Pheasant recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant recipes?

Anyone have a good recipe? Open To suggestions. Thanks!

If these are farm raised and released birds it is hard to beat just cutting them into strips and chicken frying like you would anything else.

If these are wild birds and you want a plain meal that everyone will actually enjoy try the following,

Take two whole pheasants with bones intact.
    Place in pressure cooker or instapot for 30-45 minutes with 1 cup water, 1 can chicken broth, 1/2 large onion chopped, 1 stalk celery chopped fine, 1 clove garlic chopped, 2 teaspoons salt, one teaspoon black pepper. .
    After pressure release debone the pheasant and throw away the bones (It should almost fall off the bone or it isn't done enough). Put the meat back in the broth. Add three 8 ounce cans of tomato sauce , 2 cups real rice, 5 cups water. Bring to a boil and then just simmer until the rice is soft to your liking. Usually the pheasant will start shredding apart as it gets done. You will need to add salt to taste and I like to add some Tony's. The rice should absorb most of the liquid and the consistency should be like a thick soup or gumbo.

Comment

Throw them away and buy Cornish game hens. Your buddies will love them.

Comment

We generally do either fried strips like Clay stated or smoke them. If you smoke them, brine well first and i generally wrap in bacon so they dont dry out

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          Throw them away and buy Cornish game hens. Your buddies will love them.
          Exactly ! If you have to disguise the meat with all kinds of sauces and such it ain’t pheasant anymore. I’ve eaten several and they are always dry.

Comment

Are you looking to use the whole pheasant or just the breast meat?

Comment

Game birds. Plan on Cookin just the breasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkag09 View Post
                We eat a lot of pheasant at our house. As with almost any lean game meat, the key to cooking pheasant breast is to cook them rare. A little pink is okay, even preferable.

I have a number of pheasant recipes that range from simple to complex. Here are a few of the simpler ones that I make fairly frequently:

1. Saut?ed in a skillet, then use the drippings to make Buerre Blanc (a quick and easy white wine butter sauce).
                2. Pheasant Piccata with sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese.
                3. Pheasant breast with saut?ed grapes and a white wine cream sauce. (I know how this sounds but it tastes much better.)
                4. Pheasant Pot Pie
                5. Rolled pheasant breasts: pound them thin, spread with a mixture of cream cheese and chives, roll them up and wrap with bacon and bake OR after pounding, spread some basil pesto on them, followed by ricotta cheese, roll them up, wrap with prosciutto, and bake.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkag09 View Post
                  On a pheasant I think the thighs are worth getting also. Hell try it one time.

Comment

Deep fat fried along with the gizzards with mashed potatoes and homemade gravy. That's my favorite way to eat it.

Or just do it like fried chicken. I prefer deep fat fried but if you don't want to mess with that, pan fried is good too.
                    Last edited by okrattler; 12-16-2023, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Cube into big chunks, marinate, and grill on kebabs with vegetables.

Comment

Cut birds in quarters and place in smoker for one hour. During the smoke start a pot of Gumbo using your favorite recipe. Cut up 1 or 2 links of quality sausage and add to pot along with smoked pheasant and simmer for 1 hour. You can thank me at any given time but it really isn’t necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                          Cut birds in quarters and place in smoker for one hour. During the smoke start a pot of Gumbo using your favorite recipe. Cut up 1 or 2 links of quality sausage and add to pot along with smoked pheasant and simmer for 1 hour. You can thank me at any given time but it really isn’t necessary.
                          I'm sure you could do the same with crow, meadow lark, or spotted owl and it would be great

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

I'm sure you could do the same with crow, meadow lark, or spotted owl and it would be great
                            Growing up black birds ( or rice birds) dove and meadow larks all went in the same pot. We were good enough at bringing home the groceries that we never had to try the crows and owls.

Comment

Those little black birds are good. Takes a bunch of them though. If you flushed tgem just right, you might get 20 at one shot though.

Comment

Working...
                              X