Needing An idea for pork butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing An idea for pork butt

Found a seven month old pork butt deep in the freezer and it’s Finally thawed. It’s a bone in, about 10.25#. Plan to cook it tomorrow.
    don’t feel like babysitting at stickburner in the sub freezing wind. Don’t mind putting some smoke on it initially but want to finish it off in the oven in a big Dutch oven. That way I ain’t freezing my nads off outside smoking it and having the oven on for an afternoon will warm up the house some.

open to any suggestions or recommendations..all I’ve ever done is smoke them and finish them off in oven and shred/pull apart, then make pulled pork Sammie’s or stuffed potatoes.

Cuban Mojo Marinated Pork Roast

Ingredients

1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
    3/4 cup fresh aqueezed lime juice
    2 tablespoon orange zest
    2 tablespoon lime zest
    1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
    1 tablespoon cumin (heaping)
    10 garlic cloves
    1 tablespoon kosher salt and black pepper
    Pork butt with bone or boneless

Instructions
    1. In a blender add all the ingredients except the zest, and pulse until everything is finely chopped.
    2. After blending, add the zest.
    3. Take the pork shoulder and make about a dozen deep punctures, and place in a ziplock bag.
    4. Add the marinade and seal. Rub it around and work the marinade into the crevices and punctures.
    5. Place the zipped up bag in a baking dish, and put it in the fridge overnight, or several hours at least.
    6. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425?F. Take roast out of fridge and let warm to room temperature.
    7. Take pork out of marinade and discard marinade.
    8. Place a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet, set the pork on the rack.
    9. Cook the pork for 1 hour at 425 uncovered
    10. Cover loosely with foil, reduce temp to 350 and cook 3-4 hours until desired temp. 180 for slicing, 205 to pull.
    12. When done let rest at least 20 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
      Cuban Mojo Marinated Pork Roast

Ingredients

1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
      1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
      3/4 cup fresh aqueezed lime juice
      2 tablespoon orange zest
      2 tablespoon lime zest
      1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
      1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
      1 tablespoon cumin (heaping)
      10 garlic cloves
      1 tablespoon kosher salt and black pepper
      Pork butt with bone or boneless

Instructions
      1. In a blender add all the ingredients except the zest, and pulse until everything is finely chopped.
      2. After blending, add the zest.
      3. Take the pork shoulder and make about a dozen deep punctures, and place in a ziplock bag.
      4. Add the marinade and seal. Rub it around and work the marinade into the crevices and punctures.
      5. Place the zipped up bag in a baking dish, and put it in the fridge overnight, or several hours at least.
      6. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425?F. Take roast out of fridge and let warm to room temperature.
      7. Take pork out of marinade and discard marinade.
      8. Place a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet, set the pork on the rack.
      9. Cook the pork for 1 hour at 425 uncovered
      10. Cover loosely with foil, reduce temp to 350 and cook 3-4 hours until desired temp. 180 for slicing, 205 to pull.
      12. When done let rest at least 20 minutes

Sounds like a winner to me. Getting this marinade going now. Thanks!

Comment

Cut it into strips 1.5 inches x 1.5 inches. Flour and brown on all sides in skillet. Put in a deep pan with 3 cups of brown gravy. Season with salt ,pepper, and garlic salt. Preheat oven to 350. Cover with foil and cook 2hrs. Take out and rest for 30 minutes before removing foil.

You will be amazed

Comment

Make pozole.

or….

Cut into 4-5 chunks, use any rub of your choice (even just spg), sear, put into pressure cooker for 80 minutes and allow natural release, remove from the pot and shred plus mix in any bbq sauce you want (plus anything else). It makes very good bbq pork sandwiches. The pork will flake apart with a plastic spoon. I usually use about half a cup of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire, a small bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s and some of the drippings until I get the consistency that I want. The rest of the drippings/jiice I save for gravy later.

Is it the same as a 12 hour smoked pulled pork sandwich? Not on your life but I did that at work many times and an 8 pound shoulder would be gone in a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post

Sounds like a winner to me. Getting this marinade going now. Thanks!
            Its good have done both sliced and pulled.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.

dbaio, I’ll be putting your recipe in the oven this afternoon. The marinade sure smelled good.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post
                Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.

dbaio, I’ll be putting your recipe in the oven this afternoon. The marinade sure smelled good.
                Good deal, hope it turns out good for ya'll.
                I left out that once I pulled out of marinade I added a light coat of coarse kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

Comment

Working...
                X