No announcement yet.

Official 2019-2020 Lake Whitney and Aquilla Hunting and Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camped down at Hamm Creek this weekend. They’re open and following guidelines keeping everyone away from us. Threw out some lines but no fish were caught.

Jet ski’ers are in full swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My current net is a 7' diameter cheapie from Academy, got my eye on a 12' x half-inch Bait Buster on Amazon.

But- my throwing is just as bad as my net.

Comment

Razor, is it monofilament netting? Or a white nylon netting? Mono seems a bit stiffer. And seems to open much easier. Your welcome to come by and try mine. I have a 12' (aka 6' by the lables). 14' radius is the max the state allows. Just let me know.

There are several technique to throwing. I've used several since I first started back in the early '80s.

The fish are bite-n and there's hogs to be killed, gotta go!

Comment

Mine is mono, I may take you up on the demo.

Comment

Any time.

The fish are bite-n and there's hogs to be killed, gotta go!

Comment

Official 2019-2020 Lake Whitney and Aquilla Hunting and Fishing Thread

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
              Mine is mono, I may take you up on the demo.

I have an extra 6ft mono you’re more than welcome to. No way I could throw a 12” but maybe this would help you in some way. It’s brand new and still in the bag. I accidentally ordered 2 from Amazon. Let me know if you’d like to give it a shot.

Comment

Is it 6' radius or diameter? The Bait Buster I've been looking at on Amazon is 6 radius, so 12 overall, 1/2 mesh, 1.5 pounds per foot.

Comment

Is it 6' radius or diameter? The Bait Buster I've been looking at on Amazon is 6 radius, so 12 overall, 1/2 mesh, 1.5 pounds per foot.

That's nearly 60lbs.

12' x 3.141(Pi) = circumference = 37.69'

37.69' x 1.5lbs = 56.538lbs + net/rope/draw-slip-ring

Get your Wheaties on!

But, a good heavy net like that will get down quicker. Those bigger shad can swim fast! So getting it over them quick and down before they figure out where the exit is, is prime.

I'd also suggest a large box a foot or two tall to practice throwing from. It will simulate the height of your deck on the boat. Throwing at ground level is doable. And if you can learn to throw at ground level, throwing from a deck is gravy. I frequently wade banks in water knee deep. Getting the net up high enough takes a lot more. And is easier to error. Throwing from a simulated deck will also teach you balance and rhythm, which will help you make better cast when it comes time.

Comment

One of the simplest ways below. Sometimes I will make double or triple loops in the strong hand on the final graspof the weights. I've also done the same in reverse where I load it like I'm going to throw it left handed like this. But throw it right handed.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMp0Z5gyETk"]YouTube[/ame]

I've also done it this way.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaCNV16gzts"]YouTube[/ame]

And a few others.

Comment

I've been youtubing the throw, net should be delivered Friday.

Comment

I rcvd my net today, far and above my cheap Academy net- and I haven't even thrown it yet. Much heavier, and much more supple (supple is a term you Texans may not know).

Throwing tomorrow after a soaking and drying.

Comment

I always hang my mono nets by the ring/yoke to dry. And store it that way, out of the sun and weather. Letting the weights just touch the floor will take some of the storage stress off of it too. For transporting, 5 gallon bucket. And the bucket with an aerator is great for throwing bait in once caught, if you don't have a bait well.

Comment

Well I'm either going by boat with my brother or in my yak tomorrow to whitney. Any idea where the striper are?

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
                              Well I'm either going by boat with my brother or in my yak tomorrow to whitney. Any idea where the striper are?

Word is they’ve been hard to find but once you do it’s on like donkey kong! Good luck!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X