Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

ground venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centexhunter01 View Post
    You guys ever try pork sausage with ground venison. They make real good burgers. 50/50 - 1lb to 1lb.
    Makes a great meatloaf also!

Comment

We use 70% deer meat;25% Beef Plates and 5% Kidney Fat. You can usually find pretty easy at the butcher shop. I like the Kidney Fat because it has a better flavor.

Comment

70% venison, 15% trimmed brisket (always from the head of the brisket) 15% pork sausage (blue and gold). I grind the venison twice and the brisket twice then I use a wooden spoon and my hand to blend everything together then I grind it a third time. It holds a good shape and has just enough fat to remain juicy but not become a grease ball.

Comment

Great idea....I have about 30 lbs of venison that needs some attention. Brisket sounds like a helluva addition for our normal hamburger uses.

On the venison bacon burgers, I grind an 80% ven / 20% bac using the ends and pieces you can buy in a bulk box at Wal-Mart....that stuff is some kind of good on the grill and a deer lease camp favorite!!

For teh preson asking about the grinders, it is hard to beat the Northern Tool grinder for the money and power......

and it looks like it is on sale again......

Comment

i'd have to second the 50/50 with brisket. i had some done this year and it ended up being around $1 a pound. it's nice not having to buy ground at the store...plus it's cheaper! i think that it taste better...we make everything with it.

Comment

i use beef tallow from the heb meat matket myself

Comment

Originally posted by major_74 View Post
                we had some Nilgai and brisket ground it up and it was some of the best burgers I have had. we did 50/50.
                Man I beat that was good eats!

Comment

i go about 60# deer and 40# brisket.

Comment

I got a question. My wife says she can taste the gamey taste when i grind deer hamburger. I use beef talon and straight deer. I mix it at 80% deer 20% talon. Could someone tell me how to get raid of the gamey taste so she will eat it? It doesnt bug me but it does her. Thanks.

Comment

I use 90% deer to 10% beef fat from the butcher. Been doing it for years and we make everything from hamburgers, spagetti, meatloaf, to hamburger helper with it.

I have got to try the brisket thing though.

Comment

Abbott,
                        I make sure to separate the muscles on the hams. There are a couple of internal glands stuck in the fat that are gray in color. If you cut those the gamey taste comes out pretty bad. Mixing more beef fat also helps.

Comment

x2 bacon/deer, some good stuff

Comment

may have to try the bacon ends or something. Will have to try the brisket also. Thanks.

Comment

I buy untrimed brisket and then I mix 60% venison and 40% beef makes awesome burgers and every thing in between, Do the same thing with a pork but with my own seasoning and same ratio to make venison pan sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                                I got a question. My wife says she can taste the gamey taste when i grind deer hamburger. I use beef talon and straight deer. I mix it at 80% deer 20% talon. Could someone tell me how to get raid of the gamey taste so she will eat it? It doesnt bug me but it does her. Thanks.
                                Just don't shoot the gamey tasting deer.
                                I've never tasted a gamey deer before.

Comment

Working...
                                X