Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
    I wish they would change the rules and at least allow a non hunter to join you during the hunt. I think it would encourage a lot more hunters to take the late evening shot. I know many hunters that passed up on animals because it would be too late on the pack out.

Good job Flyguy. Brag about that story, you deserve it!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
    I’d vote No on that one bud. Too many negative scenarios if ya ask me. It’s about knowing your limits in both strength and time I think. All of this makes it that much more challenging. Looks like everyone did well this past week. Congrats everyone!
    Agree with PBuckshot on this one! Knowing your limits is #1. I know not everyone has friends who bow hunt and/or like the low odds of Laguna but applying with someone or meeting guys while there is a major factor in shooting animals I think. I started hunting there solo and was prepared to pack out anything but soon joined forces with GBludau and a couple other guys and we helped each other each kill. Hell GBludau pulled the cart to get my buck out one year and I rode behind him lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
      Major congrats to all the successful hunters. Lanwr continues to be my nemesis and I dont know if I will be back, at least for an archery hunt. I planned to stick it out all 5 days no matter what but what happened late on the fourth day ended it for me. The big 8 I mentioned before came back out and gave me a perfect broadside opportunity at 40 yards but I choked and made a bad shot. I mean a really bad shot! The kind of shot an inexperienced rookie would make, and that's exactly how I felt. I cant stand to make a deer suffer and I was (still am) so upset about it that I didnt hunt the last day. To make it worse this makes two years in a row that I hit a good buck but couldnt make a recovery. Last year I made a good shot on a big 8 at 20 yards in the exact same location and couldnt recover him even with another tbh'r helping me track for about 3 hours. Had a friend helping me on this one too and we tracked blood for over an hour till we lost it then continued looking for blood for another hour before giving up. On a good note this was my friends first ever drawn hunt and he almost got a cow that he stalked to within 38 yards before being busted.
      Dang. Hate to hear that bro. I’m 100% that you’re not alone on this. Bow hunting is self inflicting frustration and depression man! You know that! Lol I’d personally start over and sharpen up them slinging skills. Build back up that confidence. You ain’t no quitter Johnny!

Comment

Originally posted by HogStalker View Post
        Final board less 2 bucks and Flyguy’s Nilgai. She did erase the duplicate after this photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        No unit 3 success???

Had a successful a rifle hunt in Dec '17 and several nilgai came out of unit 3. Camped next to TXOUTLAW and met TradAg who was instrumental to my success.

Great job so far guys and good luck to everyone on rest of the hunts this year.

Comment

Originally posted by HankTheTank View Post
          No unit 3 success???

Had a successful a rifle hunt in Dec '17 and several nilgai came out of unit 3. Camped next to TXOUTLAW and met TradAg who was instrumental to my success.

Great job so far guys and good luck to everyone on rest of the hunts this year.

My question is. If you’re camping and hunting 3 are you really driving all the way around and in and biking there or illegally entering from the North?

Comment

My question is. If you’re camping and hunting 3 are you really driving all the way around and in and biking there or illegally entering from the North?

great question! Man I personally love unit 3 most bit every time I’ve been back there, I’ve seen more guys entering and leaving that way than taking the long trek like I did every single time! 3.3 miles on a bike from the first gate in unit 8 to the bridge entering 3. Then another mile walk to some waterholes. Wish they would allow entrance that way bc I would focus on 3 every time but I’m sure more people would too.

Comment

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
              great question! Man I personally love unit 3 most bit every time I’ve been back there, I’ve seen more guys entering and leaving that way than taking the long trek like I did every single time! 3.3 miles on a bike from the first gate in unit 8 to the bridge entering 3. Then another mile walk to some waterholes. Wish they would allow entrance that way bc I would focus on 3 every time but I’m sure more people would too.

Props if you are. That’s a trek for sure. It’s a shame others don’t follow the rules. Speaking of rules. Make sure you tag your deer. I was under the assumption that this was like Granger or other CEO draws that I have been drawn for and that MLD permits would be issued at the check station. I was wrong.

Comment

Props if you are. That’s a trek for sure. It’s a shame others don’t follow the rules. Speaking of rules. Make sure you tag your deer. I was under the assumption that this was like Granger or other CEO draws that I have been drawn for and that MLD permits would be issued at the check station. I was wrong.

I hear ya bud. Unit 3 is fun and usually far away from most hunters. That’s why I went there each year. Yea you have to use your own tags at Laguna. I’m ok with it.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                  Agree with PBuckshot on this one! Knowing your limits is #1. I know not everyone has friends who bow hunt and/or like the low odds of Laguna but applying with someone or meeting guys while there is a major factor in shooting animals I think. I started hunting there solo and was prepared to pack out anything but soon joined forces with GBludau and a couple other guys and we helped each other each kill. Hell GBludau pulled the cart to get my buck out one year and I rode behind him lol!
                  Agree!
                  100% know your limitations and strength/stamin!/ ability to retrieve effectively.

Once you kill an animal, time waiting before beginning a track, time to recover, time to pack out, all the way to getting your game from field to cooler, TAKES HOURS! HOURS!

If you're going solo and deep, you're also crazy. I'd recommend anyone solo to make friends fast. Many in the TBH community will offer to help I've experienced.

I hope they never allow additonal helpers to go with permitted hunters. That'll double the amount of people, everyone will have their "camera man/helper" following them around.

Youth, special needs or handicap I can stand behind them having a chaperone or helper.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=HogStalker;16007871]My question is. If you’re camping and hunting 3 are you really driving all the way around and in and biking there or illegally entering from the North?

I pity the hunter that gets caught coming into the Unit 3 from the north. Those federal game wardens do not play around! Citation for sure maybe kicked off the hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                      Txfire409 don't feel alone in this. I made a bad shot on the last day too. I could not recover the animal either. I was expecting to see you there on ghe last day. It was a busy morning. I got busted three times.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
                      I 100% would have been there on the last day if not for the events of the evening before. Regardless, it was great to finally meet you in person and I hope we cross paths again someday.

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                        Dang. Hate to hear that bro. I’m 100% that you’re not alone on this. Bow hunting is self inflicting frustration and depression man! You know that! Lol I’d personally start over and sharpen up them slinging skills. Build back up that confidence. You ain’t no quitter Johnny!
                        Thanks for the uplifting words brother. It means alot.

Comment

I 100% would have been there on the last day if not for the events of the evening before. Regardless, it was great to finally meet you in person and I hope we cross paths again someday.

Don’t sweat it. Gators and yotes gotta eat. Happens to all of us. Keep trying

Comment

Thanks for the uplifting words brother. It means alot.
                            @Txfire409

It's some of the worst emotions an outdoorsman can have as you know. To work so hard for so long and put so much time, effort and heart into it. Get the opportunity and then it not pan out the way we all dream. It's sucks. Anyone who says they've never experienced that either doesn't bow hunt, hasn't bow hunted very long or is full of shyt.

Things can go smooth or hectic once that game comes within range. Sure, we all look back at what we could have done differently or what if's....it's all part of the game and continued learning. That comes from experience and time spent in the woods.

I'll admit:

I believe this is my 19th, or 20th year bow hunting. It happened to me twice this year on 2 trophies. A 5x5 bull elk(40yds clean pass through, blood soaked arrow) and about a 20" wide 10pt with like 10" brows I was targeting. It's been several years since I've experienced that and you know what? I know it won't be the last, unless I quit bow hunting and that isn't happening. It happens, to everyone. Hell! I even clean missed 2 other giants.[emoji28] I'm not ashamed, it happens! I don't claim to be a badarse archer(I think I'm good, but different things happen for each animal). I know how to find/locate, set up and get in close. Sometimes, I just freak out when they get close![emoji1787] Like, ALLBE****, IT WORKED! That moment is the peak for me. And when that stops happening....I'll probably do something else.

Any advice, I could give would be to play scenarios out mentally while practicing at home and in your set up(use your imagination and see), slow things down(if you can), or set up for better "chip shots". Nonetheless, always keep huntin brother! You'll get it done there, and it'll be sweeter than ever.

Comment

And before any no-name-non-killing hater says it.

Hard to take advice from someone who sucked it up so bad![emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Yep![emoji106] I can see that too!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                                @Txfire409

It's some of the worst emotions an outdoorsman can have as you know. To work so hard for so long and put so much time, effort and heart into it. Get the opportunity and then it not pan out the way we all dream. It's sucks. Anyone who says they've never experienced that either doesn't bow hunt, hasn't bow hunted very long or is full of shyt.

Things can go smooth or hectic once that game comes within range. Sure, we all look back at what we could have done differently or what if's....it's all part of the game and continued learning. That comes from experience and time spent in the woods.

I'll admit:

I believe this is my 19th, or 20th year bow hunting. It happened to me twice this year on 2 trophies. A 5x5 bull elk(40yds clean pass through, blood soaked arrow) and about a 20" wide 10pt with like 10" brows I was targeting. It's been several years since I've experienced that and you know what? I know it won't be the last, unless I quit bow hunting and that isn't happening. It happens, to everyone. Hell! I even clean missed 2 other giants.[emoji28] I'm not ashamed, it happens! I don't claim to be a badarse archer(I think I'm good, but different things happen for each animal). I know how to find/locate, set up and get in close. Sometimes, I just freak out when they get close![emoji1787] Like, ALLBE****, IT WORKED! That moment is the peak for me. And when that stops happening....I'll probably do something else.

Any advice, I could give would be to play scenarios out mentally while practicing at home and in your set up(use your imagination and see), slow things down(if you can), or set up for better "chip shots". Nonetheless, always keep huntin brother! You'll get it done there, and it'll be sweeter than ever.

Thanks to you too for the kind words. I am not a quitter, never have been and never will be and I dont mean to sound like a little ***** about this. I'll get past it and some day conquer the mighty lanwr. Watch and see!

Comment

Working...
                                X