Venison Shanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison Shanks

Just about everyone I know bones the shanks and puts them into grind. Around my house we don't. Instead try this and you won't grind them any more.

In a large pot, I use a cast iron roaster with lid, heat up some oil, about a tablespoon. While it is heating, season the shanks with whatever seasoning you like, I use Tex Joy Steak Seasoning. Once the oil is hot, lay the shanks in the hot oil to sear all sides. Once all sides are good and seared, add a whole sliced and quartered onion (yellow or white) and then add i box of beef broth. Turn the heat off, put the lid on, and place into your over at 225* for about 4-4.5 hours. Turn the shanks over after two hours.

Once the shanks come out of the over, move that roaster back to the range and heat the broth to a boil. You can use a roux or cornstarch to thicken to your specifications. I pull the meat off the bone, you won't need a knife, them cut it into smaller bite size pieces.
    Make a pot of rice. Place a serving of rice on the plate, add some of the meat, then cover with your thicken onion brown gravy. Serve with any vegetable.

I promise you, You Will Love It... so much so that my Mother In Law doesn't really care for venison but she ate this up..

Kinda like Oso Bucco

Sounds delicious!

Comment

Almost better than backstraps. Some folks will give me the shanks because they don't want to fool with them.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
        Sounds delicious!
        Try it, I promise you will not be disappointed...

Comment

That is a poor man’s Osso Bucco. Love it

Comment

Did this yesterday, ate it over mashed potatoes. It will now be a staple in the rotation!

Comment

We started roasting the shanks and necks a few years ago , my favorite cuts and preparation by far.

Comment

Originally posted by rjs68 View Post
                We started roasting the shanks and necks a few years ago , my favorite cuts and preparation by far.
                Neck would be my second favorite. Slow roasted in a big cast iron roaster all day long. meat literally falls off the bone and is fork tender..

Comment

I need to try this with some shanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                    I need to try this with some shanks!
                    You will not be disappointed.

Comment

I normally cook shanks and neck in a crock pot like a Mississippi roast. Shanks are some fantastic eating

Comment

I tried this with fresh kill shanks at the lease Saturday… absolutely delicious
                        I made a roux to thicken it up and really enjoyed.
                        Thanks for sharing this

Comment

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
                          I tried this with fresh kill shanks at the lease Saturday… absolutely delicious
                          I made a roux to thicken it up and really enjoyed.
                          Thanks for sharing this
                          Glad you liked it. You can do the same thing with Neck Roast. Low and Slow all day. Meat falls off the bone

Comment

I’m wondering if corn starch would satisfy me the way a roux did…have you tried it both ways ?

Comment

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
                              I’m wondering if corn starch would satisfy me the way a roux did…have you tried it both ways ?
                              Haven't tried the roux yet, but I know the cornstarch does work.

Comment

Working...
                              X