No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed out after work today placing cameras and looking spots over.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
      Nice buck. Wondering if chiggers are very bad. Grass was tall last visit and I am getting bit in my "in town" back yard lately which is not usually a concern. I hate em!!!!
      The last 4-5times I went out I haven't had any issues with chiggers, I always spray my pants with Sawyer and and my socks with deep woods Off..plus I have gaiters on top of all that.

Comment

Originally posted by DHOutdoorsman View Post
        The last 4-5times I went out I haven't had any issues with chiggers, I always spray my pants with Sawyer and and my socks with deep woods Off..plus I have gaiters on top of all that.
        Our chiggers and mosquitos in texas eat gaitors:

Comment

and I would use some diesel to deter but hogs like that and yep want to draw em in but they might find me tasty as well. Off sounds good!

Comment

I sprayed Sawyers inside and outside my pant legs, around waist, shirt, and deep woods 40% deet on legs, arms, neck, and hat.

While rummaging around a bedding area trying to determine which tree to place camera on I noticed a brown puffy looking ball on my arm, about 1/2 the size of a cotton ball. Not thinking anything of it I flipped it with my finger. We about half of it went flying and the other half started crawling. It was a wad of sea ticks 1/16 or less in size. The deet spray did its job and kept them within a 2" circle but most were able to dig in and get ahold of skin. See how they were not advancing the attack I kept on with task at hand and headed to the truck when finished. At the truck I sprayed both arms again with deep woods on top of all ticks and drove home. While in the shower all that I could see released and washed off. For peace of mind I took a shower in the dog flea/tick shampoo. Needless to say I dreamt of ticks crawling all night.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
              I sprayed Sawyers inside and outside my pant legs, around waist, shirt, and deep woods 40% deet on legs, arms, neck, and hat.

While rummaging around a bedding area trying to determine which tree to place camera on I noticed a brown puffy looking ball on my arm, about 1/2 the size of a cotton ball. Not thinking anything of it I flipped it with my finger. We about half of it went flying and the other half started crawling. It was a wad of sea ticks 1/16 or less in size. The deet spray did its job and kept them within a 2" circle but most were able to dig in and get ahold of skin. See how they were not advancing the attack I kept on with task at hand and headed to the truck when finished. At the truck I sprayed both arms again with deep woods on top of all ticks and drove home. While in the shower all that I could see released and washed off. For peace of mind I took a shower in the dog flea/tick shampoo. Needless to say I dreamt of ticks crawling all night.
              Ticks wig me out. I don't want ANYTHING to do with lyme disease. I always wear a hat, long sleeves, a neck gaiter, and pants that are heavily sprayed with Sawyers every 4-5 washes. I did find a tick halfway up my pants at the end of a trip to Granger, but it was already dead.

Comment

How do you apply for the granger deer hunt? I’m not seeing in on the drawn hints site. ThankYou

Comment

It's an e-postcard hunt and will be open to apply on Aug 15

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                    It's an e-postcard hunt and will be open to apply on Aug 15
                    ThankYou

Comment

Need to get out there to try out my Big River longbow with current set up. To see effectiveness.

Comment

Anyone have plans for late August or September trip for piggies ?

Comment

Bought a canoe vs my kayaks so can carry a bit more. But 100 Plus is too darn hot. I have mass of pears on my tree I think piggies will like so, get the shades on and try to find a sore finger spot to feed them pears. Heat wind and maybe even drowning for a smelly pig?

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                            Anyone have plans for late August or September trip for piggies ?
                            Morbid heat. Crossbow! Short trip. Old man here. What the heck. Canoe Huckleberry Finn. Maybe just stab em with the bow!

Comment

Water access guys few general questions please.
                              I’ve never hunted granger but driving and looking at access points it looks like water may be a way to avoid some of the crowd. I mostly hunt weekdays so that may help too. Hoping to draw a deer tag but I’d be interested in pigs too.
                              Have kayak will travel just Want a little more info before getting wet.
                              1. From the primitive launch and videos the bank looks very steep. Can you find areas to bank up and access in and out easily East and west of the launch?
                              2. I see what look like islands East towards the lake, worth looking at, swamp or too many snakes to consider?
                              3. Do I have to worry about my yak getting stolen on the river or should I plan to drag it up the bank?
                              4. Do you worry about a lot of fluctuations in river level or flow?
                              Are there any other launch areas I should study more?
                              Hope it’s not too much. Any other pointers you want to throw in are appreciated too.
                              PM’s ok too, wasn’t sure to to ask these questions
                              Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                                Morbid heat. Crossbow! Short trip. Old man here. What the heck. Canoe Huckleberry Finn. Maybe just stab em with the bow!

Lol I can only imagine this time of year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X