No announcement yet.

2020-2021 Chaparral WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You act like your some kind of professional Chap hunter or something. Have you even killed a deer there before, maybe a spike or something??[/QUOTE]

[emoji1787][emoji1787] of course.

Answer the question, Boss. Have you even killed a deer at the Chap?!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Futureagg, those are some nice bucks! I predict one of them getting arrowed! Good luck to y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
        Futureagg, those are some nice bucks! I predict one of them getting arrowed! Good luck to y'all.

Thank you! Unfortunately I’m just living through my dad on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1 buck brought in today...that i know of. I am set up in a couple tripod, one for morning sun and one for afternoon.

Wind was howling today. Huge doe and other deer came out right at dusk. A big buck amongst them.

Tomorrow should be a good day.

Comment

My dad shot a javelina right at dark. No recovery. He said a few more deer were brought in late (5 total for today)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If y’all get a chance to stick your head I’m cooler snap a pic if anything any good

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                If y’all get a chance to stick your head I’m cooler snap a pic if anything any good
                ^^WHAT HE SAID!

Comment

I will be headed there next week. Never hunted south Texas.

Will I be able to find a spot to hide a 12’ (eye level) tripod? Is it better to get in the brush or hunt the senderos?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post

Will I be able to find a spot to hide a 12’ (eye level) tripod? Is it better to get in the brush or hunt the senderos?
                    6-8' max in most areas. There are some bigger mesquites in some of the drainages and near stock tanks you could get a 12' tripod in but it really limits your options. Brush/pit blind or 6' seat height tripod. I've seen lots of guys just use a 6' step ladder with a seat bolted to it or just a cushion to sit on.

Comment

6-8' max in most areas. There are some bigger mesquites in some of the drainages and near stock tanks you could get a 12' tripod in but it really limits your options. Brush/pit blind or 6' seat height tripod. I've seen lots of guys just use a 6' step ladder with a seat bolted to it or just a cushion to sit on.
                      Thanks. Wonder how the top third of a ladder stand would work? Guess that would be in the same boat of needing a bigger mesquite to brace it on.

Comment

I usually take 3 blind options. popup(wet weather and all day sits), tools to dig a pit blind and a 6' tripod. You could probably get away with a small ladder stand if that's all you had but same thing your limiting the areas you can set up based on the tree.

Comment

That's kind of an unwritten rule you don't do without the hunters permission and IMO rude

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                            That's kind of an unwritten rule you don't do without the hunters permission and IMO rude
                            Thanks for your input...they will post on website after hunt anyway, its a public hunt, but your prob right. just verbal of whats been killed is all I'm really looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post

Kactuskiller is pretty spot on.
                              I did use a 12' tripod, and used palm leaves and palmettos that I brought to brush me in a mesquite. Arrowedna 5.5yr old 10pt from it, missed one bigger that winded me at 30yds. I take 2 small tripods now, an XOP hang on, Saddle & Platform, mainly use the platform to stand on minus the saddle and bring an cushion for sitting. If I want to be on the ground I just make it work wherever with the brush available. Versatility and mobility is important to me.

Pre baiting several hot areas can helpful with the combination of cameras.

Definitely cameras over as many scrapes as possible.[emoji106][emoji108] That's the ticket for me.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                                Kactuskiller is pretty spot on.
                                I did use a 12' tripod, and used palm leaves and palmettos that I brought to brush me in a mesquite. Arrowedna 5.5yr old 10pt from it, missed one bigger that winded me at 30yds. I take 2 small tripods now, an XOP hang on, Saddle & Platform, mainly use the platform to stand on minus the saddle and bring an cushion for sitting. If I want to be on the ground I just make it work wherever with the brush available. Versatility and mobility is important to me.

Pre baiting several hot areas can helpful with the combination of cameras.

Definitely cameras over as many scrapes as possible.[emoji106][emoji108] That's the ticket for me.

Thanks! From the pics from you hunt, looks like you were setup away from any sendero?

Comment

Working...
                                X