Brisket experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket experiment

I am trying an experiment with a 17lb prime brisket.

I seasoned it and smoked it in my pellet grill for 6 hours at 225 degrees.

Removed it and vacuum sealed it and now it is getting a water bath (sous vide)
    140 degrees for +/- 36 hours.

We will see.......

Here are pics after the smoke/before vacuum sealing
    Attached Files

Predicted outcome: it won't be done. But I'm in for results. Or did you mean you're doing that and returning to the smoker to finish?

Comment

What was internal temp when you pulled it?

Comment

In for the results.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
          What was internal temp when you pulled it?
          180ish

Comment

Nice. In for result

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
              Predicted outcome: it won't be done. But I'm in for results. Or did you mean you're doing that and returning to the smoker to finish?
              any advice?

Comment

How'd you pick 36 hours?

Comment

I don't see how it's going to get done either. I'm no brisket expert but everything I've ready says somewhere around 200. How do you heat meat to that temp when it's inside a 140 degree water bath.

Comment

Graysonhog can comment more on the internal temp, but I would agree, I don't know that 140 sous vide can complete your cook. Also, in my limited sous vide experience, I would think that 36 hours is going to change the texture of the meat in a negative way.

Worst case scenario, it makes for a good chopped brisket sandwich.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Comment

Rendering starts at temps around 140F it just takes a really long time at this lower temp. OP did say the brisket was at 180F when pulled so process has started. I would worry about time in sous vide since you can render all out of meat making for poor eating.

Comment

Sounds like a fun experiment! I also have my doubts, but keep us posted! Wonder what it is going to do to the bark? I'm guessing it'll be lost, but I've been wrong before!

Comment

I may bump the temp up a little

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
                            Sounds like a fun experiment! I also have my doubts, but keep us posted! Wonder what it is going to do to the bark? I'm guessing it'll be lost, but I've been wrong before!
                            on line videos show that the bark is retained.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                              Rendering starts at temps around 140F it just takes a really long time at this lower temp. OP did say the brisket was at 180F when pulled so process has started. I would worry about time in sous vide since you can render all out of meat making for poor eating.
                              I saw a video where a guy rested in sous vide after a full smoke for 62 hours

Comment

Working...
                              X