Official 2021-2022 LAKE WHITNEY & AQUILLA Hunting & Fishing Tea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Storm View Post
    It's been awhile since I have posted but I'm at Whitney just looking around the area I hunt.

Well, did you see anything? Or anything else?

Comment

I've only been out for ducks 4 times this season, and it's been extremely slow for me. (18 outings last season, all walk-in)

Tried a spot last Monday that was great last year, never fired a shot. Saw one group of about a dozen birds in the distance.

Thur afternoon I scouted a new spot and saw a few birds. Tried it Fri morning and shot one gadwall. Very few birds flying.

Might get out one more time before the season ends, but I'm tempted to throw in the towel and accept that the season is a bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Well, did you see anything? Or anything else?
        I saw a ton of trails but most were pigs and a lot of rubs most everywhere I went. It looks very promising for next year. Hopefully the dogs will allow me to hunt while they are in training next season.

Comment

How plentiful are the acorn / oak trees out there?

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
            How plentiful are the acorn / oak trees out there?
            There are some here and there. Several really big live oaks well over 200. I know of a few Burr oaks. Blackjacks, scrob, and various others in some places. I run into a red every now and then. Most units have some kind. Some have younger stands of timber. Some older. Just all depends on which place you hunt.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-31-2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I sure wish the Lakeside Marina barge was still open. I used to go down there all the time when Beth Kirby owned it. I love to crappie fish barges when it's to cold to do anything else, besides hunt. And the season is pretty much over (cept pigs). Jig or minner fish. But mostly jig-em up. Seems like we've been losing a lot of fishing barges on various lakes over the years. They used to be a real popular thing during the winter. Lewisville has closed it's doors too. Weatherford is small and sper crowded right now. But they are catching a few. Mostly dinks. Lake Worth was one of the best back in the day. I used to fish Rocky Creek at Benbrook before the marina got flooded so many times, and got destroyed. Grapevine used to have one at Sivlercreek Marina. Ray Hubbard still has one. But that's a drive. Waco hasn't rebuilt yet. Grandbury used to have a couple, both private and public. I'm not sure if Juniper Cove still has one or not. I never caught much in the barge. But did off a buddy's dock/slip on the other side of that rock levy. If I'm gonna travel, Might as well go to LOP or Fork.

Comment

TG we should get together and fish soon

Comment

I'm game for that. Just have to fit it in my schedule, somewhere.

I'ma off today. And maybe tomorrow too. But ain't take-n my boat out till things warm up a bit.

Comment

I sure wish the Lakeside Marina barge was still open. I used to go down there all the time when Beth Kirby owned it. I love to crappie fish barges when it's to cold to do anything else, besides hunt. And the season is pretty much over (cept pigs). Jig or minner fish. But mostly jig-em up. Seems like we've been losing a lot of fishing barges on various lakes over the years. They used to be a real popular thing during the winter. Lewisville has closed it's doors too. Weatherford is small and sper crowded right now. But they are catching a few. Mostly dinks. Lake Worth was one of the best back in the day. I used to fish Rocky Creek at Benbrook before the marina got flooded so many times, and got destroyed. Grapevine used to have one at Sivlercreek Marina. Ray Hubbard still has one. But that's a drive. Waco hasn't rebuilt yet. Grandbury used to have a couple, both private and public. I'm not sure if Juniper Cove still has one or not. I never caught much in the barge. But did off a buddy's dock/slip on the other side of that rock levy. If I'm gonna travel, Might as well go to LOP or Fork.

Lakeside marina was my spot, I bet we were both on there at the same time at one point because I fished the crap out of that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Howdy Eric ! Beth kept it in pretty good shape for crappie. Course she liked to jig crappie fish to. And having a burger hot off the grill was nice.

Do you remember an older gentleman named Mr. Ed? He did occasional handy work for her. And could trotline up some big blues.

Comment

Howdy Eric ! Beth kept it in pretty good shape for crappie. Course she liked to jig crappie fish to. And having a burger hot off the grill was nice.

Do you remember an older gentleman named Mr. Ed? He did occasional handy work for her. And could trotline up some big blues.

Ha, I could never swing the burger but definitely bought a ton of peanut butter crackers and dr. Pepper.

I can’t say I remember his name but there was an older gentleman there all the time that would give us cats to take home. He would also let us take a pinch of his skoal!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess ACE must be mad at me. I can't access water info on their website since the last ice storm.

Comment

ACE finally got their servers back up. The release report is still not fully functional. Gives lake levels and inflow/outflow. But not the release rate.

Comment

Looks like Aquilla is almost as low as Whitney. Sandies are waiting on the spring rains to start migration. Crappie have been moving into position for pre spring spawn. With the warmer trending days (between cool spells), and warming shallow waters, you might find them up a little more shallow right now.

Happy fishing!

W lake is 2.31 feet low.

A lake is 2.19 feet low.

Comment

For what ever reason, the A lake came up a bunch just after I posted it last.

W lake is 2.33 feet low.

A lake is 1.87 feet low.

We need some good rains. Whole Brazos River valley is low except Sumerville and Granger.

Comment

Working...
                                X