No announcement yet.

Cured smoked backstrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to give this a try. I seasoned up 1 deer strap, 1 hog strap, and 4 deer tenders earlier today..
    Plan to smoke them on Sunday.

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
        What part does the cure play in that process since you bring temp up after the cold smoke?
        The cure gives it a longer shelf life. It tastes very similar to opas jerky out of Fredericksburg if you have ever had it. They cure then cook theirs and it stays out on the counter in clear boxes at convenience stores for weeks. I had several German friends growing up that did it this way as well.

Comment

Just be sure and wash off the cure real good. Otherwise it’ll be salty as crap. I wash, then wash again. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine are done and turned out pretty dang good! I messed up and didn't have any honey so I used Molasses. I'll definately do it again but probably tweak it a little.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Cant wait to try this!!

Comment

That looks great. I have a few backstraps I can try this with.

Has anyone tried it with Hog Backstraps?

Comment

I just put a strap in a bag. Anxiously waiting until i can pull it off and smoke it

Comment

This looks awesome.

Comment

I gave this a shot last week when I knew we were going to be iced in for a few days. I used backstraps and tenderloins. Came out great! I'd definitely soak in a little water for an hour or so before to drop some of the saltiness down a bit. My guys at the shop tore it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                          I gave this a shot last week when I knew we were going to be iced in for a few days. I used backstraps and tenderloins. Came out great! I'd definitely soak in a little water for an hour or so before to drop some of the saltiness down a bit. My guys at the shop tore it up!

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tasty for sure

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                              That looks great. I have a few backstraps I can try this with.

Has anyone tried it with Hog Backstraps?
                              I tried it with hog and it was really good. About the same taste and texture but a little lighter in color.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                                I tried it with hog and it was really good. About the same taste and texture but a little lighter in color.

Comment

Working...
                                X