• Show
Clear All

Way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

AwesoMe. I’m pumped to go In February

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hey awesome WhalerBoy I heard you shoot! I'm about to head back to Houston after this morning hunt. All I saw today was a small doe and a decent 8 on the way out. I will post a full review for other future hunters in the next day or 2.

Comment

For the ones who have gone in the rifle hunt I have a question maybe you can help me with. Are you using 1 rifle to shoot both nilgai and deer or carrying 2 rifles for deer and nilgai? I have been setting up my bike and cart and my backpack has a rifle sling that I can put one rifle 7mag(nilgai) and I can carry my 30-30 or 243,270,30-06 for deer I see that maybe some close calls can happen on either deer or nilgai but if a good shot presents itself <200yds will one rifle be sufficient? I don’t want to be under gunned but don’t want to be held down because of weight either I’m packing minimal for my sits and think ive got it covered just the rifle part lol

Comment

Originally posted by Zjesse22 View Post
            For the ones who have gone in the rifle hunt I have a question maybe you can help me with. Are you using 1 rifle to shoot both nilgai and deer or carrying 2 rifles for deer and nilgai? I have been setting up my bike and cart and my backpack has a rifle sling that I can put one rifle 7mag(nilgai) and I can carry my 30-30 or 243,270,30-06 for deer I see that maybe some close calls can happen on either deer or nilgai but if a good shot presents itself <200yds will one rifle be sufficient? I don’t want to be under gunned but don’t want to be held down because of weight either I’m packing minimal for my sits and think ive got it covered just the rifle part lol
            You want to minimize the weight as much as you can. One rifle is all you need. The larger caliber you have that delivers excellent knock down power the better. I hunt Nilgai & and/or deer with a 300 Winchester Magnum down here. I have killed plenty with a 7mm but would not go much lower than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
              You want to minimize the weight as much as you can. One rifle is all you need. The larger caliber you have that delivers excellent knock down power the better. I hunt Nilgai & and/or deer with a 300 Winchester Magnum down here. I have killed plenty with a 7mm but would not go much lower than that.

I agree with this

Comment

Two rifles? That's a lot of stuff to be caring around!

Comment

Saturday was an exciting and exhausting day. Shooting the nilgai bull was a great feeing, but then the work of field dressing and quartering had to begin. I was hunting solo so it was a race against the rising temperatures to get the meat into the coolers 2.5 miles or so away, and try not to die of exhaustion in the process. Hey, at my age, it’s a possibility. Skinned (massacred) the left side and put the meat into game bags. Flipped the bull over (I really need to go back to the gym) and hurried to get the bike and cart from the access road. Rode and pushed and huffed and puffed thru the tall grass and brush, put half the bull’s meat on the baby carrier, and started the process of riding and pushing back onto the road. The father and son team I had spoken with earlier on my way in had heard the shot. They may have been the only other hunters on that unit by that time. When they saw me coming back out, they kindly, and thankfully, offered to help. I quickly accepted. They helped push the bike and cart onto the road and watched the kill and my stuff while I raced to the highway, dropped off the meat in the coolers, and back at it again. Once back, the father grabbed one of my knives and helped me finish the job. Had it not been for there very much appreciated help, I don’t know that I would’ve had the energy to finish the job.
                  Attached Files

Comment

One rifle is all you need. You want to travel as light as possible. Any of those calibers will kill a nilgai. Personally, I would take the 30-06

Comment

I’m leaning towards the 7mag just for the extra reach in shot distance but feel the most comfortable with my .243, I have taken nilgai with my 243 using hornady whitetail 100btsp interlock but haven’t been able to find anything of that ammo and I’m hesitant to use anything else since ammo is scarce for it

Comment

Thats a great looking bull Whalerboy67! Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
                          Saturday was an exciting and exhausting day. Shooting the nilgai bull was a great feeing, but then the work of field dressing and quartering had to begin. I was hunting solo so it was a race against the rising temperatures to get the meat into the coolers 2.5 miles or so away, and try not to die of exhaustion in the process. Hey, at my age, it’s a possibility. Skinned (massacred) the left side and put the meat into game bags. Flipped the bull over (I really need to go back to the gym) and hurried to get the bike and cart from the access road. Rode and pushed and huffed and puffed thru the tall grass and brush, put half the bull’s meat on the baby carrier, and started the process of riding and pushing back onto the road. The father and son team I had spoken with earlier on my way in had heard the shot. They may have been the only other hunters on that unit by that time. When they saw me coming back out, they kindly, and thankfully, offered to help. I quickly accepted. They helped push the bike and cart onto the road and watched the kill and my stuff while I raced to the highway, dropped off the meat in the coolers, and back at it again. Once back, the father grabbed one of my knives and helped me finish the job. Had it not been for there very much appreciated help, I don’t know that I would’ve had the energy to finish the job.

Massive indeed and you’re not lying about all the work involved once they are down. Help is always appreciated.
                          Good job, great trophy

Comment

Originally posted by Whalerboy67 View Post

I'm guessing pulling the cart over all of those salt grass bushes did not help much either. They might as well be boulders. That's an awesome bull.

Comment

Congrats whaleboy. Awesome bull

Comment

Definitely one rifle. Any of those you mentioned will work on both, but I’d probably lean away from the 243.

Comment

Working...
                                X