Calzones...help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calzones...help?

Nanas BBQ Biscuicups has been one of my favorite snake recipes for reheating. The other night, I wanted some but had no crescent dough, so I decided to make BBQ beef calzones instead. The filling is great, and I've been on a kick, making all kinds of calzones. My dough is no longer dry and tastes great with the herbs I put in.

My only problem is sealing the pocket...I'm horrible at it. The dough won't stick to itself that well when I try to seal them. If I leave it stickier, I can't roll it out or work with it. Any tips?

These calzones are great for bringing to work for lunch. Probably would be good in the deer stand too!

My dough recipe is a few cups of flour, 2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tbsp dry yeast, 1 cup warm water, 2 tbsp olive oil, and then add in oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil, fresh garlic, and onion powder. Get it to a consistency I can work with, roll it into circles, and fill it with whatever. 415 in the oven for about 16 min.

Comment

Wetting the mating surfaces with a little water then sealing them up with a little flat fork press around the edge should work, no?

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
        Wetting the mating surfaces with a little water then sealing them up with a little flat fork press around the edge should work, no?
        +1 or a brush of egg wash should do the trick.

Comment

Cool. I'll try that. I'm a cook, not a baker

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
            This should do it.^^^^ How bout sharing some calzone recipes? Never made them, but want to try.

Comment

My wife, 100% Italian, makes calzones that'll knock your socks off and she uses an egg wash and mashes the seams together with her fingers. I haven't inhaled one yet that came apart. Good luck.

Comment

C9H13NO3, after getting my curiosity going, I made up a batch of dough today and when my Wife and Daughter got home we made a pizza and two stromboli's (made too much dough and didn't want it to go to waste) Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351305487.653270.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	24133675
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351305497.725608.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	24133676

It was good, I ate too much of course and got a belly ache

Forgot pics of the pizza till after it had been accosted already Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351305559.170513.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	24133677

Yum!

Thanks C9H13NO3

Comment

I need to try stromboli. Never had it. Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
                    I need to try stromboli. Never had it. Looks great!
                    it's basically the same thing as what you were making...just probably larger and different contents...

personally I don't like to add sauce, I like to over stuff it with cheese and meat...put the cheese on first that way it melts down through the meat or alternate cheese/meat stacking inside....and put more than you think you should...

and if you like sauce, just use marinara after the fact....

typically, onions, bell peppers, italian sausage, pepperoni, salami, provolone, mozzarella, mushrooms.....

Comment

Everything from scratch! Only the sliced olives were canned. Pappa Ryan!

Comment

yum!

what's with the hook?

Comment

That's my kitchenaid dough hook. Lets me knead doughs without my hands. I do my soupy dough mixture on high for a few minutes, then turn it on slow as I add the rest of the flour. Really gets the yeast working, and saves a lot of work/time.

Comment

Originally posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
                            That's my kitchenaid dough hook. Lets me knead doughs without my hands. I do my soupy dough mixture on high for a few minutes, then turn it on slow as I add the rest of the flour. Really gets the yeast working, and saves a lot of work/time.
                            ah...duh....didn't recognize it with the big plate top....used to the die cast aluminum type.

Comment

I went with a half white, half wheat crust. One of the best pizzas I've ever had

Comment

Working...
                              X