Pheasant recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
    Cube into big chunks, marinate, and grill on kebabs with vegetables.
    this sounds the best to me, mainly because I've never eaten one. Have heard good things about
    them. I would think it would be similar to chicken since they don't fly around as much as a dove or duck.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post

this sounds the best to me, mainly because I've never eaten one. Have heard good things about
      them. I would think it would be similar to chicken since they don't fly around as much as a dove or duck.

Well, they’re a white meat so they dry out during the cooking process much more easily than dove or duck do. The secret to succulent pheasant is to undercook them.

Comment

White pheasant chili is great!

A little more work but Pheasant Casserole is hard to beat!

2-3 pheasants - boil and cut all meat off bones (tear/shred into small pieces)

1 package Uncle Ben's Wild Long Grain Rice - prepared according to package

Saute - 1 Lg white onion and 8-10 sliced portobella mushrooms in 1 stick of butter

Heat together, 1 can - cream of mushroom soup, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 cup of sour cream
        Stir in 1 can sliced water chestnuts
        Add salt, pepper and cajun seasoning to taste (I add cayenne for a little extra)
        Take off heat and stir in cooked rice and pheasant

Pour all into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 30 min (up to 45 min according to how you like the texture)
        Add french fried onions on top and bake for 15 min to finish

Comment

Folks will laugh at how the ‘roux’ is made….hands down best gumbo I’ve ever made and/or eaten. Feel free to go up to double on the gumbo base (3 bags), you can also substitute the pheasant with chicken thighs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
            Cut birds in quarters and place in smoker for one hour. During the smoke start a pot of Gumbo using your favorite recipe. Cut up 1 or 2 links of quality sausage and add to pot along with smoked pheasant and simmer for 1 hour. You can thank me at any given time but it really isn’t necessary.
            I made a huge pot of pheasant gumbo years ago in ND on a duck hunt and invited the whole town. Seems they. All showed up too!! I remember one old farmer laughed at us driving from Texas to shoot ducks and said you know those ducks migrate right! I told him I couldn’t wait that long!! Then invited him over for gumbo the next day and he showed up! Fun times!!

Comment

Working...
            X