No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know the condition of the roads in 1-8. I've got a F150 super crew with street tires and feel like it might not be up to the task.

Comment

Anybody been in unit 2 over the first couple weekends?

Comment

Anyone go on this past weekends hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
          I'll let you know how it goes!
          How was unit 1-14?

Comment

Anyone going to be out there this weekend?

Comment

I wil be out there in Unit 1-3. Taking my daughter with me as my non-hunting guest. She thinks she might be interested in hunting and wants to tag along.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                Anyone going to be out there this weekend?
                Yep, I'll be in 1-8 and only hunting the afternoons. I think I'm just going to find a high spot and glass. Letting the 6.5 Creedmore do the walking.

Comment

Good luck Gents! I'll be out there on the 11th-13th hunt. That's the last one. Hopefully there's something left for me. I'll be on Unit 2. It's assigned blind so not really any scouting needed but I'm going to come out on the 10th anyhow just to get my bearings about me and get a good feel for the place. I haven't seen a whole lot of reports from my unit but the few I have seen have been good! Seems like animals are seen on all of the reports I've read.

Keep us posted on y'alls hunts!

Comment

Just going to say 1-8 requires better traction and four wheel drive. Not sure I want to take another chance going down that road. As far as hunting, zero action...zero anything. Didn't hear one gun shot or even any sign of life. I'm thinking this was a lessons learned and a waste of preference points.

Comment

I am seeing some post saying it was slow. I posted last year and this year again saying I would not be applying for that hunt anymore. Truly very little to be gained from that experience. Views were nice, but that was about it.

Comment

Balcones Canyonlands NWR

I am in 1-3 and it is thick in the area I have to park. Found a little draw with intersecting trails and set up my popup, but no deer or hogs in 2 sits. Just moved blind to another area I found while scouting.

Place I set up on yesterday and this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sucks guys! I think all the deer must be waiting for me in unit 2 for next weekend. But seriously, sorry y'all have had a slow hunt. I'm still going to make the most of it. My plan is to sit all day every day.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmartin View Post
                            I am seeing some post saying it was slow. I posted last year and this year again saying I would not be applying for that hunt anymore. Truly very little to be gained from that experience. Views were nice, but that was about it.
                            Truthfully, this could be like any other US gov property. Just open it up as a $75 a year permit hunt. Just like the grass lands and Sam Houston. I'm sure there are some decent deer back in there, you just need more time and the ability to bait to see them.

Comment

I know people are always asking the question “why can’t we use corn on National Refuges in Texas”. Above is the reason why. There is a Federal statute which strictly prohibits baiting on National Refuges except in Alaska. Technically if the Refuge Mgr allowed baiting at Balcones, he would be breaking Federal law. Don’t agree with it but it’s the law.

Now you may ask why is it OK in Alaska. Don’t know the reason but assume they had State representation which fought to get them exempt from the baiting prohibition at the time this regulation was codified.

Comment

Well, we went all weekend without seeing any deer or hogs. Sat up on 2 areas with intersecting trails and lots of fresh sign, but deer did a great job of social distancing. Despite, not seeing anything, I still had a good time and will put in for hunt again. Roads are a little rough in some areas of Unit 1-3, especially where my assigned parking was in 1-3G, but most of the unit had great primary roads.

Second area I set up the popup.

Comment

Working...
                                X