No announcement yet.

Bahia Grande

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything I wear or carry except underwear, socks, gloves, and the inside of my hat and facemask, are treated with Permethrin two weeks before I hunt in South Texas. That includes my backpack, snake gaiters, and boots. The clothing gets the soaking treatment, the non-soakable stuff gets the spray treatment. Ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes cannot survive touching Permethrin treated things -- it is a major nerve toxin to them. But not to humans. I then apply Picaridin cream to any exposed skin in the morning before leaving for the day's hunt, and I use a Thermocell when I'm still-hunting. I did not get bothered by a single bug of any kind -- they wouldn't dare. Better living through chemistry, I say. Others I spoke to got ticks, and ticks carry all kinds of awful diseases.

Comment

There’s no way in hell I would carry a decoy on public land where I did not know the other hunters. We will be there for muzzleloader in a couple of weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
        There’s no way in hell I would carry a decoy on public land where I did not know the other hunters. We will be there for muzzleloader in a couple of weeks
        [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Trip Summary - Archery February 12-14, 2021

Cold, Wet, Windy, Challenging, Exciting, Unforgettable.

These are just a few ways in which I would describe the Feb 12-14, 2021 archery hunt on Bahia Grande. I could write a lengthy blog about the entire ordeal but will try to focus on the important notes in this post.

I do not know a whole lot about nilgai, other than what I have been able to read, learn from this forum and hear from friends that hunt them on private lands. I knew this hunt would be a difficult based off what you guys shared from your experience the previous week and simply because it was my first time to hunt them.

Nilgai hunting is challenge, more so with a bow. Throw in the extreme weather conditions and, at times, it seemed impossible. Several of us hunters were doubting ourselves and decisions. I had to keep reminding myself that this draw was a privilege that few get to experience, and I need to make the most of the weekend.

The winds were unrelenting all weekend. It didn’t feel like they ever got below 20 mph and sometimes they were gusting likely close to 30mph, not optimal conditions for archery hunting. I did not mind the mist. I absolutely enjoyed the fog (cover). I hated the wind and the rain. The temperatures never got above low 40’s and the wind chill coming off the water was no joke.

I spent time prior to the hunt scouting on Google Earth and much of what I saw held true upon arrival on the designated scout day. I made my plans for the next day, focusing on two areas with decent cover. There is nilgai sign all over this unit. What has been said in the past holds true – the unit is infested with these critters, or at least that is the way it seems based of sign. Tracks, trails, dung piles and bite marks (cactus) are everywhere.

I did not take a tripod or ground blind and was glad not to have to mess with that. I do see how a ground blind would be beneficial but there are also several areas in which you have enough natural cover. I found one area that could accommodate a 10-foot tripod, maybe.

It rained for a great deal on Friday and the onset of cold weather kept the nilgai hunkered down for the most part. I saw 2 cows and a calf in the morning before shooting time. Other fellas saw a couple of bulls on separate occasions, but they were either too far off, on the wrong side of wind or out in the open with no ability to stalk. I think Friday was a bust for everybody. I’d love to hear if someone connected on this day.

I was able to connect with a bull on Saturday morning. I was giving up, heading back to the car when I jumped him. He spotted me first thing in the morning and bolted. I spent the next 1.5hrs working my way in the direction he ran, and with no real tactical plan, worked my way 90 degrees to my left and then circled back around to the point to where I made my turn. My path looked like the number 9. Anyways, upon returning to my spot where I initially turned, I spotted the bull and then he spotted me. He ran briefly and stopped for a couple of seconds at what I thought was close to 60 yds (He was likely closer to 50 yds but I never had time to range). I was already drawn when he stopped, and I let it fly. I heard the smack. The bull didn’t flinch and bolted, eventually turning 90 degrees about 150 yards from our meeting point. I ran to that point and could clearly see his trail where he ran through the tall wet grass. The tops of the brush and grass were painted red. I followed a solid blood trail for just under ½ mile, closer to 3/10s as the crow flies.

I stopped when I heard a bull grunting, thinking it was the one I shot. I was going to wait him out and let him lay down. After 30 minutes of periodic grunting, which seemed to be moving, I snuck up in the direction of the noise. I see a bull at 30 yards and it’s not the one that I had previously encountered. We watch each other for a few seconds and then he trots off. Directly behind him about 40 yards is a large gray blue mass with an arrow sticking out of his side.

My shot went high (my fault) and way back because, in the moment, I forgot to compensate for the wind. Regardless, there was some divine intervention as the broadhead went through the artery under the spine.
          It took me from 9:45 am to 3:30 pm to get him cleaned and packed back to my vehicle, which fortunately was only a ½ mile away. Those were some heavy pack outs (backpack). I’ve invested in some quality hunting gear for mountain backpack hunting over the years. That gear finally paid off this weekend 😊

I think the muzzleloader and shotgun hunters are going to cleanup this weekend. When the conditions are not arctic-like, I’d suspect you will see plenty of critters out in the open and you’ll have plenty of opportunities.
          Huge shoutout to the Federal Wildlife Officers out there. They are some cool dudes that go out of their way to help hunters. I doubt they will see this but thank you Brandon, Will and Ryan. I appreciate you. When I was leaving on Saturday, Brandon mentioned he thought a couple of guys connected with cows. I am not sure if anything else was taken.

Sorry for this long post but believe me it could be so much longer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nilgai Bull Feb 13 2021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	24644727
          Last edited by csbonn; 02-15-2021, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by csbonn View Post
            Cold, Wet, Windy, Challenging, Exciting, Unforgettable.

These are just a few ways in which I would describe the Feb 12-14, 2021 archery hunt on Bahia Grande. I could write a lengthy blog about the entire ordeal but will try to focus on the important notes in this post.

I do not know a whole lot about nilgai, other than what I have been able to read, learn from this forum and hear from friends that hunt them on private lands. I knew this hunt would be a difficult based off what you guys shared from your experience the previous week and simply because it was my first time to hunt them.

Nilgai hunting is challenge, more so with a bow. Throw in the extreme weather conditions and, at times, it seemed impossible. Several of us hunters were doubting ourselves and decisions. I had to keep reminding myself that this draw was a privilege that few get to experience, and I need to make the most of the weekend.

The winds were unrelenting all weekend. It didn’t feel like they ever got below 20 mph and sometimes they were gusting likely close to 30mph, not optimal conditions for archery hunting. I did not mind the mist. I absolutely enjoyed the fog (cover). I hated the wind and the rain. The temperatures never got above low 40’s and the wind chill coming off the water was no joke.

I spent time prior to the hunt scouting on Google Earth and much of what I saw held true upon arrival on the designated scout day. I made my plans for the next day, focusing on two areas with decent cover. There is nilgai sign all over this unit. What has been said in the past holds true – the unit is infested with these critters, or at least that is the way it seems based of sign. Tracks, trails, dung piles and bite marks (cactus) are everywhere.

I did not take a tripod or ground blind and was glad not to have to mess with that. I do see how a ground blind would be beneficial but there are also several areas in which you have enough natural cover. I found one area that could accommodate a 10-foot tripod, maybe.

It rained for a great deal on Friday and the onset of cold weather kept the nilgai hunkered down for the most part. I saw 2 cows and a calf in the morning before shooting time. Other fellas saw a couple of bulls on separate occasions, but they were either too far off, on the wrong side of wind or out in the open with no ability to stalk. I think Friday was a bust for everybody. I’d love to hear if someone connected on this day.

I was able to connect with a bull on Saturday morning. I was giving up, heading back to the car when I jumped him. He spotted me first thing in the morning and bolted. I spent the next 1.5hrs working my way in the direction he ran, and with no real tactical plan, worked my way 90 degrees to my left and then circled back around to the point to where I made my turn. My path looked like the number 9. Anyways, upon returning to my spot where I initially turned, I spotted the bull and then he spotted me. He ran briefly and stopped for a couple of seconds at what I thought was close to 60 yds (He was likely closer to 50 yds but I never had time to range). I was already drawn when he stopped, and I let it fly. I heard the smack. The bull didn’t flinch and bolted, eventually turning 90 degrees about 150 yards from our meeting point. I ran to that point and could clearly see his trail where he ran through the tall wet grass. The tops of the brush and grass were painted red. I followed a solid blood trail for just under ½ mile, closer to 3/10s as the crow flies.

I stopped when I heard a bull grunting, thinking it was the one I shot. I was going to wait him out and let him lay down. After 30 minutes of periodic grunting, which seemed to be moving, I snuck up in the direction of the noise. I see a bull at 30 yards and it’s not the one that I had previously encountered. We watch each other for a few seconds and then he trots off. Directly behind him about 40 yards is a large gray blue mass with an arrow sticking out of his side.

My shot went high (my fault) and way back because, in the moment, I forgot to compensate for the wind. Regardless, there was some divine intervention as the broadhead went through the artery under the spine.

It took me from 9:45 am to 3:30 pm to get him cleaned and packed back to my vehicle, which fortunately was only a ½ mile away. Those were some heavy pack outs (backpack). I’ve invested in some quality hunting gear for mountain backpack hunting over the years. That gear finally paid off this weekend [emoji4]

I think the muzzleloader and shotgun hunters are going to cleanup this weekend. When the conditions are not arctic-like, I’d suspect you will see plenty of critters out in the open and you’ll have plenty of opportunities.

Huge shoutout to the Federal Wildlife Officers out there. They are some cool dudes that go out of their way to help hunters. I doubt they will see this but thank you Brandon, Will and Ryan. I appreciate you. When I was leaving on Saturday, Brandon mentioned he thought a couple of guys connected with cows. I am not sure if anything else was taken.

Sorry for this long post but believe me it could be so much longer.

[ATTACH]1040696[/ATTACH]
            Congratulations! You have overcome some major obstacles. Specially in weather like this.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
              Congratulations! You have overcome some major obstacles. Specially in weather like this.

Thank you. I learned a lot from posts by you and ppeeks59. Much obliged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats!! Our group will be up there in two weeks for the muzzleloader hunt.

Comment

Good work

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Nice work. I was drawn for this weekend's hunt. Was pumped, until this weather hit. Cancelled plans to go down. It's a 10 hour trip in perfect weather. Not risking it. Sucks. Will probably be the only chance I'll ever have to hunt Nilgai.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                        Nice work. I was drawn for this weekend's hunt. Was pumped, until this weather hit. Cancelled plans to go down. It's a 10 hour trip in perfect weather. Not risking it. Sucks. Will probably be the only chance I'll ever have to hunt Nilgai.

Sorry to hear this. I think it is worth a follow up with TPWD to see if folks that have been affected by this storm can keep their accumulated points. These certainly is justification here...

Comment

When did y'all receive the email leading up to the hunt? I expect it to come in the Tuesday/Wednesday before.

Comment

Originally posted by csbonn View Post
                            Sorry to hear this. I think it is worth a follow up with TPWD to see if folks that have been affected by this storm can keep their accumulated points. These certainly is justification here...

Good idea. Worth a shot.

Edit: Shot em an email. I'm sure I'm SOL, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
                            Last edited by Graysonhogs; 02-16-2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Congrats. Hope to draw this tag in the future. Low 40s is about what my house is right now with the power on and off. Sounds like they didn't want to expend we much energy in this cold weather. That's probably a plus once you found them. Way to be persistent.

Comment

Congrats csbonn. Hell of a feat.

Comment

Working...
                                X