No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. Take em down put em right back up couple times a week. Name tagged etched with name address and number. Good enough for you ranger rick?

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
      Yep. Take em down put em right back up couple times a week. Name tagged etched with name address and number. Good enough for you ranger rick?

Yes sir, thanks for abiding by the laws of the land.

Comment

Originally posted by HogStalker View Post
        Yes sir, thanks for abiding by the laws of the land.
        lol never seen that sticker before. Nice!

Gave up my gym membership setting those stands up and taking them down every 3 days is enough of a workout

Comment

I enjoy the view from some of them. Putting my son in the double lockon setup with me this weekend!

Comment

Wish I could get up more often.

Comment

1 year archery hunting. 1 pig jumped at very close range in the Ragweed and zero chance to take a shot. Masses of corn and pears and only deer interested. Hope I get drawn! Only other pigs I have seen were in the river while fishing and before I got back to archery. Oh well, broke and too much time on my hands so here I come again. I guess I could buy a pig and shoot in my backyard? I will bait as I have bait available. I observed a feeder during deer season last year nice set up and the pigs beat a highway to it. Assume all at night. I stayed very far away of course and just saw from a distance on a well human traveled path. Unsure of what to do next but heck or high water I am in.

Comment

Hunt escape cover with two or three archers.

Comment

There's lots of different strategies out there. Bloodtrailer says you can bait them, Wudstix says push heavy cover, Carnage shoots them up the chute as they run away, NavyChief just waves his magic wand...

TooMuchSun, if what you're doing isn't working, change tactics! I remember a while back Sorefinger was actually a good spot because the flooding pushed all the hogs out of the timber and closer to the walk in points. Biggest hog I've ever seen was in the chest high weeds. These hogs will always need food and shelter, and their favorite places change with the seasons. Figure out what they're eating, where they're gonna go sleep, check the wind, and then make a plan.

Comment

Slow down when you hunt. Walk ten yards and stop, pick the brush apart piece by piece, use binos if you have to. They're like quail out there and don't flush sometimes until you step on em'. Chances are if you're not seeing pigs, you're likely walking right past a lot of them. Use your ears too. Over the years I killed a lot of them by hunting calm days and listening for movement. They're not exactly quiet when they go crashing through the bloodweeds. I'd run my ace off to get ahead of them, and sometimes I'd luck out and they'd come right to me.

Comment

Not so much push as ease up down wind until they get nervous and move. Have one or two shooters posted of to the sides crosswind to take the shot.

Comment

That made me lol Trumpkin. They can definitely be killed many different ways and different strategies. Weve killed them just about anyway you can out there pushes stalking stands and just getting plain lucky at times.

Ready for some cooler weather so we can actually enjoy being out there instead of thinking your gonna pass out from the heat.

Comment

10/4 on the high weeds. I know where they go in most areas at night. Just not where they hide between. Multi hunters make sense but that is my Pig (joking). And saw some serious wallows heavy used last long hike a while back. A spot my canoe might work to approach, land and walk. And have the boat to leave and ice on hand? Last year I found a grain field next to the Corp land they visited through the fence and found blood on the our legal hunt area so someone did ok. This year it was cotton so no pig draw. Hard work but my not so skinny bottom can use the sweat and adventure.

Comment

For those of us who don’t live close by the spot and stalk method is all that is available.

Comment

I think I've figured it out... You only get a pig at Granger when you've sweated a hog's weight in water. Pretty sure I added 5 lbs of sweat to my Granger hog bank last night. Heard them squealing, but they were on the other side of the river.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                                I think I've figured it out... You only get a pig at Granger when you've sweated a hog's weight in water. Pretty sure I added 5 lbs of sweat to my Granger hog bank last night. Heard them squealing, but they were on the other side of the river.
                                That is why I like some pirate flotilla. And dynamite. But I prefer to sleep at home vs. Wilco accommodations.

Comment

Working...
                                X