No announcement yet.

Brisket experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temps dont make sense but who knows what 36 hours will do. Of course then the question becomes who wants to run a 42 plus hour cook? In for results.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
      any advice?

Sorry, just saw this. If anything I’d return it to a 275 degree smoker until probe tender. Just don’t think you’ll get tender your way. Fat won’t render.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Brisket experiment

I may bump the temp up a little

I’d bump it to 275. The absolute bare minimum I ever smoke anything is 250.
        I will say there is nothing wrong at all with trying different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
          Sorry, just saw this. If anything I’d return it to a 275 degree smoker until probe tender. Just don’t think you’ll get tender your way. Fat won’t render.

Yup hot water bath doesn’t make brisket tender

Comment

Boiling a smoked brisket in a bag sounds like a failure in the making, but I am now honestly curious as to the outcome. I know I wouldn’t have attempted it.

Comment

Brisket turned out great. Very tender

Comment

Brisket turned out great. Very tender
                This is all we get?? Any pictures lol?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_poster-rafce5a91cfbe4e509401c9434d861ab7_tvw_8byvr_540.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	26507759.

Comment

Having issues with pics now that the new version of the site is up…..

Comment

OK, more detail now that I am in front of my computer. I had the brisket in the Sous Vide for a total of 42 hours. Started out at 140 degrees and bumped it to 150 degrees for the last 24 hours or so. Took it out and the bark was still pretty good. Cut a small piece off and smoke ring was good and it was very tender and juicy.

I sliced the flat into slices and cubed the point for burnt ends. Ends got put into a foil pan with the drippings I saved from the sous vide bag. Added some BBQ sauce and back on the smoker for about an hour. Burnt ends were spectacular.

My scoring:
                      Bark 7
                      Smoke ring 8
                      Flavor 8
                      Tenderness 10

The only thing I did not care for was the color of the meat on the inside. It had a pale white color as opposed to a more tan/brown color from a regular smoke. Did not affect the flavor at all.
                      Last edited by 220swift; 06-14-2023, 10:33 AM.

Comment

appreciate the experiment - got 2 briskets on - expect at the 18 hour mark they will be ready to rest a few hours. These were not prime or wagyu - just the Costco quality (not good- but that is one of the things I like about brisket - making something good out of something not great). Hope your experiment works out - I'll stick to my method.

Comment

Working...
                        X