Draw hunts / Hagerman Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
    My only argument here is that they are no longer scheduling bow hunter Ed field days. So if someone gets drawn, and hasn’t already gotten the bow hunter’s ed for a separate reason, they appear to be SOL for haggerman.

Lots of people have zero reason to have gotten it prior. In years past, there was always plenty of time to get into one of the classes and field days before the hunt.... and this is the only hunt I know of that requires it.

If they hold to their “bow hunter class or nothing” mentality this year when classes won’t have been available state wide for 5-6 months prior to the hunt date, it is a complete slap in the face to guys who have been putting in for several years with the full intention to get certified if drawn.

I work out of state 250+ days a year, if I haven’t been drawn for a certification required hunt..... I haven’t spent the day neglecting my family time in a class “just in case”.

Instead... let me show up, shoot a course, maybe take a multiple choice test showing I understand the ethics and mechanics of bowhunting.... and let me hunt the hunt I was drawn.

Especially since it may be a once in a decade hunt in the best years now that it is on the state draw board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is the first year you've been able to put in without already having BHE. The proficiency test is taken after you draw. So nobody has been putting in for years without already having taken BHE.

EDIT: After looking at the regs, the last 2 years you have been allowed to apply without already having taken BHE. I apologize.

But again, it aint that hard, and hoping you have time to get your BHE between the draw and the hunt is an awfully tall task considering you'll have just over a month to complete it.
    Last edited by JustinJ; 07-17-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
      Is the proficiency test separate from bowhunter's ed cert?
      I could be wrong, but I think you take the written part and then have to do a field/proficiency test to get you BHE cert.
      I got my BHE from Iowa online and they don't require a field test to get a certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
        I could be wrong, but I think you take the written part and then have to do a field/proficiency test to get you BHE cert.
        I got my BHE from Iowa online and they don't require a field test to get a certificate.
        BHE is a class and field day. Proficeincy is a shooting test if you get drawn

Think there no proficiency test this year

Comment

My only argument here is that they are no longer scheduling bow hunter Ed field days. So if someone gets drawn, and hasn’t already gotten the bow hunter’s ed for a separate reason, they appear to be SOL for haggerman.

Lots of people have zero reason to have gotten it prior. In years past, there was always plenty of time to get into one of the classes and field days before the hunt.... and this is the only hunt I know of that requires it.

If they hold to their “bow hunter class or nothing” mentality this year when classes won’t have been available state wide for 5-6 months prior to the hunt date, it is a complete slap in the face to guys who have been putting in for several years with the full intention to get certified if drawn.

I work out of state 250+ days a year, if I haven’t been drawn for a certification required hunt..... I haven’t spent the day neglecting my family time in a class “just in case”.

Instead... let me show up, shoot a course, maybe take a multiple choice test showing I understand the ethics and mechanics of bowhunting.... and let me hunt the hunt I was drawn.

Especially since it may be a once in a decade hunt in the best years now that it is on the state draw board.

Well said Isaac!

This may hiss off a few of the old farts that want fellow hunters to not be able to hunt because of the bowhunter education..those that argue that “the hunt is hard, but the requirements shouldn’t be”. We are in a worldwide pandemic and the state is very reluctant to offer classes in person where close contact with others is unavoidable. I agree with Ikeman and think, it would be immoral for the state to sponsor the drawing(even if its on federal land and they have different requirements than other properties) and not offer classes to accommodate the current circumstances. The argument of: “ you could have taken it years ago when we weren’t in a pandemic is weak. I had no desire to hunt the H until this year when I and many others have gotten to experience public land and get a few years of experience prior to stepping up to a more difficult property with very large, mature bucks.

Here’s a solution that will anger the old farts and those in opposition to my earlier comments:. I think 7 states allow you to take their bowhunter education course online with no field day or in person requirement. Those seven states also do not require you to be a resident of their state to take the online course. Our state will honor the completion of those other states’ bowhunter education due to reciprocity.

Happy hunting all!!!

Comment

I would be surprised if they don’t give a pass on the proficiency test do to covid pandemic shutdowns not giving equal opportunities to drawn hunters

Comment

Goodness- I repeat- per the H staff- there is no proficiency test this year for those drawn for the H.

I am one week into my surplus, one more week on the books, retiring but I still need to find employment- but I am going to try and schedule a field day course post drawing sometime in mid-September.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post

Assume, any BHE cert is accepted, regardless of state. It is a Federal refuge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                  Well said Isaac!

This may hiss off a few of the old farts that want fellow hunters to not be able to hunt because of the bowhunter education..those that argue that “the hunt is hard, but the requirements shouldn’t be”. We are in a worldwide pandemic and the state is very reluctant to offer classes in person where close contact with others is unavoidable. I agree with Ikeman and think, it would be immoral for the state to sponsor the drawing(even if its on federal land and they have different requirements than other properties) and not offer classes to accommodate the current circumstances. The argument of: “ you could have taken it years ago when we weren’t in a pandemic is weak. I had no desire to hunt the H until this year when I and many others have gotten to experience public land and get a few years of experience prior to stepping up to a more difficult property with very large, mature bucks.

Here’s a solution that will anger the old farts and those in opposition to my earlier comments:. I think 7 states allow you to take their bowhunter education course online with no field day or in person requirement. Those seven states also do not require you to be a resident of their state to take the online course. Our state will honor the completion of those other states’ bowhunter education due to reciprocity.

Happy hunting all!!!
                  There are ways to IBEP certified without doing a field day... move along

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                    This is the first year you've been able to put in without already having BHE. The proficiency test is taken after you draw. So nobody has been putting in for years without already having taken BHE.

EDIT: After looking at the regs, the last 2 years you have been allowed to apply without already having taken BHE. I apologize.

But again, it aint that hard, and hoping you have time to get your BHE between the draw and the hunt is an awfully tall task considering you'll have just over a month to complete it.

Bout to say, I know I had at least 2 years of applications without it.

I know it’s not hard.... but it isn’t even available to be done at this point. Field day scheduling has never, until this year, been a limiting factor.

Requiring a certification that isn’t being offered by the state is a shi-tty solution, regardless of how you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      There are ways to IBEP certified without doing a field day... move along

Cite these “ways” please, because the state website lists the field day as required.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                        And thy said nothing would change. It will still be magical. Once the newness wears off it will be spectacular.
                        So I am taking it that crossbows are aloud? I never though of them as archery erumpent....

Comment

Cite these “ways” please, because the state website lists the field day as required.
                          If you look at descriptions for the various states' online courses on www.bowhunter-ed.com, you'll find a variety of conditions for their classes. I found at least 5 states that, according to the info posted, allow non-residents to take the class without requiring a Field Day:
                          Idaho
                          Iowa
                          South Dakota
                          Utah
                          Wisconsin

That said, I know there will be at least a couple of Field Day courses offered in the North Tx area prior to the Hagerman hunts. I am an IBEP Instructor and will be setting up one of these classes. My class will be in Dallas; I'll announce class date and details on TBH once I finalize plans.

Comment

Guys, you realize you will probably have about a 4% chance of drawing. Still better than some of the other draws.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                              Guys, you realize you will probably have about a 4% chance of drawing. Still better than some of the other draws.
                              No way of knowing how many will apply, I expect a ton the first year, the chance of drawing Granger now is less than 4% now that its e-postcard and I highly doubt H is going to have better odds than Granger

Comment

Originally posted by rgb View Post
                                If you look at descriptions for the various states' online courses on www.bowhunter-ed.com, you'll find a variety of conditions for their classes. I found at least 5 states that, according to the info posted, allow non-residents to take the class without requiring a Field Day:

Idaho

Iowa

South Dakota

Utah

Wisconsin

That said, I know there will be at least a couple of Field Day courses offered in the North Tx area prior to the Hagerman hunts. I am an IBEP Instructor and will be setting up one of these classes. My class will be in Dallas; I'll announce class date and details on TBH once I finalize plans.
                                Exactly, rule is Bow Hunter Ed... not TX , OK, UT.... so getting a cert is getting a cert.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X