improper cutting (which can still be a rare problem).

You would think a bullet traveling down a bbl would harder on plating than cutting it with a carbide bit.
                                bullets run parallell with the grain of the chrome, and cutting it runs perp, so i can see the flaking issue with cutting IF it was improperly plated to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                                X