Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shake_n_bake View Post
    If anyone scouted in the past couple weeks please give us a heads up on how wet it is down there. Many creek beds on google earth appear dry and I’m wondering if that’s the case now? Prior threads say sometimes it’s dry and sometimes you could float a tube. What have y’all seen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It can change overnight. Last year I scouted a week before the hunt. I picked a spot and was pretty confident about the spot. I show up one week later and there is two feet of water. If you don't live nearby I would say just show up and do your best.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
      Gear question for the guys who've hunted LANWR before -- do you carry and use binoculars or spotting scope? Tripod for the optic?
      I would say descent pair of binoculars on a tripod if you are rifle hunting.

If you are bowhunting just binos without the tripod.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
        It can change overnight. Last year I scouted a week before the hunt. I picked a spot and was pretty confident about the spot. I show up one week later and there is two feet of water. If you don't live nearby I would say just show up and do your best.
        Same here. I did a few scouting trips and had several spots saved on my gps last year. Then it rained before my hunt and it was just too muddy to bike or walk to most of them. Picked the one with the shorter walk thru the mud, hunted that one, and took home something for the freezer. So yes, it just depends on the weather before and during the hunt.

Comment

Ok. Just replaced inner tubes on my bike with the Slime Super Thick tubes, put in tube liners, and added extra slime for good measure. Took it for a short ride up and down the driveway and realized how out of bike-riding shape I am. You can see the slime oozing out of the old, regular slime tube , which served me well for the course of the last hunt. Maybe I’ll test them at the refuge in the afternoon.
          Attached Files

Comment

Headed down later this week. Has anyone seen any sort of communication on the new orientation, or check in/out procedures?

Comment

Originally posted by SMS View Post
              Headed down later this week. Has anyone seen any sort of communication on the new orientation, or check in/out procedures?
              I was just fixing to ask if the folks from the first hunt this Friday has heard anything. Thought maybe I missed it in a previous post.

Seems strange this close to the hunts and we haven't received something official.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                I was just fixing to ask if the folks from the first hunt this Friday has heard anything. Thought maybe I missed it in a previous post.

Seems strange this close to the hunts and we haven't received something official.
                They do have a video orientation on there website now, but its only 7 minutes long and kinda vague I think to anyone who hasn't been on a hunt here before, I think alot of the stuff I only understood because I have been through several orientations in the past

Comment

We’re drawn for 11/13-17 but have managed to pick up both third and fourth season CO deer tags so in the interest of keeping a job and a marriage I think it’ll be unlikely we can make it down to LA. Good luck to everyone, post pics early and often!!

Comment

Just called the refuge. The email with info will be going out to the hunters for the first hunt today.

Comment

Originally posted by philipolsen View Post
                      Just called the refuge. The email with info will be going out to the hunters for the first hunt today.
                      10 4. Thanks for the update! I'm ready for the weekend.

Comment

Good luck to everyone this weekend! I’m getting pumped!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
                          We’re drawn for 11/13-17 but have managed to pick up both third and fourth season CO deer tags so in the interest of keeping a job and a marriage I think it’ll be unlikely we can make it down to LA. Good luck to everyone, post pics early and often!!

I know that feeling well! I really tested the boundaries last year with 4 tags!

Comment

Originally posted by philipolsen View Post
                            Anyone get this info?
                            looks like it might be:
                            Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge Archery Hunter Orientation. Hunters, must view this video for information regarding rules and regulations on the 202...

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
                              Anyone get this info?

Nope I sure didn’t but it doesn’t surprise me with those clowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
                                Anyone get this info?
                                looks like it might be:
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA9P...ature=youtu.be
                                just watched it...

whats up with the only one stand / blind.

I was going to bring two tripods.

Comment

Working...
                                X