Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Boudin blanc or white sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boudin blanc or white sausage

My wife has been buying chicken sausage at the store saying it's healthier than what I make at home. So I decided I would make a healthy-ish sausage. I raise rabbits so I decided to use a 50/50 mix of rabbit and chicken. Since both contain no fat I used chicken skin, heavy cream and bread crumb as a binder. Spiced with clove, nutmeg, allspice, bay leaf, BP and salt. They turned out great and the wife loves them.

RECIPE:

-2.5lbs rabbit
    -2.5lbs chicken( use skin on)
    -chicken skin ( maybe 1/4 pound)
    -2.5% salt
    -20 allspice berries (next time I'll use less)
    -1/2 tsp nutmeg
    -4 whole cloves
    -20 bay leaves
    -3.5 tbsp black pepper
    -1 1/4 cup heavy cream
    -1 cup bread crumbs (I used saltine crackers)

Cube up meat and add spices. Refrigerate over night. Grind once through 4.5mm. After grinding put the meat back in the fridge. Combine heavy cream and bread crumbs and let sit for 10min. Then mix the meat with cream/bread crumb mixture until sticky. Stuff into casing and link.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
    My wife has been buying chicken sausage at the store saying it's healthier than what I make at home. So I decided I would make a healthy-ish sausage. I raise rabbits so I decided to use a 50/50 mix of rabbit and chicken. Since both contain no fat I used chicken skin, heavy cream and bread crumb as a binder. Spiced with clove, nutmeg, allspice, bay leaf, BP and salt. They turned out great and the wife loves them.

RECIPE:

-2.5lbs rabbit
    -2.5lbs chicken( use skin on)
    -chicken skin ( maybe 1/4 pound)
    -2.5% salt
    -20 allspice berries (next time I'll use less)
    -1/2 tsp nutmeg
    -4 whole cloves
    -20 bay leaves
    -3.5 tbsp black pepper
    -1 1/4 cup heavy cream
    -1 cup bread crumbs (I used saltine crackers)

Cube up meat and add spices. Refrigerate over night. Grind once through 4.5mm. After grinding put the meat back in the fridge. Combine heavy cream and bread crumbs and let sit for 10min. Then mix the meat with cream/bread crumb mixture until sticky. Stuff into casing and link.

Very nice! I can’t wait to try them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds good

Comment

Sounds awesome, I bet it's fantastic!

Comment

That looks great. I never thought about the bread crumbs and chicken skin. Definitely a healthier option. I purchased some chicken sausage at Granzin’s market a few years ago and was really surprised how well the family liked it. So I pick some up from time to time and your post have made want to try to make my own. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by blfx4 View Post
            That looks great. I never thought about the bread crumbs and chicken skin. Definitely a healthier option. I purchased some chicken sausage at Granzin’s market a few years ago and was really surprised how well the family liked it. So I pick some up from time to time and your post have made want to try to make my own. Thanks again.
            Thanks! The bread crumbs and cream is a French thing used for making white sausages.The only thing I would do different next time is cut the allspice in half.

Comment

20 bay leaves?

Comment

Excellent. Thanks!

Comment

That really sounds interesting. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                    20 bay leaves?
                    It seems like a lot but the bay leave is muted with how much allspice was used. I would cut the allspice in half next time. I didn't put this in the directions but I use a small coffee grinder to grind my spices.

Comment

Thank you sir.

Comment

Working...
                      X