2020-2021 Chaparral WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
    Man I really hope they are doing the pre-selected compartments for this year only with the COVID crap. Probably just trying to avoid having to have all of the people go up to the table to select. Would be ashamed if they did it from here on out. One of the biggest thrills of going down there is the selection process.

I see that. But I will also say it allowed my dad and I to get on google earth. Select some spots. Get on TBH and receive knowledge prior to even stepping in the compartment. It allowed to anxiety and excitement of going to grow even more for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stupid question, is warthog meat any good and can they be processed. Would love to have a mount for my office wall, just don't want to shoot something and waste the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
        I see that. But I will also say it allowed my dad and I to get on google earth. Select some spots. Get on TBH and receive knowledge prior to even stepping in the compartment. It allowed to anxiety and excitement of going to grow even more for us.

This, with todays technology there's no reason all draw hunts should wait until you get there to show your whick comapartment your in, pre-selecting will increase success rates to because you can google earth scout and gather intel from others and you will have more time to hunt and you can get down there and get after it rather than was half a day in orientation like some places do. Wanting it to be the old way because its tradition just don't make sense to me. This is like people that were mad they no longer got the selected/non-selected post cards in the mail when the draw hunt went online, that was a waste of paper and money.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
          This, with todays technology there's no reason all draw hunts should wait until you get there to show your whick comapartment your in, pre-selecting will increase success rates to because you can google earth scout and gather intel from others and you will have more time to hunt and you can get down there and get after it rather than was half a day in orientation like some places do. Wanting it to be the old way because its tradition just don't make sense to me. This is like people that were mad they no longer got the selected/non-selected post cards in the mail when the draw hunt went online, that was a waste of paper and money.
          I didn't think you liked the new way online...

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post

I get the thoughts on pre-scouting a compartment, i have done it before on that hunt. In my experience all that changes once your on the ground especially out there. Nothing looks the same as a satellite map. All you need to find is drainage's. Find the drainage's in your compartment then find some trails or sendero's crossing them. You can do all that with a smart phone in about 10min once on the ground. And I have hunted Chap on Trophy hunts many times. Don't over think it, close your eyes pick an area in yur compartment and stay put. There really is no bad pastures there.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
              Picking your own pasture is half the fun of getting to hunt this place. Yes, there isn't a bad pasture on the ranch but there are preferred pastures by people that know this ranch. If they start preselecting pastures I vote they cut the baiting out again, see then who the real hunters are.

Comment

What hotel do y’all recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by STXBOWHUNTER73 View Post
                  Picking your own pasture is half the fun of getting to hunt this place. Yes, there isn't a bad pasture on the ranch but there are preferred pastures by people that know this ranch. If they start preselecting pastures I vote they cut the baiting out again, see then who the real hunters are.
                  I agree on the selecting pastures, while all have good spots some lend themselves better to certain hunting styles. But it’s not something you can find off a map.
                  You act like your some kind of professional Chap hunter or something. Have you even killed a deer there before, maybe a spike or something??

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    I didn't think you liked the new way online...
                    I don't like the odds are worse but going paperless was beyond due, the cubing points this year was a big improvement in the system IMO

Comment

I agree on the selecting pastures, while all have good spots some lend themselves better to certain hunting styles. But it’s not something you can find off a map.
                      You act like your some kind of professional Chap hunter or something. Have you even killed a deer there before, maybe a spike or something??
                      LOL nothing to see here move along. There are no big deer there.

Comment

I would like an update from the current hunters!! Cmon guys the people want to know how it’s going down there.

Comment

2020-2021 Chaparral WMA

I would like an update from the current hunters!! Cmon guys the people want to know how it’s going down there.

I can give you what I know from Compartment 5. My dad hunted yesterday evening saw a 10pt. There was one doe shot, but no recovery from someone hunting.

He moved to one of the youth stands this evening after having pictures of 7 different shooters come through yesterday evening and last night. Mornings seem to be very slow for movement. The bucks seem to be traveling and bumping does hard.

Comment

Looks like one was working a scrap line.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                              Looks like one was working a scrap line.

Corn pile

Comment

I agree on being able to select your own preferred pasture, especially having experience in several and knowledge of good spots to hunt and set up.

Also agree that satellite scouting any pasture would take mere minutes. Boots on the ground and finding hot sign is more important than weeks of knowing what pre selected pasture you're in. Also, I don't always want someone elses "wisdom" for a pasture, I like creating my own destiny and not piggy backing someone elses experiences.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X