No announcement yet.

Draw hunts / Hagerman Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked with the staff, the below is current guidance- And my disclaimer- I'm just relaying the information, I'm not anywhere close to a decision maker.

Per the refuge, at this time- no longer a requirement for the Proficiency Test.

All archery equipment will be allowed, by my interpretation of the Grayson County regs, would open up crossbows, again a disclaimer-I'd encourage you to validate that on your own as I'm not a warden.

Shotgun slug issue is being worked on. If its not resolved by March, go by the written regs- and try to find non-lead buckshot. I ordered some a couple years ago from this site- https://www.iccammo.com/collections/shotgun

Comment

I wish they would move Seg A back in to October...

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
        I wish they would move Seg A back in to October...
        I wish they would have kept it as it has always been.

Comment

Crossbows would open up hagerman for my youngest, if he gets off his butt and takes the bowhunter course. I signed him up in any event.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
            I wish they would have kept it as it has always been.
            Well it would be in October check the Grayson county regs

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
              Hmmm state system and Kinsail corp screwed up, imagine that...
              I think Kinsail has been out of the picture for a few years. They didn't last long before we went back to mailing our applications directly to Gayle. I think her retiring is part of the problem.

Comment

be on the lookout

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                  Like he said, the hunt is way harder (or should be) than getting bowhunter ed. If someones not willing to spend one Saturday morning in a class to hunt at a place like H, they have no business hunting there.
                  It's bureaucracy. Thirty years of stab'n deer, turkeys, wild pigs, coyotes, rabbits (cotton and jack), squirrel, raccoon and occasional an armadillo or two... with ZERO accidents, a bow hunter education card is a joke.

I've taking it, same with hunter education, CHL and so on... just in the first paragraph of the bow hunter course it's clearly meant for a big city dweller who has never been outdoors... as a hunter and outdoorsmen, outter ancestors didn't learn hunting safety from an online course, lol. Experiences are how you learn and passed on through hunting with elders.

The worst is those who have had privilege to hunt the "H" or live nearby and read them complain about people getting a chance to get there and having to scope it out their first time...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Some people are killers, some are not. It shows up when you put psi on the trigger . Shoting at a target is no compression. JS my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueduck View Post
                      Some people are killers, some are not. It shows up when you put psi on the trigger . Shoting at a target is no compression. JS my 2 cents.
                      Put down the bottle

Comment

Draw hunts / Hagerman Open

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                        Like he said, the hunt is way harder (or should be) than getting bowhunter ed. If someones not willing to spend one Saturday morning in a class to hunt at a place like H, they have no business hunting there.

My only argument here is that they are no longer scheduling bow hunter Ed field days. So if someone gets drawn, and hasn’t already gotten the bow hunter’s ed for a separate reason, they appear to be SOL for haggerman.

Lots of people have zero reason to have gotten it prior. In years past, there was always plenty of time to get into one of the classes and field days before the hunt.... and this is the only hunt I know of that requires it.

If they hold to their “bow hunter class or nothing” mentality this year when classes won’t have been available state wide for 5-6 months prior to the hunt date, it is a complete slap in the face to guys who have been putting in for several years with the full intention to get certified if drawn.

I work out of state 250+ days a year, if I haven’t been drawn for a certification required hunt..... I haven’t spent the day neglecting my family time in a class “just in case”.

Instead... let me show up, shoot a course, maybe take a multiple choice test showing I understand the ethics and mechanics of bowhunting.... and let me hunt the hunt I was drawn.

Especially since it may be a once in a decade hunt in the best years now that it is on the state draw board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by IkemanTX; 07-16-2020, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                          My only argument here is that they are no longer scheduling bow hunter Ed field days. So if someone gets drawn, and hasn’t already gotten the bow hunter’s ed for a separate reason, they appear to be SOL for haggerman.

Lots of people have zero reason to have gotten it prior. In years past, there was always plenty of time to get into one of the classes and field days before the hunt.... and this is the only hunt I know of that requires it.

If they hold to their “bow hunter class or nothing” mentality this year when classes won’t have been available state wide for 5-6 months prior to the hunt date, it is a complete slap in the face to guys who have been putting in for several years with the full intention to get certified if drawn.

I work out of state 250+ days a year, if I haven’t been drawn for a certification required hunt..... I haven’t spent the day neglecting my family time in a class “just in case”.

Instead... let me show up, shoot a course, maybe take a multiple choice test showing I understand the ethics and mechanics of bowhunting.... and let me hunt the hunt I was drawn.

Especially since it may be a once in a decade hunt in the best years now that it is on the state draw board.

Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

I completed the bow hunter ed qualification course/tests in order to qualify for the field day. And then found out they may not be doing any field days due to Covid. However, I was put on a 'wait list' or something and will be notified if/when they have the field day. So maybe they will still do it if they get enough interest and have enough hunters to hold one? I guess we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                              I checked with the staff, the below is current guidance- And my disclaimer- I'm just relaying the information, I'm not anywhere close to a decision maker.

Per the refuge, at this time- no longer a requirement for the Proficiency Test.

All archery equipment will be allowed, by my interpretation of the Grayson County regs, would open up crossbows, again a disclaimer-I'd encourage you to validate that on your own as I'm not a warden.

Shotgun slug issue is being worked on. If its not resolved by March, go by the written regs- and try to find non-lead buckshot. I ordered some a couple years ago from this site- https://www.iccammo.com/collections/shotgun
                              According to this guy the refuge says no proficiency test. Y’all can stop arguing now. Lol

Comment

Is the proficiency test separate from bowhunter's ed cert?

Comment

Working...
                                X