No announcement yet.

Aransas NWR Archery Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to hunt there a lot when you camped on the side of the road. I killed a nice 8 point there years ago. Watch for snakes alligator and skeeters. I had a head net on one time and couldn’t see to walk because there were so may mosquitoes. Hip waders are helpful for water and to keep the Skeeter’s off.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
      Stay home
      not far off!
      but....got to experience that at least once. it's different.
      once you get settled into a stand and the skeeters taper off to one every square inch, things aren't too bad and....you're hunting.

Comment

Had a little drama there once:
        Someone reported a truck like ours that some "hunters" were riding in the bed, standing with their bows at the ready.
        We came out thru check station and got pulled off to the side.
        We'd befriended(if you really can)a new Ranger. He was practicing with a new Jerry Hill longbow and he really like out homemade bows. He said he couldn't believe what he heard and thought of us, two longbow shooters riding around looking for pot shots. He was still giving us third degree when another truck like ours came thru.

Guess what? They confessed and got kicked out.

PS, I know I said recurve earlier, but the story reminded me we were hunting with longbows.
        Last edited by hpdrifter; 09-03-2022, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Maybe things are gonna be better than previous years or maybe we will have some sort of luck on our side. It’s the only hunt I have as of right now so I’m gonna try and make the best of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OP, I only apply for the Dec rifle hunt. Mosquito and reptile activity drops tremendously. Drawn twice. First time shot a nice buck. Last year, it rained the whole time and I didn't see a deer.

Comment

The Aransas hunts are definitely not for Fair Weather hunters. Depends on how hard core you are in Aransas. It is first come first serve and there are no permanent blinds( Bring your own) You may see see some Deer and mostly hogs if you are going to hunt close to the roads you park on. I always try to find the most overgrown stretch of road where you will not see any flagging from years past find a good trail and follow as deep in as you might want to haul an animal out , don't be afraid to walk in the whole way in standing water. Lots of the guys will be trying to get as close as possible to the border of the NO Hunting zone by the auto tour loop. If you have access to a Tripod I highly recommend that as there are very few areas for Popups and even fewer for any kind of tree stands .
              Good Luck
              Last edited by Static1968; 09-06-2022, 04:07 PM.

Comment

When I was went, there were many areas with trees.
                Maybe a hurricane washed them away.
                Do you put tripods up out in the open?

Granted they weren't climbing stand trees, but strap on/bolt on seemed like they'd be handy.
                But then again, a tripod would give a LOT more options.

Comment

Well, a lot of guys must have researched and backed out. Me and a buddy both drew on second draw with 1 loyalty point and on separate tickets. Starting to make some sort of a game plan, going to be very limited on being able to scout before time.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                    Well, a lot of guys must have researched and backed out. Me and a buddy both drew on second draw with 1 loyalty point and on separate tickets. Starting to make some sort of a game plan, going to be very limited on being able to scout before time.
                    Go fishing instead, you will have a much more enjoyable time.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                      Go fishing instead, you will have a much more enjoyable time.
                      Oh don’t worry, I’m not overly excited about it.

Comment

As said above - my last trip was in ‘81, 100’s of hunters camping beside the road and as a kid I had a great time (with the camping part lol). Maybe they have cut the numbers down and that would be great. Every deer I saw was hauling buns running from hunters. We did get off in the swamps but it was very hairy walking around all of those gator beds in waste deep water. If you pack in a tripod no matter how far you were off of the beaten path someone else would climb in it right after you left (we caught one) but that was a long time ago. I hear they have a blood bank there now ;-)! Go and enjoy the experience.

Comment

For hunters going on this hunt:

If you plan to take any knowledge from this forum, this is my suggestion.

Order a Bug Tamer Jacket.

We ordered them and had them shipped to the Aransas Office.

Comment

We hunted last year and was it a tough hunt, yes it was, but I loved it.

Would I go back? No lol.

The place is so unique and I enjoyed seeing brand new country and getting into the swamps and all that. Our group had a blast and we got to spend some time in the woods.

Comment

It's been 37 years since I hunted there and still have nightmares about the mosquitos!
                              We ran out of insect spray, so we went to Austwell to use a phone (pre-cell phone days). Called my then girlfriend/now wife of 36 years who lived in Refugio, convinced her to drive over and bring more spray. When she got there, she cracked the window of her car just enough to throw the spray out. No way was she opening her door! My morning ritual was to spray my body with Off, then get dressed and spray all my clothes.
                              Was hunting a fence line that had a good trail next to it, backed off in the brush a bit. Here comes another hunter walking down the fence right at me but oblivious to my presence. Waited until he was a few feet away before saying "Hey". He about sh*t himself!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                                For hunters going on this hunt:

If you plan to take any knowledge from this forum, this is my suggestion.

Order a Bug Tamer Jacket.

We ordered them and had them shipped to the Aransas Office.

Why did y’all ship them to the office?

Comment

Working...
                                X