No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch out for rattlers. I got within 6 feet of a huge one last Sat. I thought it was a grasshopper making it's flying noise and landing right in front of me (the wind was strong and was hard to hear) Grass was super thick..I saw the rattle about 2' off the ground and one quick glimse of the 3-4" diameter body...turned to tell my son to not move, looked back and could not tell where it went LOL Talk about freaking out..it could have been 3" from my feet and I would not of been able to see it.. I got the heck out of there.

Too risky to be 2 miles in and get snake bit.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      Watch out for rattlers. I got within 6 feet of a huge one last Sat. I thought it was a grasshopper making it's flying noise and landing right in front of me (the wind was strong and was hard to hear) Grass was super thick..I saw the rattle about 2' off the ground and one quick glimse of the 3-4" diameter body...turned to tell my son to not move, looked back and could not tell where it went LOL Talk about freaking out..it could have been 3" from my feet and I would not of been able to see it.. I got the heck out of there.

Thats why I dont go at this time of year!! And cause of the ticks.

Comment

Hi everybody...newbie...been out to Granger a few times in the past month mostly between gates 6/7...thick bloodweeds since the heavy rains, been bluff charged by a hog I jumped in his bed (too suprised to get off a shot), and spotted a glimpse of another as he slipped off through the underbrush in the same area (again befoe I could get off a shot). I have also tried the area by the railroad trestles/tracks before all the rains hit, and only saw remains of a long dead hog and very little sign. Lots and lots of deer all over though the season's closed - they always know when the season's closed wherever you go, right? Intend to try Pecan Grove below the **** next and see what it's like. Having a good time learning about hog huntin'...not like Idaho elk, but ya gotta love anything that you can hunt all year 'round, no limits, and tastes so good. No problems with ticks (yet), or snakes, but I'm probably just lucky, lol. I'm sportin' snake boots just in case and being careful not to get my fat a** bit while a mile or so back in the brush in all this heat, and then having to figger a way to get out of there while under the influence of that wonderful venom...not gonna happen if I can help it!!! We have plenty of rattlers in Idaho, and I got used to getting around with them (give them space and time to move), but this stuff in Granger is so danged thick it's like you guys said...one could be 3" from you and you'd never know it, and snake boots aren't any help if one gets a hankerin' to take a chomp on you above knee level!!! So since I hunt alone and know what kind of pickle I'd be in if I got bit, I keep my radar on high alert as best I can. I have had a couple of those little translucent/brownish scorpians try to introduce themselves to me in the parking lot of gate 6 while I was changing which suprised me a bit, cause I had totally not even thought about them being a factor. I'm too stubborn (or stupid) to let ANYTHING keep me from my huntin'though...maybe I should take up hunting snakes and try not to get bit by a pesky pig and see if it helps my odds of success any(?)...murphy's law and all...anyway hello eveybody. I have gained quite a bit from reading the posts here and I'd like to say thanks for the useful info. I'll try to provide input from my excursions in case it might help others just the same...I also have tried Somerville once and saw a lot of sign, but that's another thread I think...

Comment

thinking about going out tomorrow mid day,maybe six or the spillway

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Hate this time of year just for that reason. Glad you and your son are OK.

Comment

How'd ya do on Sunday paintman? I'm planning on checking out Pecan Gove this coming Friday...as an obvious Granger afficionado would you recommend the North side of the River or the South side for a still hunt/spot & stalker like myself for my first crack at that area? Also re baiting...anybody please feel free to give me any input here...is it even worth trying if I can only manage one day a week, and can't bait, and come back the next day or so? Doesn't it take them a while to locate the stuff, and start coming in (as in more than one day)? And if it's worth trying for a day hunt, is that stuff they sell in the plastic jugs at the sporting goods stores (liquid) any good, or any of the eustress sow scents? Or is that stuff better at attracting hunters than pigs...curious...

Comment

Never made it,felt bad that my son had to work so i didnt go,thats the last time i let that stop me!!

Comment

Hogs better watch out....my foot is almost healed up enough to take a short hike out there. I am betting they could be found pretty easy coming and going from the corn fields.

Comment

Idaho, Man I put bait out and the dang cows are the ones eating it. Plus there is tons of other food right now. Not sure they would be too intrested in bait. Now with that said I always carry some bait with me. Put it out and if a piggy does happen to cross my path might just give me enough time to take a shot if they stop for a bit of food. Hog attractants well I think they are over priced junk. Could just be me. I think plain ol rotten corn is just as good. Add a bit of cool aid, jello or something to make it berry and sweet smelling cant hurt either.

Comment

That's too bad paintman...I'm sure your son appreciates your sympathies, and will remember what a loyal Dad he's got when it counts...

I'll bet it's going to get interesting out there now what with the corn getting higher, and all this wet weather...I'm going to try to get out there this Friday if I can manage it...wanna go back to the area between 6/7 but I also haven't been below the dam at Pecan Grove and am curious enough to want to at least spend one trip scouting it out...just wish wish Granger was closer to San Antone!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                        Idaho, Man I put bait out and the dang cows are the ones eating it. Plus there is tons of other food right now. Not sure they would be too intrested in bait. Now with that said I always carry some bait with me. Put it out and if a piggy does happen to cross my path might just give me enough time to take a shot if they stop for a bit of food. Hog attractants well I think they are over priced junk. Could just be me. I think plain ol rotten corn is just as good. Add a bit of cool aid, jello or something to make it berry and sweet smelling cant hurt either.
                        That's pretty smart about havin' a little hog goo along to keep 'em distracted to help get a shot lined up, I think I'll try to mix up an oil quart size bottle which wouldn't be too much to cart around all day in the fanny pack. I was wondering about the corn fields too...setting up an ambush from corn fields to water/waller holes and bedding areas would be a good idea. Hope whatever's wrong with your foot heals up quick for ya so's you can hunt again Dirty Mike.

Comment

Didn't go today. Jury Duty yesterday and day before while working nightshifts at the "insitution" got me too burned out to want to go anywhere today...grrr...so sometime next week I guess. Anybody have any input on how Granger compares with Somerville re hogs, and in particular how to go about things this time of year when it's so danged hot? I'd appreciate any tips guys. Thanks...

Comment

where is unit E at on Granger ???? How would I get to it coming from Hutto...Thanks for any info..

Comment

Originally posted by warrior62 View Post
                              where is unit E at on Granger ???? How would I get to it coming from Hutto...Thanks for any info..
                              Dunno ...I've got the same question though as I've heard that reference before. All I've noticed while at Granger, and in my Public Hunt Book is names sucha as Willis Unit, Pecan Grove, Primitive Boat Ramp, etc. - and numbers for entry points #6, #7, #8 etc...maybe the Unit E thing is some designation that folks who put in for controlled hunts there get in special maps showing the section they can apply for/hunt....which would explain why I have no clue...count me in with you as wanting to know...anybody??? Thanks in advance for an answer!

Comment

take 79 towards taylor then left on 95. once you get into centerville take a right at dutchess gas station. This will take you all the way to granger dam . Take a left on this or keep goin about a 1/4 mile and there is an entrance to pecan grove on left . Pecan grove has hogs there but everything is so overgrown its hard to find them. Stay on the cut roads and just listen for them. This is the best way right now untill around oct.

Comment

Working...
                                X