Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heath View Post
    The Big Horn draw is not available to enter until Sept. 1st. I went crazy looking for it as well.

I wish the state would draw earlier so it allowed you to plan your Fall better, especially with a lot of these hunts occurring in the middle of the week.
    They do helicopter surveys on the sheep properties in July and August. They wait until those are done first to make sure there's enough sheep on the mountain to allow the hunts.

Comment

Ever wonder why there are so few hunts on large pieces of property that TPWD manages? Well, it's because they allow their personnel to hunt the properties too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        They do helicopter surveys on the sheep properties in July and August. They wait until those are done first to make sure there's enough sheep on the mountain to allow the hunts.
        I don't mind the sheep hunts being later, I am talking about all the other hunts for the Fall. I wish those would draw now so you could plan your Fall / vacation / other hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
          If you apply for over lapping hunt dates can you get drawn for both and pick which one you want to go on? Or does the first selection close you ticket? I am applying for many and curious, thanks.
          Also if you apply with two kids on the same application and get drawn can another adult come and sit the other kid in another stand or would we have to sit 3 to a blind? Thank you and good luck.
          Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
          You can get drawn for 2 different hunts the same dates. You have to pick one to do and the other hunt you don’t go on you’ll lose all your points for. Good question on the youts hunt. I speculate you’ll need 1 adult per yout and can’t ever add anyone after your drawn
          Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
          Pretty sure the other adult would have to be on the card beforehand. I know years ago my son drew his first youth hunt and momma wanted to tag along and video the hunt. I called the place and they would not let her join us because I didn’t include her on my application.
          my 2 boys drew GDE at powderhorn last year with just me on the app, i called and asked if my buddy could come sit with one of my boys so we could split up for the hunt and they said yes. he was not on the app.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
            my 2 boys drew GDE at powderhorn last year with just me on the app, i called and asked if my buddy could come sit with one of my boys so we could split up for the hunt and they said yes. he was not on the app.

That's awesome that they allowed that! I wouldn't count on most of the others being willing. Always good to call and ask, worst you'll ever hear is a no.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
              That's awesome that they allowed that! I wouldn't count on most of the others being willing. Always good to call and ask, worst you'll ever hear is a no.
              thats true, it could be location specific.

Comment

Considering the inflation and current fuel prices, what are your thoughts on the number of applications and the overall interest/attendance of the hunts?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                  Considering the inflation and current fuel prices, what are your thoughts on the number of applications and the overall interest/attendance of the hunts?
                  I can only imagine others will be thinking the same as myself. I'll apply for a few less hunts, culling the apps I'd normally put in that have a less favorable travel distance to reward ratio.

Comment

I'll still put in for the same number of hunts and go to the standby hunts depending on permits to be drawn.

May carpool instead of multiple vehicles.

Comment

I put in for every mule deer hunt , pronghorn and nilgai hunt , whitetail bownanza, grandslam

Will worry about dealing with limited mobility issue if I draw ! LOL
                      Hopefully if I draw I can team up with someone else

I have drawn multiple times on alligator with 100% successful hunts , drew nilgai and my aunt and uncle backed out of the hunt, when I turned back the permits, there were probably
                      100-150 standby hunters waiting in a line @ the refuge ( freaked my uncle out how many wanted the permits)
                      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-07-2022, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I thought about that same thing myself. I've been back and forth on which way it will shake out. I have landed on that the applications will be slightly down this year. I also believe overall not as many people will show up for standby spots.

I will still put in for as many as usual. If I draw a hunt then that's great and I'll definitely go barring some kind of emergency issue coming up. I'll still take my son on youth category standby spots. I've never went standby for adult categories but I'm kicking that around this year.

I have always looked at it like this.....if I don't apply then that's the one time I would've actually been drawn but didn't draw because I didn't try. If that makes sense.
                        Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-07-2022, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I think it may have a bigger impact on the number of stand by hunters who show up. If I apply for a hunt, I'm budgeting for the potential of being drawn for that hunt in my annual hunting expenses. However, it's unlikely I will drive several hours to put my name in the hat to maybe get drawn.

Comment

Another way to look at this; how many folks will be hitting up the draw system for the first time because they can't afford a lease this year?

Comment

The Chap had ONE GDE date I think I have 14 pts but keeping adding a buddy that only has 6 pts. I think he is holding me down If I don't draw this year, next year I go solo !

Comment

Based on that thought, I will do just as many if not a few more apps thsi year

Comment

Working...
                                X