Whole cooked pig question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole cooked pig question

I am going hog hunting tomorrow night and if I get one I am wanting to cook it on sunday... Most of the posts on how to cook it are showing to let it sit in ice for a week... If I don't wait that long and cook it a day and a half later what am I in for? Lol will my pig still b good?
    This will b my first time trying this by the way

It'll still be good. The key is just to cook it slow. I'm trying a brine with the cooler trick for the first time and just put it on the pig.

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried an injection before smoking it?

A friend if mine says he fills up the cavity with 3 sticks of butter, garlic, and onions and covers the whole thing with a bunch of foil and cooks it for 8-10 hours at 200-250. I haven't tried it but it sounds like it would be good.

Comment

Also, obviously it'll taste better if its a sow, under 100 lbs, and is healthy (has been eating well).

Comment

It'll be fine. What putting them on ice for a week does is age the meat some. It helps with flavor and tenderness. The melting ice also washes and rinses the meat.
        All meat is better when aged but I wouldn't have a problem cooking a pig the day I killed it.

Comment

Keep in mind that you don't age pork like you do deer, beef, elk, etc. Pork will turn rancid fast. I had a guy hang one in my walk in with a bunch of deer we already had hanging. Within a couple of days, you didn't want to go in. Took the pig out and all was fine. Difference in enzymes, I guess. I've cooked a boat load of wild pork and never aged it. It's great as it is. If it's not good, it's the result of the pigs diet, not a lack of aging. I'm sure brinig does one good because that slows down enzyme growth. As long as you don't dry it out, I'll bet you have a great meal!!

Comment

Awesome! Good to know guys. Heading out in a couple hrs and super excited!

Comment

cooking one sunday for the game the whole things probably 45 lbs

Comment

Used to take day hunters for hogs on our deer lease and one guy was from Kalifornia (couldn't hit the side of a barn either). He wasn't going to take meat back with him so we cooked ribs the 2nd night after he shot it. They were not smoked, but just rubbed and cooked over mesquite coals for about :45. Delicious.

Comment

Working...
                X