X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice story

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
      Too bad there aren’t standby slots for this hunt.

Yeah, it would just about have to be someone who lived in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
        Too bad there aren’t standby slots for this hunt.

I was hoping they’d make some kind of modification to this hunt, but I’m doubtful. Cold probably killed more Nilgai than the hunters would have

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
          Yeah, it would just about have to be someone who lived in the area.

If they had standby openings, I would be all over that. I am 20 minutes away.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

well done, CSBonn. you mind sharing what your total arrow weight was?

Comment

Big congrats, csbonn! Hats off to you, I'd say beginners luck, but I know thats not the case especially with the brutal weather conditions and can tell from your write up, you put on the work! Way to do it. I'd say you achieved one of the rarest accomplishments as a bowhunter. Very nice bull! Enjoy your meals![emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigLou View Post
                well done, CSBonn. you mind sharing what your total arrow weight was?

I run pretty light, right at 460. The arrow nicked the vertebrae and penetrated the backside but didn’t pass all the way through. You’d definitely want to go higher if have to punch through bone. I had a good angle on him, felt confident about the shot and wasn’t concerned with the front quarter. The wind had other ideas [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                  Big congrats, csbonn! Hats off to you, I'd say beginners luck, but I know thats not the case especially with the brutal weather conditions and can tell from your write up, you put on the work! Way to do it. I'd say you achieved one of the rarest accomplishments as a bowhunter. Very nice bull! Enjoy your meals![emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thank you sir! I’ll take beginners luck because there was definitely some intervention here. I mean, I worked my tail off to find them but the shot hitting the way it did was not my intention but it couldn’t have worked out better.

I love Nilgai meat and we are looking forward to many months of fine eating!

Comment

Sorry I'm late to the party guys. I'm currently out in the unit hunting this weekend. Yesterday wiped me. I post a longer version later.
                    There is maybe 7-9 other guys here total this weekend. Lots of people couldn't make it apparently. Heard of 1 bull taken yesterday and a calf. Only heard about 1 cow today, but that was a few hours ago.

This place is not easy and a bit frustrating. You can see Nilgai, but you are often too far away. Hard to close the gap as they're learning about the orange color.

Csbonn, where did you land your bull? I've been all over for the past 2 days and today. Seen only 2 bulls

Comment

Originally posted by AHunter View Post
                      ...... ? I've been all over for the past 2 days and today. Seen only 2 bulls
                      Maybe you are moving too much. In that place they can see you LONG before you see them, and they're gone before you will ever know that they are there.

As was said before the first hunt: study the place, find a likely spot with great visibility over distance (which is, like, EVERYWHERE there) where you can hide and move from when necessary -- hopefully without being seen -- and hunt it hard.

Good luck tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks!

I was definitely over eager on the first day and moved around too much. An old man and his grandson took a bull within the first hour by dumb luck. We were shooting the breeze as I passed by to go to a spot. He saw the bull through my windshield, took 2 steps, and fired. Dropped the beast right where it stood. Unbelievable. I helped for a bit, but he called the ranger and sent me on my way. Rangers are so awesome down here. They will help or even dress your nilgai for you from what I've seen.
                        So after that I was excited and bounced around too much. Saw about 20-25 that day. Had a chance on a bull as he was crossing a field. Fired a shot and saw him disappear into the brush only to appear again 15 yards closer to me. Couldn't get a second shot off before he disappeared again. Tracked him for almost an hour. No blood anywhere and never saw him again. A clean miss I believe. Didn't feel great about the shot and no evidence to show I made contact. All in all exciting first day, but I was wiped and learned a few lessons. 1 bull, 1 calf, and 1 cow taken.

Second day I was more stationary. Found a spot I liked, but didn't see anything for the first half of the day. Moved a little further in the unit. Like other have reported, things really open up further in. I was able to spot a few nilgai cows. Had a mostly successful stalk for about 300 yards with another 400 to go. Bumped a stray cow away from the group as I peaked over a dune. Spotted me instantly and we stared at each other for a bit. She bolted right as I reach for my rifle and got the group running too. Bad luck. Had another instance not as long of a stalk, but it was 2 whitetail does 50 yards in front of me. The nilgai were about another 75 to 100 further and behind some yukka. The does scampered off and drew the attention of the nilgai. Unlucky again. Saw about 20ish that day. As I was driving in I saw the old man and his grandson with another bull down. Assisted again and felt super happy for the kid (his shot) and very jealous at the same time. Grandpa said it was dump luck again, but their strategy was similar to mine that day. Stalk in some yukka, watch an open field, and wait for a while. A bull just happened to come running their way. Heard of 2 other nilgai taken that day. So 6 total after 2 days

Out in the field hoping my luck has changed today. I'll report back later

Comment

Not sure where the south east boundary is but we saw a couple of bulls late yesterday driving from Brownsville to SPI. Couldn’t tell you if they were on refuge or private though.

Good luck on your last day!

Comment

Keep the updates coming and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by AHunter View Post
                              Sorry I'm late to the party guys. I'm currently out in the unit hunting this weekend. Yesterday wiped me. I post a longer version later.
                              There is maybe 7-9 other guys here total this weekend. Lots of people couldn't make it apparently. Heard of 1 bull taken yesterday and a calf. Only heard about 1 cow today, but that was a few hours ago.

This place is not easy and a bit frustrating. You can see Nilgai, but you are often too far away. Hard to close the gap as they're learning about the orange color.

Csbonn, where did you land your bull? I've been all over for the past 2 days and today. Seen only 2 bulls

Sorry I missed this. I got my bull on the front end, before the 2nd bridge.

Comment

How many hunters showed up for this hunt?

Comment

Working...
                                X