No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have heard more than one story of folks parked on county road...look up and see a Nilgai leisurly walking cross from private to LANWR property right in front of them. point being, they are close to the road... at some point. Find a good spot and wait for the others to push them by ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
      I have heard more than one story of folks parked on county road...look up and see a Nilgai leisurly walking cross from private to LANWR property right in front of them. point being, they are close to the road... at some point. Find a good spot and wait for the others to push them by ya.

My cow was taken 508 yards from the road. It’s definitely possible if you’re in the right spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
        3 miles worth of tracking back and forth trying to find her and no dice.

Idk what I could’ve done differently. I spooked idk how many other nilgai trying to find this cow, but I’m gonna be agitated by this for a very long time.

I’ll be back though, hopefully. I didn’t get to read this til I got back to our cabin or I would’ve snapped a picture.
        Man I'm sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to your LDP's. That's a tough one for sure. Like I said before though, you've gotten withing bow range of one of the hardest animals there is to stalk. Many of us only dream of that accomplishment.
        Learn from this and you'll only be better prepared next time. I've enjoyed following along.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bigred everything go good with you? Any pics?

Comment

All good solocam! Yesterday was a busy day and didn’t have enough service out there to post anything.

Shot the cow yesterday morning at 9:00 am. She came in with 2 other cows and made her way in to 20 yards from me (I was sitting on the actual ground with my back against a tree and covered with grass). Of course when she came in, I had gotten really comfortable as I was almost laying on the ground so I had slowly work my way to my knees to get into shooting position. She disappeared behind a large clump of trees in front me and I thought she left so I waited for the other ones to work their way on as I watched them graze on their way in. I reached down to grab my rangefinder and as I did that, I could see the top of her head staring right at me through a bush 20 yards away. I froze. I knew she was on to me so we sat there for about 5 minutes in a stare down. I could she she was starting to spook and she make a quick turn to my right and I could see her shoulder through about a 4 inch opening and she stopped to give me another look. Luckily, I was able to draw back and aim and matter of seconds and sent one into her shoulder.

I waited for 30 minutes before I took up the trail. No blood at site if impact and not a drop around her tracks where she had run. . After losing the bull Friday night, I was almost ready to call it quits and go home, but I decided to give it a go and follow. Luckily we had that rain and I could easily tell which tracks were hers and slowly followed them through the brush. About 100 yards into the track, I found the first sign of blood on a mesquite branch and I knew it was on! She ran into some nasty stuff and I was in my hands and knees following her through it. The blood trail itself was terrible, but I would occasionally find a pinpoint drop to at least confirm I was still on her tracks. I followed the trail for about another 250 yards or so and then lost all tracks and blood. No matter hard I looked, it was all gone and I though for sure it was over. I stopped to take a break and I look to my left and I see horns sticking out of the brush. Had a really nice 8 pointer bedded down and he was trying to avoid me seeing him. He stood up and I ended up taking a frontal shot at him (I know if I would’ve waited a couple more seconds he likely would’ve turned broadside, but mistakes are always on hindsight) and missed. I knew I had missed but figured I would walk the direction he ran just in case and in about 50 yards more, he led me directly to where my cow was laying!! I couldn’t believe it. I made a high shot on her. Penetrated the scapula, went into the chest cavity and did not exit. But luckily made a big enough hole that the chest cavity filled with air and that’s what did the job. She fell in a place where I could wheel my game cart into slowly and we got her out that way. I had a heck of a time this year and look forward to next year! Congrats to everyone who was successful this year!
            Attached Files

Comment

Good deal, that should be some good eating. Good to see people are still killing stuff down there.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                All good solocam! Yesterday was a busy day and didn’t have enough service out there to post anything.

Shot the cow yesterday morning at 9:00 am. She came in with 2 other cows and made her way in to 20 yards from me (I was sitting on the actual ground with my back against a tree and covered with grass). Of course when she came in, I had gotten really comfortable as I was almost laying on the ground so I had slowly work my way to my knees to get into shooting position. She disappeared behind a large clump of trees in front me and I thought she left so I waited for the other ones to work their way on as I watched them graze on their way in. I reached down to grab my rangefinder and as I did that, I could see the top of her head staring right at me through a bush 20 yards away. I froze. I knew she was on to me so we sat there for about 5 minutes in a stare down. I could she she was starting to spook and she make a quick turn to my right and I could see her shoulder through about a 4 inch opening and she stopped to give me another look. Luckily, I was able to draw back and aim and matter of seconds and sent one into her shoulder.

I waited for 30 minutes before I took up the trail. No blood at site if impact and not a drop around her tracks where she had run. . After losing the bull Friday night, I was almost ready to call it quits and go home, but I decided to give it a go and follow. Luckily we had that rain and I could easily tell which tracks were hers and slowly followed them through the brush. About 100 yards into the track, I found the first sign of blood on a mesquite branch and I knew it was on! She ran into some nasty stuff and I was in my hands and knees following her through it. The blood trail itself was terrible, but I would occasionally find a pinpoint drop to at least confirm I was still on her tracks. I followed the trail for about another 250 yards or so and then lost all tracks and blood. No matter hard I looked, it was all gone and I though for sure it was over. I stopped to take a break and I look to my left and I see horns sticking out of the brush. Had a really nice 8 pointer bedded down and he was trying to avoid me seeing him. He stood up and I ended up taking a frontal shot at him (I know if I would’ve waited a couple more seconds he likely would’ve turned broadside, but mistakes are always on hindsight) and missed. I knew I had missed but figured I would walk the direction he ran just in case and in about 50 yards more, he led me directly to where my cow was laying!! I couldn’t believe it. I made a high shot on her. Penetrated the scapula, went into the chest cavity and did not exit. But luckily made a big enough hole that the chest cavity filled with air and that’s what did the job. She fell in a place where I could wheel my game cart into slowly and we got her out that way. I had a heck of a time this year and look forward to next year! Congrats to everyone who was successful this year!

Great story and awesome job sticking with it!

Comment

Congrats Red! Way to stick with it! That’s a big ole girl!!

Comment

Wow! Man that’s a great story! Heck of a hunt! It is amazing how sharp those things are. You just can’t make ANY mistakes, they will pick out the slightest movements. I’m surprised you were still able to get drawn after she noticed something. Heck of a good job!

Great example too of just how hard they are to locate and track after getting hit. Even with all the help from the fresh tracks in the soft post rain ground, you still needed some luck on your side to locate her. It blows me away how tough they are and how little trace of blood they leave behind.

So happy for you! That looks like a BIG cow too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats to those with success on the last hunt. I head out early tomorrow morning for the rifle hunt.

Comment

@BigRed323 Congrats! That is a BIG cow. Glad you recovered her and stuck with it man. Sorry to hear about the loss of the bull. There's more to look forward to!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am inmpressed he was able to maneuver the cart with the big cow on it through that tall grass. I did it with a tripod on wheels & it was a chore.
                          congrats on the Nilgai.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
                            Wow! Man that’s a great story! Heck of a hunt! It is amazing how sharp those things are. You just can’t make ANY mistakes, they will pick out the slightest movements. I’m surprised you were still able to get drawn after she noticed something. Heck of a good job!

Great example too of just how hard they are to locate and track after getting hit. Even with all the help from the fresh tracks in the soft post rain ground, you still needed some luck on your side to locate her. It blows me away how tough they are and how little trace of blood they leave behind.

So happy for you! That looks like a BIG cow too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Thanks everyone!

Yes tough animal for sure and their eyesight is insane. I sure got lucky that she didn’t just bust everything out of there when she saw me going for range finder. Don’t know why she didn’t, but I am sure am thankful for it.

Comment

Man that is what it is all about at Laguna. Highs, lows, and highs again. Great write up. Congrats on a beauty of a cow!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                                @BigRed323 Congrats! That is a BIG cow. Glad you recovered her and stuck with it man. Sorry to hear about the loss of the bull. There's more to look forward to!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                                Thanks man!

I think I know what ended up happening with the bull. I thought I had gotten a pass thru but I’m hitting high and right on my 20 yard pin (don’t know what happened to it). I ended finding my arrow and it ended up having about 6 inches broken off so I think the arrow just stuck on his scapula and didn’t penetrate at all. So he’s likely walking around with a broad head until his demise.

I had a heck of year out there like no other for me. Was able to get a shot on a bull, a cow, and a buck. Hopefully I do, but don’t think I’ll ever have another year like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X