No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alligator hunts are starting next year, seems like it might be a decent time to scout depending on how they are formatted / if your lucky enough to get drawn[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Where do all the alligators live out there? I’ve been down there 3 times but I’ve never laid eyes on one...

Comment

So I did not want to post until the hunt was close. My brother, dad and myself drew 3 (6 years of trying) of the rifle tags for the upcoming 18th-20th hunt and I am going to try and report everything I can here and do a write up after I get back. I am just trying to get everything together and get through one more day of work before we head out. My last name starts with a G so we will be the G-Team. Hope to meet any other fellow members out there and just have a good time no matter what we shoot. I have always wanted to see an Ocelot and this is my first trip to the reserve so I have my fingers crossed even though I know its a long shot. I have a pretty good idea of where I want to go but if anyone wants to PM anything interesting I would be happy to listen. I want to thank everyone who has already posted here as it has been a wealth of info and I would have been ill prepared without ya'lls help.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
          Where do all the alligators live out there? I’ve been down there 3 times but I’ve never laid eyes on one...

I saw a big one a few years ago in a tank on the ranch east of the road. Never seen one on public though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw one with her babies heading through West Lake Rd in unit 2. I heard one growing near Hormiga Tank Rd in unit one. I've seen a couple floating on top of the water in the big laguna in the middle of the refuge. They're out there.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicket Luke View Post
              So I did not want to post until the hunt was close. My brother, dad and myself drew 3 (6 years of trying) of the rifle tags for the upcoming 18th-20th hunt and I am going to try and report everything I can here and do a write up after I get back. I am just trying to get everything together and get through one more day of work before we head out. My last name starts with a G so we will be the G-Team. Hope to meet any other fellow members out there and just have a good time no matter what we shoot. I have always wanted to see an Ocelot and this is my first trip to the reserve so I have my fingers crossed even though I know its a long shot. I have a pretty good idea of where I want to go but if anyone wants to PM anything interesting I would be happy to listen. I want to thank everyone who has already posted here as it has been a wealth of info and I would have been ill prepared without ya'lls help.
              good luck out there. I will be there in January. Looking forward to your hunt updates.

Comment

I've seen a couple in the big laguna, I imagine that most of the hunts will take place in the water/land outside the Nilgai/Whitetail hunting area by boat.

Comment

I see them in unit 5 and unit 2.

Comment

I think I’ve see gators in every single unit, but 5. This last hunt, saw a big one in 6 and probably two or three in eight.

Be interesting how they structure the alligator hunts. I figured hunt the big laguna, but some of the staff I talked said that they probably aren’t going to want boat traffic on it. I don’t know about walking along the edge or kayaking there. Would be an experience though!

I wish they would open the laguna up to duck hunting and have drawn compartment blinds. BUT probably wouldn’t be taking my dog to hunt with me in there
                    Last edited by BigRed323; 12-15-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                      I think I’ve see gators in every single unit, but 5. This last hunt, saw a big one in 6 and probably two or three in eight.

Be interesting how they structure the alligator hunts. I figured hunt the big laguna, but some of the staff I talked said that they probably aren’t going to want boat traffic on it. I don’t know about walking along the edge or kayaking there. Would be an experience though!

I wish they would open the laguna up to duck hunting and have drawn compartment blinds. BUT probably wouldn’t be taking my dog to hunt with me in there

That place is covered up in ducks. I was kind of surprised

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post

Luckily there were a bunch! They kept me occupied during my lack of mammal sightings!!

But the place is prime waterfowl habitat especially being so close the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post

You can hunt them from boat. Just don't touch the bank.

Comment

Made it to Port Izzy! Scouting and pics coming up tomorrow. Our place we air B&B'ed is right on the water so I expect the fishing to be pretty good to, we will see. I saw a dolphin right after we got here so I take that as a good sign. I will keep ya'll posted.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicket Luke View Post
                              Made it to Port Izzy! Scouting and pics coming up tomorrow. Our place we air B&B'ed is right on the water so I expect the fishing to be pretty good to, we will see. I saw a dolphin right after we got here so I take that as a good sign. I will keep ya'll posted.

How far is your drive? We stayed at a place all the way on the island, not ideal. 45 min drive to the refuge, then 40 more to the gate and back to the last gate.

Comment

This place is amazing! Just keeps on going and going..
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X