Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
    Paul, fully loaded with 5 rounds of ammo in the stock pack, comes in at 9.2 pounds!!! makes my m40 feel like a boat anchor! I built it more as a hunting rig with the heart of a tacticool M24.
    That's a sweet rig Bro!

I'm confused on the barrel though. Is the barrel actually carbon fiber with a liner or is it a Shilen barrel wrapped in CF?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      That's a sweet rig Bro!

I'm confused on the barrel though. Is the barrel actually carbon fiber with a liner or is it a Shilen barrel wrapped in CF?
      They will turn down your 700bbl too mike & skeletonize the action....the bbl is basically floating inside the carbon rod & centered with the threaded action and the muzzle break. Some say the Carbon Fiber helps stretch or stabilize the skinnier bbl as it's tightened down with the break.

The idea is for the cold bore shot to be consistant and 3 shot groups are the norm.

Some will test the gun by shooting a cold bore 3 different days as it is a walk in the mountains all day and shoot across the canyon application.

Interesting rigs

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        They will turn down your 700bbl too mike & skeletonize the action....the bbl is basically floating inside the carbon rod & centered with the threaded action and the muzzle break. Some say the Carbon Fiber helps stretch or stabilize the skinnier bbl as it's tightened down with the break.

The idea is for the cold bore shot to be consistant and 3 shot groups are the norm.

Some will test the gun by shooting a cold bore 3 different days as it is a walk in the mountains all day and shoot across the canyon application.

Interesting rigs
        Well said Paul. That's exactly what it's for. I love this thing. Wish I would have done my m40 that way. May still wrap it.

Comment

Can we get a debate on 7.62x39 AK and 300 Blackout and to which is better? Simple check yes or no? What do y'all think?

I'll start. It will be AK platform versus AR on the BO. This is highly subjective, and I'm trying to talk myself out of an AK. I really miss my AK, and I really like the round. I really wish someone made a good AR system, or a really accurate custom style AK. If someone does, let me know!

Weapons Platform Overall Choice-BO

NATO Round-AK

Ammunition Availability-AK

Ammo price-AK

Ammo types-Tie

Precision rifle-BO

Precision Ammo-Tie maybe slight edge to BO

Price-AK on a stamped

Durability-Tie

Length of service-AK

Maintenance-AK

Weapon Range-BO

Abundance of parts-AK

Suppresor Platform-BO

Anything else?

So, where does that rank them? I have no idea, AK wins on cheap and availability of parts, but the BO wins on precision and suppressor options. So many decisions!

Thoughts?

Bill Wilson (Wilson Combat) made a great post on this very comparison. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it, but it was the 7.62x40WT VS 7.62x39, he had the .300 Blackout cartridge in there for comparison.
          Last edited by SATX; 04-13-2011, 11:18 AM.

Comment

New toy I traded for 2 weeeks ago.

HK416D tactical .22lr

Man is this fun!!!

With fake can. (Going to try an order an RPG 22 suppressor for it this month)

Comment

Originally posted by SATX View Post
              New toy I traded for 2 weeeks ago.

HK416D tactical .22lr

Man is this fun!!!

With fake can. (Going to try an order an RPG 22 suppressor for it this month)

Is it composite like the S&W dedicated 22LR?

Comment

All metal, dedicated .22lr rifle. It's not compatible with a regular AR lower like a .22 conversion kit would be. Licnesed by HK, but made by Carl Walther in Germany.

This thing is tighter than some Bushmaster AR's I used to have.

Comment

Originally posted by SATX View Post
                  All metal, dedicated .22lr rifle. It's not compatible with a regular AR lower like a .22 conversion kit would be. Licnesed by HK, but made by Carl Walther in Germany.

This thing is tighter than some Bushmaster AR's I used to have.
                  You should post a review thread about this

Comment

Originally posted by asttbe View Post
                    You should post a review thread about this
                    Nope. Not again. Ever. Got to many PM's about it being an informercial even after stating I am not affiliated with HK, Walther or Umarex.

God forbid someone should really take a liking to something they've purchased, then actually write about it without using OMG, LOL, ROTFLMAO, .......

Comment

Can we get a debate on 7.62x39 AK and 300 Blackout and to which is better? Simple check yes or no? What do y'all think?

I'll start. It will be AK platform versus AR on the BO. This is highly subjective, and I'm trying to talk myself out of an AK. I really miss my AK, and I really like the round. I really wish someone made a good AR system, or a really accurate custom style AK. If someone does, let me know!

Weapons Platform Overall Choice-BO

NATO Round-AK

Ammunition Availability-AK

Ammo price-AK

Ammo types-Tie

Precision rifle-BO

Precision Ammo-Tie maybe slight edge to BO

Price-AK on a stamped

Durability-Tie

Length of service-AK

Maintenance-AK

Weapon Range-BO

Abundance of parts-AK

Suppresor Platform-BO

Anything else?

So, where does that rank them? I have no idea, AK wins on cheap and availability of parts, but the BO wins on precision and suppressor options. So many decisions!

Thoughts?

I'm gonna pass as the blackout or even the 6.8 is better for me...i prefer to reload and don't like to goofy bore of the 7.62x39.

I'm gonna stick with the ar-15 platform and have 12.5" 6.8 & 10.5" BO with a 30cal titanium can once I hit the lotterey.

The flexibility of changing the upper in that 15 package has me sold. Not saying I would not like to own a top shelf AK, but certainly not going that route until the short list is complete.

man this game is just expensive.

Comment

Couple of questions...

I can't search the web for answers because I'm at work and they've got the web locked down and of course I'm very busy doing my job!

I'm looking at doing some "rearranging" and wondered who is a good source of M16 uppers?

'nother question - are the piston uppers rated for f/a?

Comment

My BILs 6.8 we built

Click image for larger version

Name:	gun1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	23986258

Name:	gun2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	23986259

Name:	gun3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	23986260

Spikes Zombie Lower, DPMS LPK with RR 2 stage trigger, Ergo Supergrip, Spikes Billet Trigger guard, Magpull BADD Lever, Vltor Emod Stock, AERO Precision upper with AR15precision 16" mid length 6.8 hunter barrel, Stag Bolt, RRA Chrome BCG. Wilson Combat Flash Hider, Troy TRX Extreme Rail, BCM Gunfighter Mod3, and right now Magpul MBUS sights

Comment

Originally posted by HandiKap Bowhunter View Post
                            [ATTACH]232750[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]232751[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]232752[/ATTACH]

Spikes Zombie Lower, DPMS LPK with RR 2 stage trigger, Ergo Supergrip, Spikes Billet Trigger guard, Magpull BADD Lever, Vltor Emod Stock, AERO Precision upper with AR15precision 16" mid length 6.8 hunter barrel, Stag Bolt, RRA Chrome BCG. Wilson Combat Flash Hider, Troy TRX Extreme Rail, BCM Gunfighter Mod3, and right now Magpul MBUS sights
                            Sweet ride!

Comment

Thanks Travis. Im building one simular to it for my Daughter to have to hunt pigs with daddy Hers is gonna be built off a Purple Sundevil Billet upper and lower though.

Comment

Picked up my new baby yesterday......

BCM mid length carbine, only got the magpul mbus on it now. Will be upgrading with more bells and whistles later on.
                                I'm going to add:
                                ERGO grip
                                Magpul CTR stock
                                Main sight(aimpoint compC3 or Vortex strikefire, might try the vortex first and if I no likey, upgrade to aimpoint)
                                Has MOE handguard, was planning on swapping with Troy Battle rail or DD omega, but I kinda like the MOE. So I'll keep it for now.
                                Light- Ive been reading about Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR250 "Kill Light", sounds like a good one. Anybody used one?

Comment

Working...
                                X