X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
    Welcome to Laguna!

Says the guy who whacked one 50yds away from me without me hearing it last year [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

GATA guys! Keep at it!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
      Says the guy who whacked one 50yds away from me without me hearing it last year [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

GATA guys! Keep at it!
      😂😂 it was probably like 60 yards!

Comment

Shot a big 10 this afternoon. Got a pass through. Unrecovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Port isla inn TBH happy hour room 122 - stop by and say hello, we’re awake as long as the doors open.
          Won’t be a late night,early morning tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post

Dang man! Keep an eye out for buzzards the next couple of days. Seeing bucks chasing?

Comment

Dang that sucks.

Comment

Oh man, that stinks bro. You have hunted long enough and like you already know , it happens from time to time.

Hard pill to swallow but keep at it and you know the drill--redemptioj

Comment

Can someone drop me and my buddy off in unit 4🤣

Comment

Originally posted by prodigyoutdoors View Post
                    Can someone drop me and my buddy off in unit 4🤣
                    Thought you were going to ask if someone could drop you off in Port Isla Rm 122, lol

Comment

No one needed a ride home either, fortunately

Comment

It shot a bull tonight. Frontal shot at 10 yards or less, slightly quartering away. I must have managed to hit the shoulder blade. I found very little blood and the insert was shoved an inch into the arrow. Broadhead must still be in him but I think he’ll live.

I rode my bike out late after looking for him and came across a cow and calf in the road. I slowed down and assumed they’d run off. The cow did but the bull calf started running right at me. He brushed my bike as I was bailing. It was crazy. Just glad no one was there to hear me screaming as he was coming at me.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigyoutdoors View Post
                          Can someone drop me and my buddy off in unit 4[emoji1787]

I know last year some guys paid a local to drop them off but relying on them to also pick you up is another story haha

Comment

I wasn't complaining -- not really, anyway. This is my fifth hunt here. I'm trying to help those who know a bit less about the place and these animals. Anyway, this afternoon from about noon on was AWESOME conditions. I had a pin on a nice doe at 30 yards but she wouldn't step out from behind the brushy mesquite tree. I never saw her come out on either side, so I think she retreated back into the thicket right behind the tree -- or she dropped down into the waist-high grass and disappeared. I wasn't busted, though -- she just had another destination on her mind.

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
                              No one needed a ride home either, fortunately

Sry door was closed. We’re in the black dually

Comment

Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Long read.
                                Today was the best day I’ve personally had at LANWR. I decided once I was up, I was going bc momma didn’t raise no sissy. Get out at before daylight and head to sit in the windy rain. Bumped two does early, then Got to my spot and found a nice tree to get elevated. Bad thing I was facing the north and the wind was whipping that lil tree. I stayed anyways. 20 minutes in, had a nice size doe cruise by but no shot. About 20 minutes see another deer dart out and back in where she came from. Then a small 2.5 year old came in after I grunted a couple times. Had him at 6 yards under my tree and he was oblivious to where I was. Easily could’ve torched him but he’s a baby. Played with him for about 30 minutes grunting and rattling him back in after he’d walkoff. Got down about 930 to go meet the rest of the crew and fry off some. Went back out around 1215 when the weather was started to change. Got to stopping point on the road and started my walk in. Was on the south side of of the brush working back to the north dead into the wind. About 200 yards from the road, I stumble upon a doe. Didn’t range her but took a quick guesstimate and let it fly. She was quartering to and I missed. She ran off about 30 yards then went back to eating. I made my way around the corner and there she was. 20 yards and I don’t miss twice. Down she went @1245. Gutted her and hung her up in the “Laguna field meat locker”. Pic will make you laugh haha. While cleaning had, 3 more does come in to about 80.
                                Continued the evening walk to my target location, slowly and methodically bc the wind was a great cover today. Bumped a buck off a bed but couldn’t get on him. Finally make it to my spot and immediately see a decent pig right out in the middle. I decide to stalk in and try to schmoke him too. Get to about 35-40 and reach for rangefinder and it’s not in my jacket pocket. Check all pockets then realize I have now lost the dang thing. Guess the pigs distance at 35 and let it fly. Arrow slapped Right under the armpit. Then a second one runs out to about 50 and now I’m angry and let it fly. Nope, Torched a mesquite limb. Iron wills are work the money. (See pic). Get angry after missing twice so I go look for my first arrow. Get there under the tree and standing there looking hard at the grass and lo and behold a cow sneaks in on me. I catch her when I look up so I turn to her take a guess on yardage yet again. She’s about 50. Set pin and draw praying she don’t run. She just stands there trying to figure out what I am. She’s quartered to me. Pin on her front right shoulder and let it fly. Arrow is on a great line until she spins and the arrow skips off her chest into the grass behind. 3 misses in 5 minutes time and I haven’t gotten set up in my spot. Look for arrow and don’t find it. Go sit down and lick my wounds thinking about how I’m gonna tell this story and how am I gonna make a shot if something else comes in. Get set up and stay for til about 4. Go look for my arrows again and luckily find my second which had an iron will on it. Smile and say thanks to the man upstairs for what I love to do and head in to get an my doe taken care of.

Just hit back from Walmart with a new rangefinder for the morning hunt. Stay tuned!!!

Last edited by txoutdoorsman24; 12-17-2022, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X