Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elephant Mountain or Matador Archery Mule Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt them both life is short

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      Man you are one lucky dog! I think in that situation I'm going Matador.
      No doubt...turkey hunted at the Matador this Spring, and saw (15) - (20) Mule Deer each day!

Comment

If you haven’t been to Matador in the last few years The WMA manager has done a lot of brush clearing and I mean a lot, it was really disheartening to remember how it was in the 90s-early 2000s. I think the cattle grazing is looked at more favorable than hunters but that’s me…. I would go for Elephant Mountain!

Comment

Congratulations man. I'd be happy to draw anything. I am getting to the point where I feel like I could have paid for a decent hunt $3 at a time.

Comment

To answer the original question, I'd go to Elephant...

Comment

I hunted Matador and you will have a good chance at being successful. They have a lot of water troughs in each compartment that the deer will visit. No experience with EM but I bet it will be awesome too. Good problem to have.

Comment

Any decision? Today is the deadline to pay, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                  Any decision? Today is the deadline to pay, right?
                  Flipped a coin and it chose Elephant Mountain

Comment

Originally posted by taylorfaught View Post
                    Flipped a coin and it chose Elephant Mountain

So how many points did you have for each? I’ve asked and I believe several others have asked too. I may have missed the answer . Just curious what it takes to get drawn.

Best of luck on your adventure and I know I can speak for many when I say looking forward to following along.[emoji119]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                      So how many points did you have for each? I’ve asked and I believe several others have asked too. I may have missed the answer . Just curious what it takes to get drawn.

Best of luck on your adventure and I know I can speak for many when I say looking forward to following along.[emoji119]

sorry, I actually hadn't answered.

I'm not sure how many points I had before being drawn for archery mule deer specifically, currently I show 0 obviously.

Individual loyalty points currently being shown I have 4 and my father has 11, group points are 8.

I do know we have put in for EM every year in my 10 years as an adult and this is my first draw
                      Last edited by taylorfaught; 08-28-2022, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coachwhip View Post
                        If you haven’t been to Matador in the last few years The WMA manager has done a lot of brush clearing and I mean a lot, it was really disheartening to remember how it was in the 90s-early 2000s. I think the cattle grazing is looked at more favorable than hunters but that’s me…. I would go for Elephant Mountain!
                        True, the area has undergone extensive brush reduction, but that's a GOOD thing. Lots of folks are under the false impression that whitetail and mule deer need lots of brush. That's false, especially for mule deer. The Matador is in far better shape now than it was in the early 1990's. Remember, deer don't eat mesquite leaves or redberry juniper, but they do eat the forbs that will grow in the absense of those invasive, woddy species.

Now, you can sit on a hill, glass, spot & stalk over most of the WMA.

In the last decade, they've also taken the biggest antlers and body weights in history.

With all that said, I encourage everyone, in the future, to put in for Elephant Mountain as hunting the Matador is far too difficult and unsuccessful.

Comment

i think the coin made the right decision. mostly because em is an experience. i haven't hunted it but did draw for md at black gap a few years ago and it was a fun hunt and i had previously drawn a md hunt at matador so of the two i would have gone with EM.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post

Even with the Cube system I don't think points mean much. I know for a fact they didn't mean much prior to the cube system.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                              You drew two hunts in the same category? I didn't even know you could do that!
                              Pay attention people!!! It's 2 DIFFERENT categories. Archery Mule Deer and Archery Deer.

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                                Pay attention people!!! It's 2 DIFFERENT categories. Archery Mule Deer and Archery Deer.
                                "Got drawn for 2 of the best wma’s in the state for archery me duke deer this year, only problem is they’re the same week. Any opinions on which to pick?"

See copied OP. Get your lines right before spouting off and looking like a fool.

Why add worthless nonsense to a thread that when you're not even right based on the information we had at the time of my post.

Comment

Working...
                                X