Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

ground venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we always use 50% beef with 50% venison. I tried a small batch of Pork with venison for some burgers and it came out pretty good.

I have a motorized meat grinder. After about 10 years of hand cranking, it was time for a change.

Comment

When I used to grind for burgers I added beef fat to make it hold together. Worked great.

Comment

Deer/Bacon burger is great. Use the Bacon Ends & Pieces. I tried 70/30 and it turned out great.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
          I got a question. My wife says she can taste the gamey taste when i grind deer hamburger. I use beef talon and straight deer. I mix it at 80% deer 20% talon. Could someone tell me how to get raid of the gamey taste so she will eat it? It doesnt bug me but it does her. Thanks.
          Sit that deer on ice about 4 or 5 days and drain the water, add ice.
          When you tirm it out get rid of any fat on the deer.A lot of gamey taste comes from the fat.

Comment

The deer & bacon on the grill rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Goat1 View Post
              Sit that deer on ice about 4 or 5 days and drain the water, add ice.
              When you tirm it out get rid of any fat on the deer.A lot of gamey taste comes from the fat.
              Yep just what he said.

Comment

sounds like something that I will have to try.

Comment

Been mixing brisket and venison for my ground for years. I go 2/3 venison and 1/3 lean brisket. Once weighed, I add 8% fat that was trimmed from the brisket.

For those wanting to cut down on the gamey taste, let your cubed venison sit in a cold cold cooler for a day or two with towels in the bottom. That will soak up a ton of blood, which is where the gamey comes from.

Comment

sounds great yall! gonna try it tonight!

Comment

x4 or the grind (deer brisket 50/50 vs 60/40), both are ok, you just have to look at the meat coming out to see the fat content. We like our's lean so no more than 60 deer/ 40 beef. Depends a lot on the briskets too, so look at the grinded meat coming out.

Grinder is a 1 hp through a gearbox and number 32 shoot. Don't get a knife blade down in it, Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by major_74 View Post
                        we had some Nilgai and brisket ground it up and it was some of the best burgers I have had. we did 50/50.
                        I had some Nilgai once from the king ranch. It does make good burgers and steaks.

Comment

50/50

Comment

Working...
                          X