Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
    Why did y’all ship them to the office?

Because they would not have arrived until after our departure. I wanted to use them there, so I called the office and they said that fine. I learned about the Bug Tamer Jacket from the lady that ran it on my trip there to scout.
    After the first 2 days without them, we were very happy to have them the rest of the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's a tough hunt. There were plenty of snakes and way more mosquitoes than I had ever experienced. Deer were not overly plentiful.

I would drag my Dad out there to hunt. That was about 15 years ago. We killed a few deer and made some great memories, but I probably won't hunt it again unless I have a grandson someday that really wants to go.

Good luck to the adventurers.

Comment

Advice - I echo most everyone else:
        Bug suit - treated with permethrin
        Bug Spray - we used Sawyer's 100% DEET
        Tripod 10 - 12 feet above the ground
        Snake leggings

Comment

Note to self.......do NOT get 100% DEET on your bow. It will eat it.
          My Avatar is from there.......Oh the stories I could tell about the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. My Dad’s stories are even better. My Dad started taking me out there when I was about 10. That was around 1976. He would put me up in a tree and go hunt. Trudged through more water at chest level than I care to remember. I lost count of how many cans of mosquito spray/100% DEET we went through. Stopped hunting there by the time I was 18. Missed a few deer but always left with some great stories and mosquito nightmares. Like others said.....miss camping along the road when there were 100’s of bowhunters. Miss fishing at Hoppers Landing and driving in to Austwell for Mexican food. I remember at the end of each hunt before we arrived home my Dad would say.....”now don’t tell your Mom what all you had to go through on this hunt”. We laugh about all of the trips to this day. . If I find some old pics I will post them.

Comment

I drew it too

Hey, I drew that tag too. hit me up, maybe we can coordinate.

Comment

Man, I know it’s still a few weeks out but the Aransas thread is quiet this year.

What’s everyone’s lodging plans and scouting plans?
              I believe first weekend of October and then the day before are scouting days.
              I won’t be able to make the 1st and 2nd due to having to be at the lease that weekend.

Comment

Everyone’s scared.

Comment

I’m planning on calling and seeing if they’ll have any stand by’s.

Have never hunted the archery. I’m looking forward to the challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                    I’m planning on calling and seeing if they’ll have any stand by’s.

Have never hunted the archery. I’m looking forward to the challenge.
                    Have to do it at least one time for the experience. I would have to have a long conversation with my Dad before I went back. He would need to re-fresh some pointers about the place. Him and his buddies had certain roads/areas that we went to. One year we walked in about two or three miles. The next day we found another road that was a closer to the area we were hunting. That stuff happens. Hope you have a chance to hunt it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                      Everyone’s scared.
                      That’s likely exactly what it is, hesitant excitement.
                      My wife couldn’t understand why I wasn’t more excited that I managed to draw something, I told her “if you only knew this place”
                      Then she asked why would I even apply, told her I guess I’m just a sucker for punishment.

I mentioned it somewhere else but the fact that my buddy and I both drew on the 2nd go and both on separate tickets with 1 loyalty point apiece just goes to show a lot of guys probably ducked out of the first draw.

My mom has a bay house about 43 minutes from the refuge near magnolia beach, so me and my buddy are just gonna stage there and save a little cash. If I decide to take off and hunt that whole week then I may spend a day or two driving back and forth to home since it’s a little under and hr from me one way.

Comment

I was drawn for the December 10-14 gun hunt. Looking forward to seeing how y’all do in the archery hunts and use that knowledge when I go in December.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel32 View Post
                          I was drawn for the December 10-14 gun hunt. Looking forward to seeing how y’all do in the archery hunts and use that knowledge when I go in December.
                          I’ll shoot you some info if I find anything worth passing along.
                          Worse case I’ll be able to tell you what NOT to do.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                            That’s likely exactly what it is, hesitant excitement.
                            My wife couldn’t understand why I wasn’t more excited that I managed to draw something, I told her “if you only knew this place”
                            Then she asked why would I even apply, told her I guess I’m just a sucker for punishment.

I mentioned it somewhere else but the fact that my buddy and I both drew on the 2nd go and both on separate tickets with 1 loyalty point apiece just goes to show a lot of guys probably ducked out of the first draw.

My mom has a bay house about 43 minutes from the refuge near magnolia beach, so me and my buddy are just gonna stage there and save a little cash. If I decide to take off and hunt that whole week then I may spend a day or two driving back and forth to home since it’s a little under and hr from me one way.
                            Staying in some comfort will be nice. Two of my uncles had bay houses in Magnolia. Spent plenty of time down there fishing. I grew up in Victoria and moved to Beeville when I was 11. Glad you were drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                              Staying in some comfort will be nice. Two of my uncles had bay houses in Magnolia. Spent plenty of time down there fishing. I grew up in Victoria and moved to Beeville when I was 11. Glad you were drawn.
                              I love going down there. It’s a lot easier to beat the crowds in indianola than it is trying to drag the boat to POC. Occasionally I get energetic and brave the crowd at the marina and catch some of them big drum coming into powderhorn. May actually wet a line one evening when I’m down there before the hunt starts.

My buddy lives north of Houston, when I told him we had a place with all the comforts of home just a short drive from the refuge his outlook changed a lot.

Comment

Lots of drum and bulls being caught at the marina right now. I imagine it will only get better.

Comment

Working...
                                X