Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
    Considering the inflation and current fuel prices, what are your thoughts on the number of applications and the overall interest/attendance of the hunts?
    I think lots of people will consider more high % local meat hunt permits over low odds long distance draws
    The competition is still stiff on hunts like mulie and pronghorn, exotic

Comment

I put in for the hardest to draw stuff (rifle mule deer, pronghorn and exotic). Never surprised when I don't draw, but there's always a chance I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
        Another way to look at this; how many folks will be hitting up the draw system for the first time because they can't afford a lease this year?
        Yes, good point. I thought of that too. Many folks probably had to drop a lease or some other lost opportunity due to funds.

I am in the market for a honda car, don't be making fun of me when I pull up. I aint above strapping a deer on the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
          I'll still put in for the same number of hunts and go to the standby hunts depending on permits to be drawn.

May carpool instead of multiple vehicles.
          I like the carpool idea! Wish I had hunting buddies that lived closer, still always have to have everyone in alignment on quick decision, fast action, limited gear trips.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
            I think it may have a bigger impact on the number of stand by hunters who show up. If I apply for a hunt, I'm budgeting for the potential of being drawn for that hunt in my annual hunting expenses. However, it's unlikely I will drive several hours to put my name in the hat to maybe get drawn.
            6 years of driving to Chap for SB a couple times each year without getting it has racked up a hell of a fuel bill, a many hours driving, and several thousands of miles.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
              The Chap had ONE GDE date I think I have 14 pts but keeping adding a buddy that only has 6 pts. I think he is holding me down If I don't draw this year, next year I go solo !
              I recommend you go solo now. Why? YOLO! I hate myself for using that acronym.

Comment

Inflation and fuel ain't gonna make a single difference to me. I just try to make the hunts so they don't overlap categories. That sometimes means only picking 1 hunt date on hunts with several dates. But if getting drawn for two hunts in two different categories means having to drive from one hunt directly to the next, I'm good with that.

Comment

It won't affect me, I put in for the same hunts every year. As I continue to build points I have become picky on what hunts I put in for.

As far as standbys, I am still planning to go on the same standbys as I normally do, but as we get closer, depending on what I have going on may impact my willingness to go.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                    Nice my son started living with me 2 years ago this is our 3rd year. We haven't drawn squat .lol

When my son was younger he only got drawn on a single doe youth hunt in the 8 years we applied yet we went on multiple hunts every year. We did standby at a lot of places and had better than 50% success getting on. Chap doe hunt is basically a 100% chance and we did that hunt every year and some years did it more than once. Look at the stats from prior years and you will be surprised by the number of youth hunts that had standby and no one showed up. When those fail then check out TYHP.org for more opportunities. No reason for anyone not to be able to take their kid on at least one hunt every year.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                      I put in for every mule deer hunt , pronghorn and nilgai hunt , whitetail bownanza, grandslam

Will worry about dealing with limited mobility issue if I draw ! LOL
                      Hopefully if I draw I can team up with someone else

I have drawn multiple times on alligator with 100% successful hunts , drew nilgai and my aunt and uncle backed out of the hunt, when I turned back the permits, there were probably
                      100-150 standby hunters waiting in a line @ the refuge ( freaked my uncle out how many wanted the permits)
                      where in the heck are nilgai draws in this system? I've never saw them ... just aoudad.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                        where in the heck are nilgai draws in this system? I've never saw them ... just aoudad.
                        Look @ bottom of the page , National wildlife refuge exotic or
                        spread out your odds and apply for deer hunting also, because it’s unlimited exotic/ nilgai
                        May the odds be in your favor
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-07-2022, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Don't think I have seen a area have stand by for Nilgai.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                            I don't mind the sheep hunts being later, I am talking about all the other hunts for the Fall. I wish those would draw now so you could plan your Fall / vacation / other hunts.
                            Gotcha. Yeah, it would be good to do the drawings earlier. They could start the draw earlier too, if they want to still have plenty of time for entries to come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              Don't think I have seen a area have stand by for Nilgai.
                              Only laguna atatsosa has standby , the feds have thrown us some curveballs on The units up north west and send people to la Sal de ray instead of teniente , ect

Comment

There’s no standby at LANWR. There’s no more in-person orientation either.

Comment

Working...
                                X