Sausage venison to pork ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage venison to pork ratio

Post up what ratio you use, getting ready to try another batch and want to know how much pork to buy. I used 1:1 last try and it was a little bit on the dry side for my liking, I did use wild pork so that could have been the problem (leaner than store bought)

Also anyone in the Tyler area know of the best place to buy pork to add to sausage. Thinking about buying butts at Sams right now unless someone knows a better place

Thanks

60:40 pork heavy. I buy the boneless picnic shoulders. Just the right amount of fat.

Comment

I use 60:40 Pork Butt to venison. Wild hog is too lean and the fat is too dry for the mix IMO.

I buy my Pork Butts from Wal Mart.

Comment

I do 1/3 venison and 2/3 pork. I just by the pork butts at Wal-Mart. Always good, not too fat and not to lean.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogdude1234 View Post
          I use 60:40 Pork Butt to venison. Wild hog is too lean and the fat is too dry for the mix IMO.

For sasauge this is great!

For burger I use 50/50 brisket to venison

Comment

Originally posted by yazoomike View Post
            60:40 pork heavy. I buy the boneless picnic shoulders. Just the right amount of fat.
            Originally posted by Hogdude1234 View Post

This is the ratio that my family has used for years and it's as close to perfect as I've eaten.

They also use pork butts.

Comment

Salami: 1/3 of each: venison, beef and pork
              Klobase (link sausage): same or 60/40 (heavy side is pork)

Comment

50/50 or 60/40 roughly, not an exact science. More important that your spices and water and cure match the total weight of the meat rather than how much of one or the other.

Comment

I used 40% deer
                  20% hog shoulder lean
                  And 40% fat back from the meat house - solid fat
                  Got a perfect consistancy. Not dry and don't need any grease to help cook.

Comment

70/30 Pork to Venison with nothing added or 60/40 pork to venison w/ 5 lbs. of beef tallow.

Comment

I guess I will try 60:40 and see how it turns out

I used Travis's sausage recipe last go round and I believe the wild pork was what caused it to be dry. You could still eat it but most of the time I used it for something like jambalaya and it was good

I did not see any pork butt at WM, guess I will look closer

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

I did not see any pork butt at WM, guess I will look closer
                        I saw a hole lot at our walmart (more than I care to talk about)

Comment

Just made a batch of Polish Sausdage today and used 50-50 pork butts and venison. Ran a 30 lb batch of sausage and used 15 lbs of each pork and venison..

Comment

Call mineola packing house and ask for boneless pork butts or buy a box of lean pork trimmings. What you don;t use you could fry up for gratons!

Comment

My BIL goes 1/3 on venison, pork butt, and brisket and it's rather tasty stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X