Deer/Pig ground up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer/Pig ground up

Okay, so I shot a 60 pound sow the other evening and a small buck the next morning. I brought these two home with me and they are in the ice chest waiting to be ground. I bought a new grinder today and stopped at Kroger and picked up some smoked bacon. I had seen somewhere on TV where a guy was mixing deer and bacon and grinding the two.

Does this sound good?

Also, I had thought of mixing the deer and pig and grinding them together, but don't know if this is a good idea. Tell me your thoughts?

Sausage for the pig and hamburger for the deer. If I mix em it will only be for sausage

Comment

I would grind them separate. You then have the option to mix and make sausage or pack for ground meat.

Comment

The pig is def needed for sausage, venison just too lean.

Comment

I've tried wild hog and deer mixed together. I did it 50/50, which to me wasn't enough fat. I like to use pork butts 60% to 40% deer. You might try straight wild hog into some breakfast sausage. Or do like a 70/30 depending on how much fat the wild hog has.

Comment

If you have fatty enough bacon you can make some pretty awesome deer burger patties with the mix. I had a bacon/jalapeño/deer burger last weekend that was great.

Comment

I use one pound of deer meat and 1 slice of thick bacon. It yields about a 90/10 ground.

Cube venison and cut bacon into about 3/4" pieces.
              Make one coarse ground pass with cold venison.
              Divide venison into equal portions for each bacon piece on hand.
              Pass venison/bacon through the grinder on a medium die.

Comment

For a deer breakfast sausage you should mix with pork. Otherwise it will dry out and not bind as easily.

If you use wild hog you will need to add more fat. You could use bacon. But I prefer Pork Caul-Fat. It tends to render better in the sausage.

Spend a little cash. Store bought Pork. To me Boston Butt gives you everything you need for the sausage. Good consistency, texture, added flavor, and fat.

There are hundreds of bfast sausage recipes. Start basic and be precise. Good luck. Keep your meat cold

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Just ground up deer by itself for right now

Comment

Deer/Pork

Grind up 12 pounds of deer, 7 pounds of pork, 6 pounds of bacon ends and pieces (<---@ Walmart or HEB), use Leggs breakfast sausage seasoning (LBSS). Total of 25 pounds of meat.

Spread out the ground deer on table and cover with LBSS, then cover the deer with the gound pork and cover it with LBSS, then spread the ground bacon over the deer, pork, and cover with remaining LBSS. This bag of LBSS will treat 25 lbs. of meat perfectly without adding anything and is not to salty. then start mixing it all up by hand till you have it all mixed up very well, at this point I normally run it all back through the grinder one more time (not necessary but im ****), then vaccum seal it in one pound packages and makes GREAT breakfast sausage. This will put Jimmy Dean to shame I PROMISE!!!!

Comment

I ground some wild hog and deer meat and made link sausage. Smoked it and the result was very dry.

Comment

I like 50/50

Comment

I mixed mine 70/30 . Krogers sells the bacon ends and pieces in a 3lb bag. this makes for soem juicy hamburgers.

Comment

Working...
                          X