Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
    Yesterday was extremely quiet, no doubt to all of the foot and bike traffic on Thursday. So, the impatient ones, or maybe late arrivers, decided to move around yesterday afternoon, scaring off anything that might have considered moving around again. COME ON GUYS, stop moving around during the day. I also saw the craziest set ups yesterday -- one guy put his pop-up right in the middle of the mowed path, and another set up his 12-foot tripod stand right along the work road where every hunter has to pass at least twice a day, the seat being visible for maybe a quarter mile in any direction. FLASH BREAKING NEWS BULLETIN: nilgai have excellent eyesight and avoid anything unusual. Seriously, I hope the nonsense stops soon or this is going to be a long hunt. Heading out in a bit -- the latest radar shows showers getting harder and then ending around noon-ish, though I don't think the wind is going to settle much this afternoon.
    People will always do what they want. Can’t blame them. They drew the tag just like you. Setup in an escape route and invite people to move. I’ve seen lots of animals this way. Sunday mornings is when I see the most people moving around. Just remember it’s public land and enjoy the hunt. Some people like to spot and stalk, still hunt, blind hunt, or put tripods in ridiculous spots. Good luck to you brother.

Comment

I used to hunt this place where the nilgai would move from the surrounding ranches along a fence line and into our shooting lanes. Along comes this guy from California onto the lease and notices this, so he puts up a tripod right on the fence line to see them coming. Smart move. Didn't see any animals come in through there after that.
      Forecast for Monday and Tuesday is looking good. Better weather and less hunters!

Comment

[QUOTE=Mr. Public;16561657]That’s part of hunting Laguna. Just got to dismiss and work around it. Not every one has the same skill set and are experienced and tenured hunters.

We haven’t had an issue with anyone. We walk right by a guy set up on a 10ft tripod at an intersection each time. He is 100% exposed in the sky. But I can tell he is enjoying his time and sight seeing. He was literally sipping a cup of coffee and reading a book. Super nice, we communicate about our timing. Heck We came out and he was watch a bull staring right at us. I noticed him glassing, looked at the direction he was glassing and signaled to him. He waved us on by as the bull watched.

And that is why the success rate for nilgai with a bow at Laguna is 1%. It is in my opinion the toughest public land bow hunt in Texas. Its a super tough hunt and there are some knuckleheads to contend with...but I love to chase them!!! #nilgaionthebrain

Comment

It a bad morning at all. Deer were up and moving. Could’ve pinched a buck tag but he wasn’t what I was after. Young dumb 8 was under me twice at 8 yards. He just don’t realize how lucky he is to still be walking lol

Comment

Used to hunt unit six for years during the bow hunt. To me people moving around can help push animals which can work in your favor.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
              Yesterday was extremely quiet, no doubt to all of the foot and bike traffic on Thursday. So, the impatient ones, or maybe late arrivers, decided to move around yesterday afternoon, scaring off anything that might have considered moving around again. COME ON GUYS, stop moving around during the day. I also saw the craziest set ups yesterday -- one guy put his pop-up right in the middle of the mowed path, and another set up his 12-foot tripod stand right along the work road where every hunter has to pass at least twice a day, the seat being visible for maybe a quarter mile in any direction. FLASH BREAKING NEWS BULLETIN: nilgai have excellent eyesight and avoid anything unusual. Seriously, I hope the nonsense stops soon or this is going to be a long hunt. Heading out in a bit -- the latest radar shows showers getting harder and then ending around noon-ish, though I don't think the wind is going to settle much this afternoon.
              Welcome to Laguna!

Comment

Yeah IME on public you can leverage the walkers to your advantage while hunting, scouting is a different story. I've never been down there but I'm leary of walking all over scouting the day before and running stuff out of where I'd end up setting up. I may stay back and get a basic idea scout on without pushing in too far.

Comment

Dad and I are finally back where we need to be. It’s going to happen this evening. I’m calling it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

More bloodshed has happened already[emoji2936]

Comment

I have a feeling it’s going to be a bloody afternoon hunt, with one kill already for the ATeam! Let’s go!!!

Comment

Man the A team is keeping the rest of us going. Good work

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
                          Man the A team is keeping the rest of us going. Good work

Deer are on their feet now that rain stopped. Get after em!

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
                            Deer are on their feet now that rain stopped. Get after em!

I’m trying lol

Comment

If people ain’t hunting right now they need to get kicked in arse. Unreal afternoon so far. About to start a truck outa the brush to tend my kill. I will update later!

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                                If people ain’t hunting right now they need to get kicked in arse. Unreal afternoon so far. About to start a truck outa the brush to tend my kill. I will update later!

Way to go , A team representing big time.

You guys never disappoint.. can't wait to see a your harvest..

Comment

Working...
                                X