Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on The Big Pig

Comment

We got our two doe and hunting till 10ish for a management buck.

I counted 18 deer this morning, 9 bucks including 4 legal deer for the either sex hunt and big boy. I have about 10 minutes of video of him at 200 yards. Earlier he was at 3-350 and lowering the boom on anything that wouldn't turn around at a mere glance. A 4 year 10 gave him a wide berth when he simply a slicked his ears back and postured sideways. The best action was prior to 8 with the rising sun in my face. One of the most memorable hunting experiences I've had; cold and clear but no way to video that far into the sun.

Even without killing a management buck, this has been one of the better state hunts I've been on. Its my 3rd trip to the Daughtry. First was a doe and spike where we limited on deer, javi, 3 yotes and 2 hogs. Next was a bow hunt where I passed a low 130 9 hoping for a biggun. No regrets on that one. Killed a doe and hog.

This place has been good to us no doubt. Id give my left oyster to be on the trophy hunt in January.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201202-134007_Gallery.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	24638495

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Slick8; 12-03-2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
        We got our two doe and hunting till 10ish for a management buck.

I counted 18 deer this morning, 9 bucks including 4 legal deer for the either sex hunt and big boy. I have about 10 minutes of video of him at 200 yards. Earlier he was at 3-350 and lowering the boom on anything that wouldn't turn around at a mere glance. A 4 year 10 gave him a wide berth when he simply a slicked his ears back and postured sideways. The best action was prior to 8 with the rising sun in my face. One of the most memorable hunting experiences I've had; cold and clear but no way to video that far into the sun.

Even without killing a management buck, this has been one of the better state hunts I've been on. Its my 3rd trip to the Daughtry. First was a doe and spike where we limited on deer, javi, 3 yotes and 2 hogs. Next was a bow hunt where I passed a low 130 9 hoping for a biggun. No regrets on that one. Killed a doe and hog.

This place has been good to us no doubt. Id give my left oyster to be on the trophy hunt in January.

[ATTACH]1030612[/ATTACH]

Very nice hunt and thanks for sharing. I'll be out there next week. I can only hope to see that action you did.

Comment

Been looking forward to the Dec 8-10 management hunt for months, and then I won myself a 14-day quarantine starting yesterday. I have my mom and stepdad to thank for that, since they just “had to go out for their sanity.” Stepdad is positive 5 days later after I’ve been around him every day. You boys have fun while i sit around and whine, and hopefully don’t get sick myself. My stepdad seems to be doing well so far at least.

Comment

Congrats on the great hunt and even better experience. Daughtrey is indeed a special place.

You may want to hold on to that left oyster, though. The January buck hunt at Daughtrey is notoriously challenging. The deer have been pressured, the rut is winding down quickly and as a result the bucks become increasingly nocturnal.

More bucks die of old age out there annually compared to the number brought in during the GDE hunt.

Comment

Sounds like a good time!! Some dang good ones at Daughtrey.

Comment

Does anyone know when they will send out the emails with the compartments? Also how is the cell service down there?

Comment

Originally posted by Encore View Post
                  Does anyone know when they will send out the emails with the compartments? Also how is the cell service down there?
                  Great question!! Haven’t received mine from Sam either. 🤷🏻*♂️

Comment

Not sure about emails. Sam said he tried on our hunt but a slow response killed it. That could have been holiday related.

Comment

I agree. Ive been on late season hunts and noticed the deer activity is never is good. Ive been on the February Javi hunt at the chap and barely seen a deer. These two places are definitely hunted hard with lots of activity.

I believe I benefited from my compartment being hunted and corned heavily in November. Those deer came to road corn like they knew it was there.

Comment

I'm in 5 and have been covered up in deer, 18-22 different deer per sit. Ive seen 14 different racked bucks, 5 of which would be legal on the trophy hunt and 2 deer that were very marginal for management deer.

Dad is hunting near you guys on the first blind when you enter 5. He had a brief opportunity at a really big 6 this morning but couldn't get a shot off with other deer around him before he left town.

Holding out hope for the morning for a management buck.

Best of luck to you guys in the morning.

Had a case of tight pants watching this guy for 45 minutes this morning.[ATTACH]1030578[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1030579[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1030580[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1030581[/ATTACH]

What a donkey

Comment

This is management hunt. I had to sit and watch tbis dude at 300 yards posing broadside for 45 minutes. It was a lot to ask of a man...

I was on an Antlerless hunt last year at Perdanales and a couple of bruisers came wandering through. They stayed around for a while. They were within thirty yards of the blind. My BIL and I just watched. They didn't even spook at the doe I already had on the ground.

Comment

We had to cancel our slots on 12/15 hunt because of some slow recovery/medical complication on my part from Covid. So there are a couple of standbys available now.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                              We had to cancel our slots on 12/15 hunt because of some slow recovery/medical complication on my part from Covid. So there are a couple of standbys available now.
                              Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon!

Comment

I got the compartment maps at 1201 this morning. We pick 6th.

Comment

Working...
                                X