No announcement yet.

Jack Rabbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm from South La. and have never heard of any Cajuns eating it, so I figured if it's eatable, someone would've posted a recipe before.

Comment

Two ways:
      1) Cook the rabbit in a pressure cooker...
      A) Add fat (Lard) to the cooker and brown the rabbit in the fat until the meat is seared and brown but not cooked all the way through, if you over cook it isn't going to hurt anything.
      B) Drain off fat, put rabbit in bowl or Aluminum foil bowl, add water cook to book times. You want the meat to easily pull off of the bone.
      C) Pull all meat from bone.
      D) Cook potatoes, onions, peppers, bacon and spices in a large skillet until the potatoes are tender, add rabbit and spices.
      E) Make gravy
      F) Eat it all

2) Pan fry rabbit (no batter), easiest to do in quarters
      A) Quarter and pan fry rabbit in a large skillet with your favorite spices
      B) Set rabbit aside and cook potatoes, onions, peppers, bacon (if you want it) and spices until potatoes are tender
      C) Add rabbit back to mix cook until all is hot again
      D) Make gravy
      E) Eat it all

These are the same recipes, one is with the bone in and one is pulled. If you like red eye gravy, this is a great recipe for it.

Comment

Rabbit and Rice:
        Use a pressure cooker for this as well:
        Add the rabbit and the required amount of 'cooking' water to the pressure cooker PLUS the amount of water you need to make the rice with an additional 1/2 cup.

You will be making the broth to cook the rice with as well, that is why the extra water.

Cook the rabbit according to book times.
        Drain away all water/broth and use this to make the rice.
        Pull all the meat from the bone of the rabbit add to the rice once it is done.
        Spice according to taste.
        Make Brown gravy.
        Eat it all.

I like this recipe because you get all the goodness of the bones (fat, marrow etc) but with out eating soup, I'm not a big soup eater.

You don't need a pressure cooker, instead you will hafta boil the rabbit for some time to get it cooked.

Comment

We shot one last year when we were camping in the back of our ranch, but we threw it into some stew along with some fresh pork and potatos and other stuff, and it was great!

Comment

Originally posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
            Nope. Always told they aint no good... who knows..

Me too.

Comment

Working...
            X