• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinInATX View Post

Two years ago during the freeze at Granger
    Oh dang! Nice pic of those two

Comment

Originally posted by JustinInATX View Post

Two years ago during the freeze at Granger

Haha I remember your post. Made me super jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post

Pretty exciting morning. Shot a 3rd but never recovered. Most action I’ve seen at granger.

Way to go! That’s a feat! What are you doing with them? Congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
          Way to go! That’s a feat! What are you doing with them? Congratulations

Spaghetti, stew and tacos mostly. Thanks!

Comment

Pretty exciting morning. Shot a 3rd but never recovered. Most action I’ve seen at granger.

Great job Deaf! I remember meeting you out there in San Gabriel last year. Good work. I hope to make it back up there sometime soon.

Comment

I've had no luck seeing any hogs these past few months, so I decided to change it up. Besides, my usual spot near Gate 6 has been busy with deer hunters. Last week, I walked up on one saddle hunter and another in a blind within 100 yards of each other.

So, I decided to try Pecan Grove today. If nothing else, I got some new cold weather hunting for Christmas, so I was looking forward to trying it out. I studied this thread with keyword searches last night to prepare and had my game plan. There was only one truck when I pulled up, so it was looking good as far as not crossing paths with other hunters. I went south of the spillway and pushed about as far down river as I could go to avoid any other hunters. Then I came across an old grain silo and the road turned in so I followed it on in just kinda scouting the place. Y'all! I STILL came up on the other hunter sitting in a ground blind!

I did find some hog signs but never saw any hogs. The new gear worked great though! If that was one of y'all in the blind - my bad. I really was trying to avoid anyone.

Do y'all have any good lunch spots around the lake?

Comment

Originally posted by PecanBuck View Post
                Great job Deaf! I remember meeting you out there in San Gabriel last year. Good work. I hope to make it back up there sometime soon.

Thanks buddy! Were you the deer hunter who lost a quiver there last season?

Comment

I went to Granger last week. On Sat morning I walked down the spillway to the powerline where Deaf got those hogs. As I was walking up the clear cut road, I saw the popup blind 10 yards off the to the right and stopped and looked. Then as I took 3 steps forward a group of hogs busted out of the tall grass, no more then 6 feet from me. Bunch of small ones and maybe one mama, they did not stop in the clear for a shot. Mama stopped about 20 yard in the tall grass and grunted and growled at me then they headed off. Will try that spot maybe in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Lost10mm: If you want to hunt Pecan Grove, try these. (going back to the maps on page 1 of this thread) Checkpoint VII is just lousy with hog sign, you can smell the feces. You reach it the same way you were going, down the old power line easement running south from the regular spillway. alas, you will run afowl of draw hunters on this route. If you want to avoid draw hunters, try starting at the dam overlook facility on Granger Dam road, then walk to the northeast along the north bank of the emergency spillway. In particular, just east of checkpoint IX there is a gully that enters the spillway. The grassy area just east of that intersection also has a lot of sign, and, no draw hunters. Finally, the area between checkpoint II and III is where a lot of hogs ford the regular spillway, so they are often seen there. Good luck and stick one!

Comment

Hey NavyChief, any idea when they're gonna fly and bust the piggies up? Thinking about making a trip soon but don't want to get the Vietnam experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                        Hey NavyChief, any idea when they're gonna fly and bust the piggies up? Thinking about making a trip soon but don't want to get the Vietnam experience.

Man they better wait til after granger ranger. Don’t they shut the place down for the heli hunts?

Comment

If history proves out they'll fly a couple weeks prior to GRXH.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
                            Lost10mm: If you want to hunt Pecan Grove, try these. (going back to the maps on page 1 of this thread) Checkpoint VII is just lousy with hog sign, you can smell the feces. You reach it the same way you were going, down the old power line easement running south from the regular spillway. alas, you will run afowl of draw hunters on this route. If you want to avoid draw hunters, try starting at the dam overlook facility on Granger Dam road, then walk to the northeast along the north bank of the emergency spillway. In particular, just east of checkpoint IX there is a gully that enters the spillway. The grassy area just east of that intersection also has a lot of sign, and, no draw hunters. Finally, the area between checkpoint II and III is where a lot of hogs ford the regular spillway, so they are often seen there. Good luck and stick one!
                            I just saw this - thankyou! I should be going out again in a few weeks, so I'll use this.

Comment

Man they better wait til after granger ranger. Don’t they shut the place down for the heli hunts?

No the wma is still open when they fly. Good way to get some free pork!

Comment

Went out this morning. Stalked in on a group of 4 small pigs. Ranged em at about 18.5 yards. As I was drawing one noticed me and grunted. They all ran what seemed about 10 yards and stopped. Put my 30 yard pin on the biggest one and let her fly. Clean miss over the back and they all spooked into the great wide yonder. Ranged the nearest tree when the dust had settled and found I should’ve split the difference at about 25 yards. Tough to tell on little pigs. Fun encounter though.

Comment

Working...
                                X